• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I seriously doubt our ability to crack the top four under Emery.

I think this summer could be super painful as Emery works to build the squad in his image, and we end up with an exceptionally average and unbalanced squad.

It is still astonishing how he failed to make the top four considering how easy our schedule was at the end of the season. And getting destroyed in the Europa League final by Chelsea like that should have resulted in his firing.

He really is an abysmal coach, who also happens to be one of the best interviewers ever.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I think this summer could be super painful as Emery works to build the squad in his image, and we end up with an exceptionally average and unbalanced squad.

At least we won't regress like ManUtd did if that happens. In the most negative scenario we'll be keeping the status quo which is not ideal but not the worst, seeing how others coped after trying to rebuild.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Even though we were outsiders, Wenger used to get asked if we will win the league at the start of every season. Now journalists don’t even bother asking that. We’ve fallen so far.

Well it's part Wenger's fault that we're in the position we're in now thanks to falling out of the top 4, slipping behind Sp**s and then in his final season finishing 6th without even putting up a fight for top 4 let alone even thinking about a title. I think that might be the reason no one talks about winning the title now. I bet Wenger certainly wouldn't be asked anymore if he was still here.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
At least we won't regress like ManUtd did if that happens. In the most negative scenario we'll be keeping the status quo which is not ideal but not the worst, seeing how others coped after trying to rebuild.

We don't see eye to eye on Emery and I do doubt the weigth of rebuild to a certain degree, but I agree with you here.

I always found the comparison to post Ferguson not fitting, because in my book that's one of the biggest **** ups in football. You have to be a certain kind of stupid to **** the bed like they did. Even more than Gazidis and co.

But yeah, if we are to see another season like this it's at least keeping level with the last two. You can still go from there. I would be more concerned if it was 5 EL seasons in a row or even dropping out of that, but I doubt Wolves, Everton etc are there yet to seriously challenge for Top 6 next season.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Well it's part Wenger's fault that we're in the position we're in now thanks to falling out of the top 4, slipping behind Sp**s and then in his final season finishing 6th without even putting up a fight for top 4 let alone even thinking about a title. I think that might be the reason no one talks about winning the title now. I bet Wenger certainly wouldn't be asked anymore if he was still here.

Well said. Some people seem to think Emerys been here 22 years.

He's been dealt a bum hand at Arsenal with bang average players. It's funny because at the start of the season most people slagging Emery now would have said ok. Stabilise the club so we didn't fall into the 8th/9th/10th spots.

Make a challenge or get somewhere close to top 4. A solid aim would have been a cup run and maybe winning a cup. He got to the final and played a team who's players turned up. And ours didn't. That's not Emerys fault because if it was and he couldn't motivate these players what happened against Chelsea, Sp**s, United this season? We got decent points of them when usually we struggle.

People need to stop trying to dig Emery out just because maybe just maybe they still dream of Wenger winning us a league and proving everyone they were right to want to keep him.

If you list our 5 worst players all of them them would be Wenger signings. Not Emerys.

Tir Na Nog

Well said. Some people seem to think Emerys been here 22 years.

He's been dealt a bum hand at Arsenal with bang average players. It's funny because at the start of the season most people slagging Emery now would have said ok. Stabilise the club so we didn't fall into the 8th/9th/10th spots.

Make a challenge or get somewhere close to top 4. A solid aim would have been a cup run and maybe winning a cup. He got to the final and played a team who's players turned up. And ours didn't. That's not Emerys fault because if it was and he couldn't motivate these players what happened against Chelsea, Sp**s, United this season? We got decent points of them when usually we struggle.

People need to stop trying to dig Emery out just because maybe just maybe they still dream of Wenger winning us a league and proving everyone they were right to want to keep him.

If you list our 5 worst players all of them them would be Wenger signings. Not Emerys.

You see the Mustafi's, a finished Koscielny, a finished Monreal, Kolasinac, someone like Jenkinson still being at the club, Xhaka with his limitations, an unmotivated declining Özil, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi who hasn't progressed, Cech and in general a bit of an unbalanced squad. All brought in by Wenger inherited by Emery. What was he suppose to do sort this all out the second he got in the door? Let's not forget he inherited the Ramsey situation too, a situation that thankfully the new regime don't want us ever being in again but a situation we found ourselves in countless times with the likes of Nasri, Van Persie, Walcott, Alexis, Özil, etc.

It absolutely amazes me that people still bring up Wenger as if he's completely blameless in terms of where we are. I mean if you want to have a dig at Emery and aspects of his management style then fine but people are being such revisionists with Wenger now and have completed erased the final few seasons from their memory.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We totally could do a ManU. I think Emery is basically a Spanish David Moyes. Except ManU went from competing for the title to falling into the competition for fourth. For us, we've already fallen to a Europa League team despite having the easiest path to fourth place, and we totally could get worse.

I still remember during Moyes' first season that ManU began heavily attacking down the wings and relied on crosses for most of their goals. Moyes even spent big money on Fellaini so that ManU could play his system. He did not know how to develop the intricate passing and dominate the midfield that top teams require.

In Emery's first season most of our creativity came from Bellerin and Kolasinac on the flanks, and all we heard from Emery was that central playmakers like Ramsey and Özil couldn't fit in his system. Emery has no idea how to control a match, and this is mid-table caliber coaching.

This summer is going to be a mediocre nightmare.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
You see the Mustafi's, a finished Koscielny, a finished Monreal, Kolasinac, someone like Jenkinson still being at the club, Xhaka with his limitations, an unmotivated declining Özil, Mkhitaryan, Iwobi who hasn't progressed, Cech and in general a bit of an unbalanced squad. All brought in by Wenger inherited by Emery. What was he suppose to do sort this all out the second he got in the door? Let's not forget he inherited the Ramsey situation too, a situation that thankfully the new regime don't want us ever being in again but a situation we found ourselves in countless times with the likes of Nasri, Van Persie, Walcott, Alexis, Özil, etc.

It absolutely amazes me that people still bring up Wenger as if he's completely blameless in terms of where we are. I mean if you want to have a dig at Emery and aspects of his management style then fine but people are being such revisionists with Wenger now and have completed erased the final few seasons from their memory.
The total dishonesty is what makes you sick. Glad I only see it in here tbh.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
We totally could do a ManU. I think Emery is basically a Spanish David Moyes. Except ManU went from competing for the title to falling into the competition for fourth. For us, we've already fallen to a Europa League team despite having the easiest path to fourth place, and we totally could get worse.
Erm... We became a EL team under Wenger, and the foundations were being laid years ago, when we were failing to address glaring weaknesses in the squad. You do remember as far back as that, right, or did you wake up from a coma last summer? If you did, I wish I woke up at the same time.

Tir Na Nog

Erm... We became a EL team under Wenger, and the foundations were being laid years ago, when we were failing to address glaring weaknesses in the squad. You do remember as far back as that, right, or did you wake up from a coma last summer?

The writing has been on the wall since the 2015 summer transfer window, only signing Cech when we needed a striker, a midfielder and probably a CB given Mertesacker was aging and had apparently lost motivation in his own words. The following season we finished on 71 points, 10 less than champions Leicester and were lucky (hard to believe I'm saying that considering we finished 10 points off Leicester) that Chelsea, City et al were so bad that season that even tho we were mediocre most of the season we still managed to scrape second spot.

What's happened in the seasons followed has been basically that summer window catching up on us. in 2016 we knew we couldn't neglect anymore and we had to sign players in key positions unfortunately our response was getting in Xhaka followed by panic buying Perez and Mustafi near the end of the window. Btw, I shouldn't leave out the signing of Elneny mid-way between the two summers and forcing us to be stuck with another average midfielder. We got what we deserved fell out of top 4. The following season we declined even further.

Poor planning, poor management, everything was a mess. An absolute shambles.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The writing has been on the wall since the 2015 summer transfer window, only signing Cech when we needed a striker, a midfielder and probably a CB given Mertesacker was aging and had apparently lost motivation in his own words. The following season we finished on 71 points, 10 less than champions Leicester and were lucky (hard to believe I'm saying that considering we finished 10 points off Leicester) that Chelsea, City et al were so bad that season that even tho we were mediocre most of the season we still managed to scrape second spot.

What's happened in the seasons followed has been basically that summer window catching up on us. in 2016 we knew we couldn't neglect anymore and we had to sign players in key positions unfortunately our response was getting in Xhaka followed by panic buying Perez and Mustafi near the end of the window. Btw, I shouldn't leave out the signing of Elneny mid-way between the two summers and forcing us to be stuck with another average midfielder. We got what we deserved fell out of top 4. The following season we declined even further.

Poor planning, poor management, everything was a mess. An absolute shambles.
Everyone saw it. That's what makes it terrible. We then went full spaz and raided Lidl, which was the nail in the coffin. Put us back even further. Jesus christ

:rofl:

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Not Emerys.

Emery hasn't signed anyone. Last summer's transfers were all down to which ever combination of Mislintat and Sanllehi.

This squad is certainly lacking but nowhere near as bad as made out, especially in light of last summer's additions.

If you look at the poll on here I think a lot of people voted for a CL return, not "stabilize" in the Top 6, which is ridiculous to say the least, because the club has apart from the last two Wenger seasons always been a stable CL club. For whom would Arsenal drop out of the Top 6 anyway. And I'm saying that not even being one of those aiming for Top 4.

He got to the final and played a team who's players turned up. And ours didn't. That's not Emerys fault

Whose is it then? In certain off the rails situations you can either point to the manager or the squad playing against him, but I did see neither. So as much as it was down to the player, the manager bottled it in this case. And not just the EL Final, but also the run in in the league.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Erm... We became a EL team under Wenger, and the foundations were being laid years ago, when we were failing to address glaring weaknesses in the squad. You do remember as far back as that, right, or did you wake up from a coma last summer? If you did, I wish I woke up at the same time.

How far back do you remember? This point is pretty simple. I said that we are already a Europe League team, and that we are already behind where ManU was when Ferguson left.

Obviously, Wenger got us into the Europa League, but Emery's job was to get us back into the Champions League. He has won multiple Europa Leagues, and we had just spent big money on Laca and PEA in Wenger's last season in a bid to get back into the Champions League.

No one is saying that our team and club don't have any issues, but the theme of the entire campaign was that we were a Champions League caliber team who had a rough season.

With a handful of matches left we had the easiest path to the top four compared to Sp**s, Chelsea, and ManU, and we had the worst run of form for the entire season. And then we got humiliated against Chelsea in the Europa League final.

A better coach than Emery finds a way to get us in the Champions League next season. Emery is a Europa League caliber coach, and so long as he is our coach we'll be Europa League at best.

Dregen57

Europa leauge is not that bad anymore..relax look at Liverpool they were miles away from city last season, only one point less this season . Emery deserves at least one more season in my view

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
I do wonder if Emery put more value on his reputation as a serial winner of the Europa Cup, than on finishing in the top four - Wenger had never won a European cup, and had failed to get beyond the semis of the EL, but had finished in the top four many many times, so perhaps Emery thought the Europa Cup would bring him more personal glory

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I do wonder if Emery put more value on his reputation as a serial winner of the Europa Cup, than on finishing in the top four - Wenger had never won a European cup, and had failed to get beyond the semis of the EL, but had finished in the top four many many times, so perhaps Emery thought the Europa Cup would bring him more personal glory
So you're saying he told them to go out and not try as hard against Palace, Leicester etc, and to concede the odd silly penalty for good measure, because he might just value his reputation as a serial EL winner? That makes no sense when you unravel it.

I think you are onto something here mate! Nobody draws with CP or Brighton at home when top4 is at stake unless he really don't want top4!

GDeep™

League is very weak
Whatever my thoughts on Emery, and I think he’s a top manager, I’ll alway sympathise with any Arsenal manager given the situation of this club.

You’re expected to get top 4 and compete when all your rival managers have more resources and backing. When you’re signing guys like Carrasco you know the struggle is real.

Good luck to Emery next year. I’m probably not watching some of it as I’m travelling, but he’s going to need it.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Thank you some sense. I know for sure a lot of people on here slagging Emery like its a sport were actually of the opinion that this season was a free pass as long as it wasn't terrible. I have friends who changed their tone as the season went on, I just think its just purely plastic. Letting the emotions get ahead of them instead of being cool headed and looking at it logically (not saying everyone who doesn't support Emery is guilty of this).

I genuinely think that Emery actually getting us so close to the top4 and the EL trophy actually did him harm in terms of how some fans thought of his first season here. It shows how tribal football fans can be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom