• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tourbillion

Angry & Miserable
The 2015 summer looks more and more like that was the start of Gazidis meddling.

Wenger was seeing all these stat dna monsters getting put to him and decided to risk his life by signing just Cech, to save us all.

Sadly, the power above tortured him the following summers and got their way.
'15 was certainly the beginning of the end alright.

We had accumulated Cazorla, then Özil and then Sanchez. Another top addition or two in 2015 would have seen us win the league that season.

Shocking.

MustOezil

Can you refute itt?

Emery is facing greater constraints.

Emery is facing greater constraints in terms of spending as a percentage of revenue - sure, if you compare it to Wengers first few seasons.

But that doesn't mean you can say they are of the same caliber. Emery hasn't worked any wonders and delivered what was the worst season we've seen in terms of footballing philosophy, tactics and man management.

14Henry

Looking for receipts 👀
Emery is facing greater constraints in terms of spending as a percentage of revenue - sure, if you compare it to Wengers first few seasons.

But that doesn't mean you can say they are of the same caliber. Emery hasn't worked any wonders and delivered what was the worst season we've seen in terms of footballing philosophy, tactics and man management.

All this football philosophy is made up. People seem to think you have to play beautiful football to have a philosophy and if you don't play that way you don't have one.

Football is a results business. What has Chelseas "footballing" philosophy been? Real Madrids? Define a football philosophy.

What was Sir Alexs "philosophy" at Man United? High press every match? Free flowing tiki take football?

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser

Emery doesn't have one of the greatest back 5s in football history, Bergkamp, Wright etc and just Man Utd as his competition.

Worst season in terms of footballing philosophy, tactics and man management? Have you seen the squad Wenger assembled during the previous seasons, the way we were playing and the fact that we were a laughing stock for such a long period of time?

I don't see a lot difference between them in terms of their results and achievements relative to their resources.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Anyway, I'm done posting in this thread for now. Lets see what happens in the transfer market and then we'll get a proper idea of what can happen next season and what can we expect of Emery to do. Like I said, before I'm not happy with how the season ended at all but I didn't expect us to be in that position to begin with. Its not all bad or all great.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
And yet we performed good in most of those games, bar Anfield

Lmao.

1-3 and 0-2 vs city
0-2 vs spuds
1-3 vs united
1-5 vs pool
1-4 vs chelsea

These are disgraceful results.

Not to mention the likes of Wolves and Leicester embarrassing us.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
Lmao.

1-3 and 0-2 vs city
0-2 vs spuds
1-3 vs united
1-5 vs pool
1-4 vs chelsea

These are disgraceful results.

Not to mention the likes of Wolves and Leicester embarrassing us.

I was talking about the league, forgot to mention that.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
People seem to think you have to play beautiful football to have a philosophy and if you don't play that way you don't have one.

No one says that. Catenaccio qualifies as a philosophy as much as tiki taka or the gegenpress. So does parking the bus.

What has Chelseas "footballing" philosophy been? Real Madrids?

I think everyone can agree that Mourinho has a very specific brand of football - a philosophy - he employs at every club he's been at.

Zidane has a rather pragmatic and balanced approach, kind of like Ferguson. SAF's teams were pretty much well oiled machines focused on getting the job done, tailored to what he had at his disposal. They could be set up rather "countery" but then he also had some very flairful attacking sides, e.g. when he had the trio of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez in 07/08 iirc.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
No one says that. Catenaccio qualifies as a philosophy as much as tiki taka or the gegenpress. So does parking the bus.

I think everyone can agree that Mourinho has a very specific brand of football - a philosophy - he employs at every club he's been at.

Zidane has a rather pragmatic and balanced approach, kind of like Ferguson. SAF's teams were pretty much well oiled machines focused on getting the job done, tailored to what he had at his disposal. They could be set up rather "countery" but then he also had some very flairful attacking sides, e.g. when he had the trio of Rooney, Ronaldo, Tevez in 07/08 iirc.
Yup, no doubt about it. SAF could play attacking, defensive or a combo of the two. Proper manager that!

Toby

Some inside stuff from transfermarkt, so take it how ever you want to:

Apparently Emery has been very negative in his contact with and evaluation of the team when addressing the players, for which he's earned club internal criticism from early on.

The club had apparently brought in external people to mentally coach/speak with the team to help instill a new positive/dominant identity during pre season which supposedly is/was completely at odds with Emery's underdog mentality.

The idea in pre season was, amongst other things, to instill an atmosphere of power and positivity - basically going full throttle - when coming onto the Emirates pitch, transport that onto the audience as to create/provoke an emotional response - to which Emery agreed when he arrived, but then undermined this by demanding a calm, slow and risk averse approach at home.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Yup, no doubt about it. SAF could play attacking, defensive or a combo of the two. Proper manager that!
Saw elements of that sort of play last season and Emery said that's what he is trying to achieve.

SAF hired assistants and delegated. There was no clear philosophy.

Toby

Saw elements of that sort of play last season and Emery said that's what he is trying to achieve.

Hm. I think there's a massive difference in SAF's well oiled machines which usually did lean towards a certain approach over the course of a season depending on the player material, and Emery's weekly changing chameleon where you got the impression not a lot of gears are clicking no matter if the approach on the day is defensive, balanced or offensive, low block, midfield press or whatever - even if at the end both those managers essentially qualify as being pragmatic.

Anyway, I think it's of no worth to on top of Wenger now get SAF into the Emery comparison game. It'll end up with "but Ferguson needed three seasons to win the First Division (2n league) with St. Mirren in 1977, so give Emery time!". Absolutely no interest in that.

Toby

I mean, isn't that a philosophy in itself, though? Being pragmatic in that you don't adhere to one approach all of the time, but adapt to what players you have at your disposal, who you can and do bring in, what happens in football generally - adapting to that by keeping your staff fresh and up to date - and relying heavily on man managementand mentality. I do think that's a very clear idea on how to run a club/team.

Not outright adhering to the same approach over a season or a whole career even don't equate not having a clear philosophy.

In the end everything is measured by if it works or not, anyway.

<<reed>>

Lidl Tir Na Nog
Some inside stuff from transfermarkt, so take it how ever you want to:

Apparently Emery has been very negative in his contact with and evaluation of the team when addressing the players, for which he's earned club internal criticism from early on.

The club had apparently brought in external people to mentally coach/speak with the team to help instill a new positive/dominant identity during pre season which supposedly is/was completely at odds with Emery's underdog mentality.

The idea in pre season was, amongst other things, to instill an atmosphere of power and positivity - basically going full throttle - when coming onto the Emirates pitch, transport that onto the audience as to create/provoke an emotional response - to which Emery agreed when he arrived, but then undermined this by demanding a calm, slow and risk averse approach at home.
Sickening.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
I mean, isn't that a philosophy in itself, though? Being pragmatic in that you don't adhere to one approach all of the time, but adapt to what players you have at your disposal, who you can and do bring in, what happens in football generally - adapting to that by keeping your staff fresh and up to date - and relying heavily on man managementand mentality. I do think that's a very clear idea on how to run a club/team.

Not outright adhering to the same approach over a season or a whole career even don't equate not having a clear philosophy.

In the end everything is measured by if it works or not, anyway.
Yeah, you can say that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom