• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Our next two fixtures will give us a good indication of how this season will go, regardless of the injuries.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Our long term projections when we moved to Emirates said we could go three seasons without CL, so we must qualify this season. We got our targets and we're still attractive but players still want CL appearances so it's vital imo.
Im sure our projections did not factor the massive rise in domestic TV rights which a former manager recently said made CL qualification less important.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Im sure our projections did not factor the massive rise in domestic TV rights which a former manager recently said made CL qualification less important.
Of course they didn't. TV money is a massive unforseen bonus. We should still try for CL not only for the prestige and to stop eating in to the new reserves we have. Winning the CL for example, would have virtually paid for most of this summer's expenditure.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What I don't understand is that he is supposed to be very knowledgable tactically, yet we concede so many chances against any small useless team.

I just don't believe that conceding more shots at home (18) against Burnley than attempting (16) is due to our players not being able to defend.

What I noticed during our games is that our midfielders rarely connect properly (not just in the last game, but I picked it for example).

In the big home games last season, where we played well (e.g. Sp**s, Liverpool) we played a much tighter midfield.

5gmfmwp40mh31.jpg

For me this seems purely a structural issue, we let teams run past us, our midfield is not set up properly. We should be playing the midfield trio much closer to each other. The midfielders don't connect with each other, Guendouzi and Willock should have a much stronger connection if we want to control games better.

Compare our passing to the top teams, it is obvious they control the game through 1) midfielders being closer to the defenders, 2) passing between central players (either two CBs or two CMs):

5oggqgzut9j21.jpg

PMCity.jpg
WFjKjmm.jpg
Shows how good Monreal was in that game. So much came through him. What a player, even at his age.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
Why would it when they are separate deals?

The Premier League rights have increased at a crazy rate and the overall money received is divided between less clubs. 20 teams in the PL as opposed to 32 teams in the CL group stage, not to mention all the qualifying rounds.

There is a good article below although its from 2018
https://www.goal.com/en-ie/news/pre...ions-league-la-liga/2rkcwfj4whaz15b0bhf378l3t
Did you notice the part where they said that the Leicester earned more money than Real Madrid inspite of Madrid winning it and Leicester only reaching the Quarter Finals. Its obvious that the English teams are making more money because of higher viewership for them.

Iceman10

Established Member
"They have no future at Arsenal" regarding Mustafi and Elneny is perfect from Emery. Always good to see more decisiveness and ruthlessness brought into the club. That, and us not being a soft touch with Kos.

https://www.independent.co.uk/sport...eny-unai-emery-future-next-club-a9075671.html

This season is make or break for Emery, depending on whether he secures CL football for 2020/21, but regardless from what I've seen he definitely isn't doing any harm as far as the club is concerned. It is just a matter of how long it takes us to get back to elite level.

Great to see the club making good decisions regarding transfers. Shipping elneny and mustafi out has been long time coming. When your coming out with them publicly as they have today suggests we might be struggling to get rid.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
His English has come on in leaps and bounds, so much credit to him for the work he must have put in there - if he can improve his accent he will be an example to other foreign managers who have made a lot less effort

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
It's also proof that he is thinking further than his 2y contract and he really wants to succeed here.
While I agree in theory we also have to keep in mind that his position is almost akin to that of a GM at a big corporate. Part of the job is to look forward to times you may not possibly be a part of. This would be the good faith part of the job.
Having said that, I think Emery would love to become recognised as one of our successful managers. I think, given the opportunity and of course being successful, he would like to stay on and be known as not only the manager who helped us through a tough transition but the manager who helped bring Arsenal back to the top.
I can't think of a better legacy to leave.

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Did you notice the part where they said that the Leicester earned more money than Real Madrid inspite of Madrid winning it and Leicester only reaching the Quarter Finals. Its obvious that the English teams are making more money because of higher viewership for them.
No, no its not :lol:

Honestly, how many people on this forum understand how football works? Or is it just general ignorance?

samshere

Why so serieuse?

bingobob

Trusted ⭐

Okay, then can you explain why Leicester made more money from the CL?
And anyway my point was that the CL total pool of money is also increasing:
2017: 1.4Bn
https://www.uefa.com/insideuefa/about-uefa/news/newsid=2578222.html
2018: 2.04Bn
https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/newsid=2562033.html
It is increasing but nowhere near the same rate as EPL, even after a decrease in the value of the last EPL deal. EPL deal is worth more and split between fewer clubs.

European prize money is paid out in a rather weird way. Leicester won their league Real Madrid did not. No other English team got as far as Leicester so they receive a higher share of the pot reserved for England. Three Spanish teams reached the quarter, two the semis and one the final thus diluting the Spanish pot. As noted below. Based on that even though 4 English teams reached their respective finals last season in doing so they actually reduced the available pot to each other.

Market pool (€292m)
The estimated available amount of €292m will be distributed in accordance with the proportional value of each TV market represented by clubs taking part in the UEFA Champions League (group stage onwards). The different market shares will be distributed to the participating clubs from each association.

The various amounts distributed from the market pool on a club-by-club basis depend on five factors:

1) the actual final amount in the market pool
2) the composition of the field of clubs participating in the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League
3) the number of clubs from any given association competing in the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League
4) the final position of each competing club in their previous season's domestic championship
5) the performance of each club in the 2018/19 UEFA Champions League

Last edited:

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
His English has come on in leaps and bounds, so much credit to him for the work he must have put in there - if he can improve his accent he will be an example to other foreign managers who have made a lot less effort
This may well be thanks to Peaky Blinders which, according to an interview with Cillian Murphy in the Guardian, he is watching to improve his English.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom