• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

I doubt that Emery will bring us to another level like some other managers did in their clubs.Klopp,Pep,Sir Alex,Simeone,Mourinho in Chelsea etc.They changed structure in whole club and made massive improvements in team's style,mentality,players.Just not that type of manager.

Mourinho surely changed United to Arsenal fans liking. :) Such a big fall in quality.

I cannot foresee he won't perform here, with one year gone. Great if some can. Those others have managed their teams many years, so not a fair comparison right now. We can estimate much better later this season.

Notorious Big

Drunka In Friend Zone
Mourinho surely changed United to Arsenal fans liking. :) Such a big fall in quality.

I cannot foresee he won't perform here, with one year gone. Great if some can. Those others have managed their teams many years, so not a fair comparison right now. We can estimate much better later this season.

I mean about Mourinho's first spell in Chelsea.They were dominant in EPL and improved a lot.He already passed his peak when he came to Utd and it's tough task to take club after Sir Alex left,expetations were way too high for every manager.

I know,we need to get CL to see some improvements and to go forward.But we also want to do better in every season under him.

Preacher

Always Crying
You’re gonna be Emery out if he plays the captain of the team? :lol:
Last I heard he isn't the captain oficially. Just a bloke with a voice from the dressing room.

Also we have long history with underperforming players who get to wear captain's armband.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
All those who don't want Emery here next year, who would you prefer out of interest?

I'm trying to get a picture of who is actually available if he was to leave, Mourinho.. Pochettino..? o_O

Brendan Rogers actually seems to do quite well wherever he goes to be fair.
Erik Ten Hag or Arteta.

Fewtch

Özil at 10 And Emery Out
Last I heard he isn't the captain oficially. Just a bloke with a voice from the dressing room.

Also we have long history with underperforming players who get to wear captain's armband.
He hasn’t been officially announced as the captain yet because Emery wanted to wait until the transfer window was over so he could announce the 5 captains. He’s been wearing the armband every time he’s been playing so he’s obviously going to be captain this season.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The subject of Xhaka in this thread is a very interesting one... Imagine being a supporter of our Swiss vegetable before Emery arrived, and then deciding Emery was useless. Must be so tempting to use Emery’s almost blind use of Xhaka as a stick to beat him with.

What’s most important, supporting Xhaka or building bigger case for Emery being useless? Is it possible to support both? I’m seeing a fair few Xhaka loyalists turning lately. It’s like the Houses of Parliament in here :lol:

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The subject of Xhaka in this thread is a very interesting one... Imagine being a supporter of our Swiss vegetable before Emery arrived, and then deciding Emery was useless. Must be so tempting to use Emery’s almost blind use of Xhaka as a stick to beat him with.

What’s most important, supporting Xhaka or building bigger case for Emery being useless? Is it possible to support both? I’m seeing a fair few Xhaka loyalists turning lately. It’s like the Houses of Parliament in here :lol:

Wonder who would count as the defector that changes the majority here.

@say yes maybe?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
:lol: I'm sure a few staggered across before him. His loyalty is genuine though--no politics involved. I'm feeling @blaze_of_glory is running low on faith at the moment. He could be the next high profile defector. Watch this space :drool:

True. Feel @blaze_of_glory is just another back five away from going full on "Right honorable gentleman" on some people here.

Gonna need @American_Gooner to pull a Bercow impression.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Feels dirty saying it but Mourinho even at this stage of his career would take this squad plus a top class central defender close IMO. Emery is just as negative and cowardly in his setup but Mourinho actually knows how to get a result to justify the negativity and cowardice.

blaze_of_glory

:lol: I'm sure a few staggered across before him. His loyalty is genuine though--no politics involved. I'm feeling @blaze_of_glory is running low on faith at the moment. He could be the next high profile defector. Watch this space :drool:

:lol:

I don't think I've hidden my feelings for Emery. He's not useless, but plays a brand of football I don't think will ever win me over unless we're literally winning leagues and CLs. Nothing against him personally, just uninspiring football that leaves me wanting more. We're dull to watch now, which is a major sin to me. Arsenal must play exciting football first and foremost imo. I'd be far more patient with Unai if he was clearly trying to do this. But he's not, so I want someone else eventually.

As for Xhaka, he is such a strange case. Constant high profile errors. I don't even rate him that highly (I've watched too many stupid mistakes - pretty sure I said I was done with him after that PK he gave away at the end of last season but he performed well again after that). I do think he has genuine qualities and we play better with him than without (thus far). Most others disagree, but the fact has been to this point that he's seemingly undroppable in the eyes of two very different managers who have had different options at CM. That leads me to believe that there has to be something he's offering that must be of high enough value that he's kept in despite the downsides.

I hate when individual players are scapegoated, that's what gets my back up. It's dumb.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Mourinho is definitely a negative coach and his style differs greatly from the culture that Wenger cultivated at Arsenal, but he is still a much better coach than Emery. Mourinho would definitely get us back into the Champions League and win a couple of trophies before he burns out and gets sacked mid-season. Also, a positive for Mourinho is that he's a big fan of Özil and knows how to use him. Emery clearly doesn't have a clue regarding Özil.

Also, Xhaka has plenty of faults, but Emery makes him look even worse because Emery does not focus on retaining possession. Xhaka's entire style is based around keeping possession and using his range of passing. Having him do mostly defensive work and not creating passing options for him will definitely make him worse.

After these first four matches, I doubt that Raul and others are pleased with Emery. We just had a great summer and Emery is not getting best out of our squad.

pacstud

Feels dirty saying it but Mourinho even at this stage of his career would take this squad plus a top class central defender close IMO. Emery is just as negative and cowardly in his setup but Mourinho actually knows how to get a result to justify the negativity and cowardice.
Feels dirty because it is. Take a second, step back, slap the **** out of yourself, then come back.

Iceman10

Established Member
Have been harsh on Emery regarding his CM selection for the NLD. In contrast I understood what he was trying at Anfield, up against a team that is just superior at the moment.

That being said, we still have to remember neither of our first choice full-backs have been available, and there does need to be time for Ceballos and Pepe to feel fully comfortable in the PL. Guendouzi is a 20 year old talent in development, and maybe only just now are we at a point where everyone (including Emery) can see Guendouzi doesn't need Xhaka alongside him anymore.

Still very early in the season; prepared to be open minded and allow until early November to see what Emery can do with a fully available squad with new players settled in.

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Have been harsh on Emery regarding his CM selection for the NLD. In contrast I understood what he was trying at Anfield, up against a team that is just superior at the moment.

That being said, we still have to remember neither of our first choice full-backs have been available, and there does need to be time for Ceballos and Pepe to feel fully comfortable in the PL. Guendouzi is a 20 year old talent in development, and maybe only just now are we at a point where everyone (including Emery) can see Guendouzi doesn't need Xhaka alongside him anymore.

Still very early in the season; prepared to be open minded and allow until early November to see what Emery can do with a fully available squad with new players settled in.
But will we ever have a fully available squad though? At some point a few of the main players will pick up knocks and Emery has to manage without them.

nicky47

Established Member
@Iceman10 Nice post mate. Nice to see someome with a bit of perspective.

I completely understand peoples frustration with Unai, but at the same time this team has just gone through a massive overhaul. And any manager would have some trouble if he was missing 3 members of his defence.

I like Unai, have done for some time. But I do doubt whether he has what it takes to take us up a notch. Time will tell, and thats why I'm willing to wait until November to see how we're truly doing then. Because with our defenders back I think we've got a pretty exciting squad that should be doing some exciting things.

I remember how Klopp was doing in his first couple seasons at Liverpool, it wasn't great. People will argue they could see a style etc but it was still a shadow of the team they have now. It takes time and patience. Lets just hope Unai is worth waiting on... Big game next for him away to Watford.

Iceman10

Established Member
But will we ever have a fully available squad though? At some point a few of the main players will pick up knocks and Emery has to manage without them.

True, but there seems to be a system we are transitioning to with Pepe in, Iwobi out, and that has left us short especially while we wait for our first choice full-backs to be available. I don't think this incomplete transition to inside forwards is on Emery as it appears our first team coach no longer has much say in transfers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom