• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlito'sway

Established Member
Good question. Very few choices left. Ljunjberg if he continues improving. Maybe Arteta.

I'd just ask Wenger about his opinion. Surely he would have seen someone good?

I have been on the Arteta bandwagon from the get go. I would happily take my chances with him if we don't finish in the top 4 this season. Having said that, Gallardo is not only building an impressive resume but has also been playing some great and entertaining football at River Plate. I really think he is ready to move to Europe at this stage. He is definitely one of the best managers in the world now.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I feel giving him a 2 year contract with an option for 3rd was really a prudent thing to do. It doesn't necessarily mean we are ready to sack him after that period, it just means we can evaluate the situation without having to worry about the financial costs of a pay off. 2 years is a good time to see wether there is enough progress to continue or part ways. In the modern game it isn't likely one man will stay at the helm at a big club for very long anyway, giving managers 6 years contract like Moyes puts clubs in a no win situation.

I actually feel we improved a lot versus the big boys. I would say we only had one defeat that you could say without an argument that we were thrashed/humiliated (the 5-1 against Pool). Which is a big progress compared to the regular 5, 6-0 hidings we used to suffer. We have been strong at home against all of them, away from home less so. Imo we are getting slowly better at that too. You have to remember for a long time our away record against the big teams has been truly diabolical.

Last season I saw encouraging signs that might improve. Sp**s away we were an Auba penalty miss away from winning there, in the league we have only won once in the last 12 years at their home ground. At Stamford Hill we should have won too, we played well and only by missing some incredible sitters we came back empty handed. Again a notorious difficult ground for us to win in recent years, last time we won there was 8 years ago.

Granted there are some worrying signs as well. Mainly with Emery's midfield combinations and our horrific away form in general. But imo I can see more positives than negatives. I can however understand if people don't see that.
And you have to admit that his strategy against Liverpool worked for half the match. We got done by a set piece. If we had Bellerin/Tierney on the pitch we might have got a result.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I think Freddie would be a good interim head coach if Emery gets sacked. The market doesn't have an abundance of available elite coaches, but it shouldn't be hard to find someone better than Emery.

Also, Sol Campbell probably doesn't yet have enough experience to be considered for the top job, but I think it would get great if he became part of our coaching staff if/when Emery is gone. Looks like he did an impressive job coaching Macclesfield Town: https://thesefootballtimes.co/2019/...ality-deserves-a-chance-at-the-highest-level/

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I have been on the Arteta bandwagon from the get go. I would happily take my chances with him if we don't finish in the top 4 this season. Having said that, Gallardo is not only building an impressive resume but has also been playing some great and entertaining football at River Plate. I really think he is ready to move to Europe at this stage. He is definitely one of the best managers in the world now.
With Edu and a few Spanish speakers here, it would make sense .

Our squad is quite reminiscent of the old Argentinian sides too with flying WFs. We even have a pretend Maradona.

Just hope we don't get a 4-letter name like Tite, Tata or the likes.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
How long are the ABE clan going to give the next manager before they start to clamour for his sacking? He’ll need time to bed in and sign a few of his own players.

So I’m thinking about ten games? Right? :lol:

Or perhaps they are waiting for the return of Wenger, who was quoted this week as saying “you will see me on the bench again soon”

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
That is a good point. Not just Klopp but even Pep as well.

Pep's first season at City. The summer he arrived, on top of already having players like Aguero, D. Silva and De Bruyne he spend £190m on transfers to further strengthen his squad. Yet at the end of the season he just about managed to get in the top 4. Only finishing 3 points ahead of us in fifth. At times that season his team looked clueless, getting thumped 4 or 5 nil against Everton. Some people were already sure he would never succeed in England, his tiki taka football wasn't suited to the PL, or without Messi he wasn't anything special anyway. The points tally was even less than 4 of the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining City. So you could even make an argument City weren't even progressing under Pep.

Klopp took over Liverpool with just 8 league games played, went on to finish 8th that season. Imagine that? Below West ham and Southampton even. I wonder what the reaction would be to Emery if he finished that low in his first season. 2nd season Klopp just about made top 4, by a single point. He still hadn't sort out a lot of their problems. A small minority of Liverpool fans were getting vocal, saying Klopp's limit was probably top 4 because he couldn't sort out the defence even if his life depended on it.

These two managers are arguably the 2 best managers in this era, yet even they needed time to turn things around. Incidentally both of them had small minority of their fans questioning them early on. I know fans don't usually do patience. It is always sack at the first hint of struggle, get excited for next one, then repeat same process.

I'm not saying Emery is anywhere close to these two, I'm saying it takes time to see if he can be a success or not. End of this season is the right time. Criticise a particular aspect of his managing, no doubt he has made a lot of mistakes, but it is still too early to make a definite judgement that he is a clueless chancer and start to call him all kind of names.

Would like this post twice if I could.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Really? Funny I don't see how he wants to play. Would you care to enlighten?
Good to see the 'cut back' gag has done it's time... He wants to play winning football. The players we have will make it pretty when they're all together. Hang in there, you'll love it. You'll be able to put a nice little label on the style he's given the team too ;)

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
That is a good point. Not just Klopp but even Pep as well.

Pep's first season at City. The summer he arrived, on top of already having players like Aguero, D. Silva and De Bruyne he spend £190m on transfers to further strengthen his squad. Yet at the end of the season he just about managed to get in the top 4. Only finishing 3 points ahead of us in fifth. At times that season his team looked clueless, getting thumped 4 or 5 nil against Everton. Some people were already sure he would never succeed in England, his tiki taka football wasn't suited to the PL, or without Messi he wasn't anything special anyway. The points tally was even less than 4 of the 5 seasons prior to Pep joining City. So you could even make an argument City weren't even progressing under Pep.

Klopp took over Liverpool with just 8 league games played, went on to finish 8th that season. Imagine that? Below West ham and Southampton even. I wonder what the reaction would be to Emery if he finished that low in his first season. 2nd season Klopp just about made top 4, by a single point. He still hadn't sort out a lot of their problems. A small minority of Liverpool fans were getting vocal, saying Klopp's limit was probably top 4 because he couldn't sort out the defence even if his life depended on it.

These two managers are arguably the 2 best managers in this era, yet even they needed time to turn things around. Incidentally both of them had small minority of their fans questioning them early on. I know fans don't usually do patience. It is always sack at the first hint of struggle, get excited for next one, then repeat same process.

I'm not saying Emery is anywhere close to these two, I'm saying it takes time to see if he can be a success or not. End of this season is the right time. Criticise a particular aspect of his managing, no doubt he has made a lot of mistakes, but it is still too early to make a definite judgement that he is a clueless chancer and start to call him all kind of names.

The point is they are both philosophy managers. It takes time to implement a philosophy as you need the players to do it. The difference is they had the balls to implement it even with players that couldn't do it. Meaning they could sell and buy accordingly.

What is Emery trying to do? He has a squad with quality and options. Yet he constantly tinkers to the point where we have no idea what the line up is let alone the formation.

He isn't on the same page as the ownership and I wouldn't be surprised if they have identified our next manager.

They promoted Freddie and publicly made the statement of bringing youth through. Last season he played his full strength team in the Europa league. The club are not allowing him to do that this season. We have bought players he can't even use yet like Saliba.

However the biggest statement is Miki. He played him ahead of Nelson and Willock vs Sp**s. He even had one more sub and didn't use it. We almost lost the derby because we have a manager who can't set up a midfield and picks error prone Xhaka because he is tall. Meanwhile Ceballos is having constant man of the match performances and got dropped because he didn't run the show vs Liverpool. A game where our manager sent us out to get pumelled and play on the break.

So what does the club do? They get rid of miki and say, right, now you can't use him. Use Nelson, Saka and Martinelli ffs.

Emery should be able to get us top four and then we are ready for a philosophy manager.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

How long are the ABE clan going to give the next manager before they start to clamour for his sacking? He’ll need time to bed in and sign a few of his own players.

So I’m thinking about ten games? Right? :lol:

Or perhaps they are waiting for the return of Wenger, who was quoted this week as saying “you will see me on the bench again soon”
Wenger said that? Get him back here! Now with Don Raul giving him a great squad and him not having to do everyone’s job we will be great again. :drool:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Next managerial interview process.

Candidate: Well you see I believe I can get the best out of these players, as you can see from my previous job I used a 4-3....

Raul/Vinai: Right, right enough about that. Do you think it is nature and nurture which forms a persons personality?

Candidate: Erm, what has this to do with my abilities as a football manager?

Raul/Vinai: You see we're not just looking for any old manager, we're looking for a PHILOSOPHICAL manager! Next question, Is it Time? Is it the condition and fulfillment of your soul? Is it death? Or is there no meaning to anyone's life at first..., instead do you have to create your own meaning?

Candidate:.........

samshere

Why so serieuse?
I don't know about all these exotic names, but I think Howe should be given a chance. He's playing attractive football at one fourth our budget. I suspect United will go for him before us though.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

I don't know about all these exotic names, but I think Howe should be given a chance. He's playing attractive football at one fourth our budget. I suspect United will go for him before us though.

My only worry about Howe is that I wonder what he'd be like out of his comfort zone. Everything is perfect for him at Bournemouth, he's a hero there and he has a job for as long as he wants it. Without him the club mightn't even exist and now look at them now (ok I know their owners have helped a lot). He went to Burnley at one stage and it just didn't work out for him.

I could probably be way wide of the mark here but he also comes across as a bit "nice", like he plays everyones friend and I know that might work at a club like Bournemouth but at a club like Arsenal it's completely different. Not only that but the expectations are a lot higher, as we've seen the pressure comes quite quickly, sometimes even winning games isn't enough. So for me I still think there's question marks over him in that regard but it's almost impossible to say how he does. I suppose we'll find out sometime as I've no doubt he'll get a bigger job sooner rather than later.

samshere

Why so serieuse?
My only worry about Howe is that I wonder what he'd be like out of his comfort zone. Everything is perfect for him at Bournemouth, he's a hero there and he has a job for as long as he wants it. Without him the club mightn't even exist and now look at them now (ok I know their owners have helped a lot). He went to Burnley at one stage and it just didn't work out for him.

I could probably be way wide of the mark here but he also comes across as a bit "nice", like he plays everyones friend and I know that might work at a club like Bournemouth but at a club like Arsenal it's completely different. Not only that but the expectations are a lot higher, as we've seen the pressure comes quite quickly, sometimes even winning games isn't enough. So for me I still think there's question marks over him in that regard but it's almost impossible to say how he does. I suppose we'll find out sometime as I've no doubt he'll get a bigger job sooner rather than later.
Is he any more proven than Pochettino was at Southampton, when Sp**s decided to take a chance on him. Ultimately whoever we take will be a risk, so why not take someone who at least players eye catching footy while trying to get results. I place a premium over PL proven managers, and I think Howe is the best manager currently outside of the top six.

Wenger said that? Get him back here! Now with Don Raul giving him a great squad and him not having to do everyone’s job we will be great again. :drool:
I must admit that thought also crossed my head. Didn't have the balls to post it though

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I must admit that thought also crossed my head. Didn't have the balls to post it though
It’s only a natural thought, I expected others to think it too. Arsène has been a one man army for too long, even the way he left he fell on his own sword to protect others. Would take him back next to the pitch in a hearbeat. He would have never played that cowards midfield at home against Sp**s.

It’s only a natural thought, I expected others to think it too. Arsène has been a one man army for too long, even the way he left he fell on his own sword to protect others. Would take him back next to the pitch in a hearbeat. He would have never played that cowards midfield at home against Sp**s.
That he wouldn't have done. He probably would have played Mesut, Ceballos and Guen

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

He doesn’t even play good football, and I’m not sure he’s overachieved to a level where you’d expect him to have us competing for CL titles or even do more than Emery.

Best one out there in terms of British managers right now is Wilder. He’s overachieved massively at every single club he’s been at, is one of the best tacticians going and is a massive innovator.

He’s not a sexy pick because he’s not young, he’s Northern and is a bit of a knobhead. If you’re looking for someone British he’s your man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom