• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

goonergaz

What went wrong is when the campaign against him,about 4th not being a trophy, really ramped up after 15/16 season, coming 2nd, Wenger doubted himself and started to change his style. It was quite noticeable at times watching the team sit back against City, hoping to catch them in the break. That wasn’t Wenger. He gave in to the social media trolls. And when the memes, protests and planes hit the games it was all over. We had two years of decline and nervousness.

Wenger should have gone earlier.

So he gave into the campaign about not being good enough to change his style, even though that style made us one of the top teams for a fair old while? Is that why he started buying lesser players as well? And why we lacked real balls on the pitch?

IMO what happened was that he managed us brilliantly into the Emirates, however he overpaid a lot of average players...and then after years of selling our best players and hardly spending we had the ability to spend - the problem was it didn't happen at the right rate or quality.

Outside of Özil and Sanchez the quality was lacking, especially in defensive areas which was always a Wenger weakness. I'm not really blaming Wenger (as such) but a lot changed during his time at Arsenal - we had the restraints of the stadium move and then things were compounded by the rich owners coming in...I truly believe if that never happened we'd be top dogs today with Wenger still at the helm.

Football changed but we couldn't adapt and was left behind...now we are left trying to compete for the top 4 that was previously touted as not good enough.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Imo he's got to go, unfortunately he is too negative in his results (Man U) which we could have easily won if he didn't want to settle for a draw, he's got his favourite players in which he'll always pick ahead of better players in the squad.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Imo he's got to go, unfortunately he is too negative in his results (Man U) which we could have easily won if he didn't want to settle for a draw, he's got his favourite players in which he'll always pick ahead of better players in the squad.
Just like Wenger, I don’t believe Emery has fave players.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Not sure what you are saying? Treatment of Emery here is relatively nice and somehow he is lucky it is not descending as far as treatment of Wenger?

Anyway, @drippin, regarding the general chat here at A-M, would just say there is an ignore function and it does wonders even if you just apply it on around a handful of the worst cases.

Yeah I know. I don't like to ignore people. I like to see what they say. In this case I'd have to ignore quite a few. But maybe I will.

This just makes reading this forum much worse and disrespects Wenger's legacy in my view. Which I find weird in an Arsenal forum.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

Just like Wenger, I don’t believe Emery has fave players.
Then why doesn't Özil even get picked on the bench, Ceballos is on the bench, he starts with 3 defensive midfielders over an attacking midfielder? If we started with Ceballos or Willock we probably could have started more aggressively aswell in the 1st half. He started with 3 cdm's which tells me he was settling for a draw over a win sorry.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Then why doesn't Özil even get picked on the bench, Ceballos is on the bench, he starts with 3 defensive midfielders over an attacking midfielder? If we started with Ceballos or Willock we probably could have started more aggressively aswell in the 1st half. He started with 3 cdm's which tells me he was settling for a draw over a win sorry.

I think he wanted more experience, so no Willock at OT. Saka was already new to this kind of pressure. Young players can crumble more easily.

Ceballos was **** in Liverpool. Özil not good defensively.

3 attacking players up front. Guendouzi is not exactly a DMF. And Torreira was a striker in younger years.

Last edited:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
What has Wenger got to do with anything? He was regularly being insulted on here too, some pretty disgusting stuff alluding to his nationality, personal life, mental state, age, motives. I can list the insults if you want.

Emery is getting away pretty lightly with “bum”.
I thought it had reached a high after the 15/16 season, but wasn’t prepared for what happened in the two years that followed. Anybody who defended him got the same treatment.

Not sure about you bro, but I’m still traumatised. :eek:

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

So he gave into the campaign about not being good enough to change his style, even though that style made us one of the top teams for a fair old while? Is that why he started buying lesser players as well? And why we lacked real balls on the pitch?

IMO what happened was that he managed us brilliantly into the Emirates, however he overpaid a lot of average players...and then after years of selling our best players and hardly spending we had the ability to spend - the problem was it didn't happen at the right rate or quality.

Outside of Özil and Sanchez the quality was lacking, especially in defensive areas which was always a Wenger weakness. I'm not really blaming Wenger (as such) but a lot changed during his time at Arsenal - we had the restraints of the stadium move and then things were compounded by the rich owners coming in...I truly believe if that never happened we'd be top dogs today with Wenger still at the helm.

Football changed but we couldn't adapt and was left behind...now we are left trying to compete for the top 4 that was previously touted as not good enough.
You can’t expect the players to play through a campaign like that. They had no balls because they were as nervous as hell. There were even sack Wenger placards at the Robert Mugabe protests in Zimbabwe that went viral. Imagine that.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
Again, can’t believe what I’m reading here. People letting emotions get the best of them. We’re in 4th, with 7 games played, 3 of which were against top 6 sides. And people want the manager to go? Defies logic.

Last edited:

goonergaz

So where are the balls now? TBH I have no sympathy for the players - they should be performing for the manager that had been fighting their corner giving them good wages...but face it, they were not that great.

IMO Wengers teams have lacked a decent spine for years, he never really replaced Vieira and the physicality of the team - the balls - went downhill from there. Sure we still had the 'Wengerball' but eventually that went.

nicky47

Established Member
People really dislike Unai don't they... Even though I like the guy, I'm not happy with how we're performing at all.

Do you think Bellerin and Tierny will make much of a difference to how we'll play?

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Emery plays trash football and didn't get the results he should have (top 4 and Europa Cup)

His plus points are he's playing youth but really he's just playing the best performing players.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Hold it, not so fast. :lol:

Let’s list our current players in our published squad that were either bought by Wenger or spent at least a year developing under his tutelage.

Aubamayang, Özil, Kola, Bellerin, Saka, Willock, AMN, Holding, Lacazette, Nelson, Xhaka, Mustafi, Chambers, ESR, Mavropanos, Macey, That’s 16

The Emery regime have Sokratis, Torreira, Douzi, Luiz, Martinelli, Leno, Tierney, Pepe. That’s 8

I’m not counting Ceballos because he’s not an acquisition, he’s only here a few months.

So that’s only 8 players that Emery has bought to rebuild a squad, out of 25. And I would argue that Sokratis and Luiz are taking us backwards too.

So which ‘Emery’ players are having a real impact in taking us forward in the EPL, in a ‘progressive’ squad rebuild for the future . . Douzi for sure, Torreira not sure, Pepe when he comes good, Tierney, Leno.

I go back to my original post that the squad is in the process of a rebuild but not already rebuilt by Emery, much of the 25 man squad is still Wenger acquired, and Emery is just using players that Wenger would probably be using had he stayed. Sorry bro.

If you want to argue he’s using the squad differently, to how Wenger would have done. Fair enough. But it’s not a rebuilt squad at this stage after just over 12 months.
Wenger is the 5th column, the deep Wenger, its inevitable players from his years will remain. There are players who've been in the academy since 10 and never known another Arsenal manager so again inevitably when they reach maturity for the first team theyll factor into whoever is manager at that time. Like Amn, Ers, Nelson, Willock. Simple fact is these players rarely featured under Wenger but are now in it near the first team.

Anyway, we will disagree. In my eyes the team is different. In your eyes it's nearly different but not quite. Below to me is a team rebuilt.

Leno
Sokratis Luiz Tierney
Guendouzi Torreira
Ceballos
Pepe Martinelli

2 players short of a new XI.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
People really dislike Unai don't they... Even though I like the guy, I'm not happy with how we're performing at all.

Do you think Bellerin and Tierny will make much of a difference to how we'll play?

Bellerin and Tierney will not make a difference tactically, but they are quality players, so we'll play better with them in the side.

Emery doesn't set his teams up to dominate the midfield or possession. He wants us to score from forcing turnovers, and attacking from the flanks.

Bellerin and Tierney will help us attack down the flanks, but we'll still be dreadful to watch.

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

I was just rewatching some games we played in Wenger's final season. people were complaining about the football we were playing. That team had a lower quality than this one. At least, we could create a decent amount of chances.

I'm saying this as someone who wanted wenger out. If Wenger had Auba and Laca in 2015/2016, we'd probably have won that league title IMO.

I will continue to support Emery, but I believe he's not the right manager to take us forward.

regardless of where we finish, we should be looking for a new coach by end of the season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom