• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Not true. Is anyone actually a ‘fan’ of Emery or do they just believe he’ll get us top 4? There’s a difference.

Yep. And I think the correct definition to those opposites would be "Emery haters" vs "Emery fans".

Personally I can be critical of Emery, but many here would categorize me as a "Emery fan", because I don't think his football is "absolutely crap" or similar.

If done this way, even Wenger is "Emery fan" looking at his quote.

And I'm only a fan of Arsenal.

Last edited:

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Emery critics: Lay put rational explanation of why they don’t like him.

Emery fans: jUSt BeCaUse hE’s noT WeNger.

Straw man.
Not an Emery fan, I just don’t think the sky is falling. I support the club and believe, as manager, his success would be the club’s success.

Also, it’s not like the Emery critics are all putting rational arguments out there. “HeZ GreEZy”

blaze_of_glory

Absolute rubbish, do they even watch our games?? Or just google results and feel happy we won 1-0. We are scrapping for every 3 points just like last season, it will turn into different results the moment luck runs out.
Exactly. Look at how excited pretty much everyone was leading into last season. Even people who were and still are huge Wenger fans (myself included) were all behind Emery and so hopeful that this massive change in the club would really allow us to move forward and finally get over all the baggage that had built up, etc.

But a year's worth of observing how we play and how he seems to want us to play is enough for people to come to their own determinations whether they want him as coach of Arsenal.

JoaoFelix

Interesting. There's more Emery fans now than they WERE two weeks ago. So because we are "top 4" this is a big achievement. What games do y'all watch? Tottenham has never been weaker now than these past two years. Chelsea is playing all their academy players and its working fine for them. This is the weakest Man Utd i've ever seen. Finishing in the top 4 this season is not a big achievement. It should be normal for Arsenal Football Club. And this season a bit more because of how weak they are. Some of y'all are too patient with Emery. He been there for more than a year. There's still no identity, no philosphy, nothing.
Even if you put Eddie Howe as the coach we will finish in the top 4.

JoaoFelix

Yep. And I think the correct definition to those opposites would be "Emery haters" vs "Emery fans".

Personally I can be critical of Emery, but many here would categorize me as a "Emery fan", because I don't think his football is "absolutely crap" or similar.

If done this way, even Wenger is "Emery fan" looking at his quote.

And I'm only a fan of Arsenal.
What's his football?

Steps

Finishing in the top 4 this season is not a big achievement. It should be normal for Arsenal Football Club. And this season a bit more because of how weak they are. Some of y'all are too patient with Emery. He been there for more than a year. There's still no identity, no philosphy, nothing.

lNUh0uV.gif

Iceman10

Established Member
Not true. Is anyone actually a ‘fan’ of Emery or do they just believe he’ll get us top 4? There’s a difference.

Regarding those saying top 4 is not a big achievement and any manager could get that done (clearly not true, imo, but put that aside) this overlooks the concern of some that we already have a season underway and to get what they want they almost wish Emery would be dropping significant points to get fired, from which the new manager would have to play catch-up, which only ends up jeopardising top 4.

Regardless of whether top 4 is a big achievement or not, let's just secure it first after missing out the last three seasons. This is the issue, and it is one that is purely about best interests of Arsenal.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Regardless of whether top 4 is a big achievement or not, let's just secure it first after missing out the last three seasons. This is the issue, and it is one that is purely about best interests of Arsenal.
he gets Top 4, he stays. And that's a concern.

I've already stopped watching the games on TV because I don't want to watch 90 minutes of boring football and win by a goal or something.

I don't care if we get Top 4 or not this season tbh. If we play good football (offensive or defensive) and beat TottenSham, I'll be happy.

Iceman10

Established Member
he gets Top 4, he stays. And that's a concern.

This is the underlying issue I am seeing tie many into intellectual knots, and is perfectly legitimate. I agree about the conundrum here, the best one maybe could hope for is his contract is 2+1, so his contract won't be renewed, expectations will be upped from just CL qualification once we hopefully are back in for 2020/21.

I don't care if we get Top 4 or not this season tbh. If we play good football (offensive or defensive) and beat TottenSham, I'll be happy.

This is where it gets taken further to a point I have suspected resides with some, and you have more or less confirmed it, which I appreciate for honesty. I am concerned when fans get to the point of minimizing CL qualification because that only makes it more difficult to compete in the transfer market.

I do understand how some feel about the late collapse last season but this season is now underway. If fans wanted Emery out the time to push was end of last season but many with issues now weren't so vocal then (they were fine with giving him the second season).

I get the point about football pleasing on the eye, but there is evidence some of what people see as frustrating over last couple of weeks in easier matches is actually the manager adjusting after the Watford aberration. For example short passes at the back for the sake of it have been reduced, with variety, and we are tightening up on opposition teams slicing through our lines so easily, which is in part why Özil has been swapped out. Do we want a manager who learns and adjusts with the squad he has available to him? *To some extent* I would (cf. stubbornness of Wenger late on), and just hope things get taken to another level with Tierney, Bellerin, Holding, and Lacazette available.

... but anyways, the main issue here is some apparently fine with missing out on the CL if that is the cost of disruption mid-season of seeing/hoping a manager fails, and be replaced.

Last edited:

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
This is the underlying issue I am seeing tie many into intellectual knots, and is perfectly legitimate. I agree about the conundrum here, the best one maybe could hope for is his contract is 2+1, so his contract won't be renewed, expectations will be upped from just CL qualification once we hopefully are back in for 2020/21.
The board are satisfied with being near the top. They might feel that there won't be much improvement with another manager.We are not capable of competing with the top 2.

I get the point about football pleasing on the eye, but there is evidence some of what people see as frustrating over last couple of weeks in easier matches is actually the manager adjusting after the Watford aberration. For example short passes at the back for the sake of it have been reduced, with variety, and we are tightening up on opposition teams slicing through our lines so easily, which is in part why Özil has been swapped out. Do we want a manager who learns and adjusts with the squad he has available to him? *To some extent* I would (cf. stubbornness of Wenger late on), and just hope things get taken to another level with Tierney, Bellerin, Holding, and Lacazette available.
good observation.

Emery can tinker until hell freezes over, but the real problem for me lies in motivating these guys. They all seem like they are wading through swampland.

This is the remnant of Wenger's system/style. Some of the players do look like trying to play Emery's way...especially Xhaka...but the majority of the players are still uncomfortable with whatever he's making them do.

You take the name of Özil, but I feel Pepe, Torreira, Sokratis, Kola, and some of the older guys still haven't translated any of his ideas. We do it in spurts but then revert to the older system.

Maybe he needs more of his own players, but this will not ensure that he succeeds. Just like Özil, it might be that AFC is just not suited to Emery.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom