• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Not giving some kids a chance has to be one of his bigger failings this season. With no wide options don’t tell me the kids couldn’t see more minutes.

He’ll sign some players in the summer which means guys like Saka and Eddie will be pushed further down the pecking order.

Totally underwhelming from Emery.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Depending on whether Emery is struggling or doing well, we get to see the different agendas at play on this forum.

I have said in the past that I am not completely happy with Emery's output on the field, but there is one very important factor at play here. That is Emery's ability to be pragmatic and make us a side able to put together a solid performance.

Consider the following results;

Arsenal 1-1 Liverpool
Arsenal 2-0 Chelsea
Arsenal 2-0 Man United
Arsenal 4-2 Sp**s
Arsenal 2-0 Napoli

Man United 2-2 Arsenal
Sp**s 1-1 Arsenal
Watford 0-1 Arsenal
Napoli 0-1 Arsenal

I believe that these are results which would have been very difficult under Wenger, because our great manager only focused on one way of playing, a majority of the time. This made us predictable and susceptible to being planned for and nullified in great detail.

I would argue that Emery has already proven himself enough to be given a chance to continue rebuilding our squad. We need to bring in good quality players and build on the defensive leaning pragmatic focus, moving to a more balanced defensive-offensive tactical structure which we can launch a title bid on.

I want to remind the members here that Leo Jardim had a very similar start to his time at Monaco, with fans complaining at Monaco's extremely defensive minded approach to their game. We all know what happened once he started getting in and promoting players of quality.

Applying the Jardim story, we see that Emery has shown what he can do with a team that has quality. When looking past his so called "highlights" in last 16 exits, Monaco loss first season and dressing room drama, you see a team that performed extremely well, in comparison to the described genius that is Tuchel.

For us it starts with us getting into the top four and being backed in the transfer market. Get in some proper reinforcement down our spine and proper wide men and we will be one of the best teams yet again.

Emery is not the world's best coach, but one of the better ones who quietly has gone about his business is how I would describe him.
Guardiolia is a style manager he has one way of playing, gets the best players available that he can buy to carry out his plans and then sweeps other teams aside.

Emery is a reactive manager. That’s what happens when you cut your teeth on clubs that aren’t at the top of the money tree.

Pep, would be suspect at Arsenal, without the ability to buy the best players. We’d still win a lot games though with his attacking flair, but also lose heavily at times not having reliable defenders to break up the counter. But we may end up in the top 4, and even the odd cup now again. Wait, that rings a bell.:lol:

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Yeah, and I can’t believe Wenger didn’t sign Pogba when he was a baby. The first video is of him kicking a ball at 18 months showed he’d be special. He would have cost us next to nothing to sign him up then. Wenger missed so many opportunities.
I’m not even having a go at Wenger for not signing him. Stop being so defensive!

Apologies for not remembering that VVD was an 18 month old baby when he was playing for Celtic though... I agree it would have been some scouting performance to have noticed him back then...

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
I think we are only in the beginning of a transition that will be put back to square one if we fail to get CL.
Nah, next season you'll have Leno-Bellerin-Sokratis-Xhaka-Torreira-Aubameyang-Lacazette established in the team. Add a CB, LB, AM and winger and this team should be ready to push on. People will stop mentioning Wenger too because it will really be Emery's squad by then and he'll be judged on what he does with all these signings.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
United have too much money to let things slip after a poor season.

Chelsea are indeed ****ed long term without Abramovic though.

It about time Sp**s lost their players, long overdue. They’ve had four seasons of over performing spending 6th. Time to regress. Except they might do a Liverpool and sell these players at well over inflated prices and buy shrewdly.

It’s all possible. That’s why football’s not boring, it’s a combination of Championship Manager, FIFA and Capitalism.

Hate how we never kept our players, sold them the second people were interested. Both Nasri and Adebayor said they didn't even want to leave Arsenal but were encouraged to by Arsenal cos they wanted the money, now Nasri and Adebayor are far from the type of guys I'd put my trust in but that does sound in character for our board.

Compare to Levy who's a nightmare to deal with, richer clubs must have loved dealing with Arsenal

Last edited:

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Hate how we never kept our players, sold them the second people were interested. Both Nasri and Adebayor said they didn't even want to leave Arsenal but were encouraged to by Arsenal cos they wanted the money, now Nasri and Adebayor are far from the type of guys I'd put my trust in but that does sound in character for our board.

Compare to Levy who's a nightmare to deal with, richer clubs must have loved dealing with Arsenal

We were Man City's *****. Bent over and sold our better players to them. How many other big clubs sell as many players in such as short time to the same club?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Nah, next season you'll have Leno-Bellerin-Sokratis-Xhaka-Torreira-Aubameyang-Lacazette established in the team. Add a CB, LB, AM and winger and this team should be ready to push on.
Next year will only be my fifth season on AM. But I’ve seen that post over and over. Just add a classy ?, a ?, a ? and a ? (insert positions of choice) and we’re ready to progress. I wonder why that is?

A_G

Rice Rice Baby 🎼🎵
A-M CL Draft Campeón 🏆
Next year will only be my fifth season on AM. But I’ve seen that post over and over. Just add a classy ?, a ?, a ? and a ? (insert positions of choice) and we’re ready to progress. I wonder why that is?
Do you disagree? CB and LB are needed because Kos/Monreal are aging, AM because Ramsey is leaving and a winger to add something new to the attack and a goal threat. Part of the improvement next season would be signing players to reduce the likes of Kolasinac, Guendouzi and Iwobi to squad players.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

It's not been all bad but it feels like it's been too few and far between

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
We were Man City's *****. Bent over and sold our better players to them. How many other big clubs sell as many players in such as short time to the same club?

Them and Barca would buy anyone if they played for Arsenal. Barca brought guys like Vermaelen and Song whilst City got Clichy and Sagna after they were washed up and finished. I think people just rated Arsène trained players highly.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Do you disagree? CB and LB are needed because Kos/Monreal are aging, AM because Ramsey is leaving and a winger to add something new to the attack and a goal threat. Part of the improvement next season would be signing players to reduce the likes of Kolasinac, Guendouzi and Iwobi to squad players.
I do very much agree. But it doesn’t answer my question.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Them and Barca would buy anyone if they played for Arsenal. Barca brought guys like Vermaelen and Song whilst City got Clichy and Sagna after they were washed up and finished. I think people just rated Arsène trained players highly.
Not all, but quite a few of our players went down hill after they left too. Wenger made them look better than they were.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Missing out on CL now would certainly be a disappointment but tbh at the start I was basically making this season a write off as sort of transitional phase for the new regime to get us going and by next season we'd be challenging for top 4. So for me if we get CL we're one year ahead of schedule. Also United and Chelsea should both be doing better anyways so we're kinda lucky in a sense that we're in a decent position still. Chelsea should be doing better with the likes of Hazard, Kante, Willian, Higuain, etc and United finished 2nd last season but have completely gone off the rails.

This season was never about being CL or bust, but now that we're in a position where CL is attainable it seems like a lot of people are starting to think it is CL or bust. Maybe from a financial perspective it impacts our ability in the summer (tho our supposed budget isn't much better with CL football, certainly not enough to completely transform us). Even without CL next season, and I hope it won't come to it, we can still push on from what we've done this season. We've shown a lot and there's been periods where we've seen incredible improvements. Before the Palace game we'd conceded just once in 7 games, it's been a while since we've had a run like that from a defensive perspective. What we've seen in the last couple of games, and in a few games like the Southampton one a while back, is that a lot of the same problems from the previous regime still exist in terms of individual errors, mentality issues at times and stuff like that. Though again we don't really have great depth so the rotation vs Palace, which was probably necessary given the amount of games we have to play in a short period of time, harmed us a lot. Maybe also the long term injuries to Welbeck, Holding and Bellerin haven't helped either because those 3 are capable lads in terms of being able to rotate. AMN/Bellerin rotating and Holding/Sokratis/Kos being our main CB's is a lot better than Jenko, Mustafi and an incredibly rash and young Mavropanos being relied upon when we have to rotate a bit.

We obviously need another attacking player from wide who can make things easier for us in terms of creating chances for our two strikers. Need someone with an engine in midfield to replace what Ramsey gives us and of course a couple of defenders. With those additions in improves the squad even further. People talk about us signing 4 players last summer as if that'd automatically make us a lot stronger but look at it, Guendouzi's a teenager, Torreira still quite young coming into a new league, Leno like many keepers take time in the PL to find their feet and Sokratis coming into a team which had massive defensive problems, he alone wasn't going to instantly fix that. Even with those signings we were still short in a lot of areas like obviously wide and we still probably needed a defender or two more anyways.

The only thing we can do is keeping adding every transfer window we can like Liverpool did and we'll progress.

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

not strictly true - what about the players we didn't sell when we could, only to let them run down their contracts and leave for zilch

Nah, next season you'll have Leno-Bellerin-Sokratis-Xhaka-Torreira-Aubameyang-Lacazette established in the team. Add a CB, LB, AM and winger and this team should be ready to push on. People will stop mentioning Wenger too because it will really be Emery's squad by then and he'll be judged on what he does with all these signings.

The players we got last summer are barely good enough for top4 and bar Torreira and Douzy I doubt they will improve. I doubt the spine you mention is good enough for top4 next season.

I thought this was all about getting top4 this season and then dream bigger? We are still in early stage of transition if you ask me and there is a huge task ahead for the team. If I was asked to put finger on it I would say we are barely 10% where we want to be.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Is it Kroenke? Because he is a problem but they managed to sign 4 players who have improved the squad, doing so again isn’t impossible IMO.
No, I’m just asking why it is that we see these same posts every season.

We always seem to be in need of 3/4 top players to make real progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom