Unai Emery: El Confuso

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Mo Britain, Oct 17, 2018.

?

Should the club make a change at manager?

1. Yes

94.5%
  2. No

5.5%
  1. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, but rarely

2. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, but rarely

Yes.

hydrofluoric acid likes this.
  3. YeahBee

YeahBee Terrible hot takes

Why would the club put out that rumour?

Makes us look weak

4. rich 1990

rich 1990 Loves the A-M Mods

On the field, this is the worst. Even worse than the start to 2011/2012 and that was a ridiculous mess but at least it was entertaining:lol: Off the field, we're getting there but this is a big test to see how we're coming along on that front too.

5. Rex Banner

Rex Banner YNWA Trusted

Weren’t you fully Jose in less than a week ago?

6. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, but rarely

The next manager is the big one, get it wrong and we’re a 5-8 club for the next 5/6 years.

NieThePiet and Sanchez11's ghost like this.
  7. rich 1990

If we keep it as it is, then we'll be that anyway.

8. rich 1990

Tir Nar Nog copies whatever GDeep's latest fad is.

Sanchez11's ghost likes this.
  9. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

The squad is actually in better shape than it was than and the performances are worse. At least then you knew any non top 6 team was get slapped at the Emirates, now it's a nervy 2-1 type win at best.

ItWasMeBarry, Trilly, say yes and 9 others like this.
  10. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

Absolutely. Tbf I think the Alexis situation and maybe even Özil's contract didn't help at all during that season and things compounded a bit. On the field there was still signs of us playing some good football. This season every performance has been dreadful bar a couple of EL/CC games where the kids played. Off the pitch, well if we can't afford to sack Emery then that tells you all you need to know. We let Ramsey go on a free, had to resort to bringing in Luiz as our only CB signing even tho we've been crying out for top quality back there. Had to sell Iwobi without a replacement just to get some of our money back.

A lot of the problems have come from our own making, or well Emery's. Falling out with Özil, deciding Ramsey wasn't part of his plans, only to bring him back the second half of the season and play him every game until his injury, same with Özil. Sell Monreal, forcing us to play Kolasinac until Tierney is ready and even then Kolasinac still ends up on the pitch. The situation with Koscielny were we tried to play hard ball with him but he ends up going anyways which basically wastes a lot of time. Squad is top heavy, a lot of holes which haven't been filled. The miss use of Torreira, the whole captain situation is a joke, Emery and the club haven't handled the Xhaka stuff well and have thrown him under the bus. Relying on Guendouzi now to carry the midfield. Auba and Laca stalling on new contracts, Auba leaves with CL football.

I think at the end of Wenger's time a lot of the issues seemed easy-ish to fix, we just needed some additions and a bit of fine tuning. Now you're almost asking for a revolution because of what's gone on. If things get even worse, and there's no reason to believe they won't, we could find ourselves in a right mess.

11. Tir Na Nog

Emery causes crazy things in me, in general I'm not pro-Mourinho, but he's testing me!

krengon, North5 and Rex Banner like this.
  12. Tir Na Nog

Not sure if the squad's in better shape tbh. The new manager inherits Tierney and Bellerin, Guendouzi, Willock and then another few youngsters and Pepe. After that what is there, Auba will leave if we can't get top 4 and tbh I think he's leaning that way regardless, Laca is a bum and he's not gonna suddenly turn prolific. CB's are utter poverty and we seem like we're just gonna continue to refuse to invest in that area. Midfield we've created a real mess. Ramsey gone, Torreira looks likely to go, Xhaka also will leave now, basically 3 of our main midfielders from last season won't be here soon because of mis-management and other factors. Özil's 31 so he's not long term. Leno's alright I guess.

I think we could've created something great but we're in real danger of ruining all our good work.

13. Makingtrax

Makingtrax Policing Emery's English Skills

What, Arsenal aren't going to win the league anytime soon, unless we spend more. That's not an agenda that's a fact.

Trilly and Tir Na Nog like this.
  14. rich 1990

Oh, shut up

15. Tir Na Nog

There's nothing to look forward to in regard to Arsenal Football Club at the moment, people talk about the promising youngsters but will we ever have a manager who'll be able to use them in the correct way, integrate them right? Or will keep with Emery or appoint a Enrique/Benitez type who'll prioritise immediate results? If we're crying poverty over a 6 million compensation for Emery then what does that say about our budget for January? It should be an opportunity to kick on but I don't think we'll do much while Chelsea might be free to strengthen then if their appeal is successful. United might make a couple of additions and things might click, Sp**s too. Things could get really ugly.

GDeep™ likes this.
  16. OneAW!

OneAW! Active Member

Ive been saying from the start Emery isn't good enough for us. Time to bring Wenger back.

ONE Arsène Wenger!

That is if Bayern don't beat us to the punch.

17. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

I'm OK with matching Leicester this season. Let's see if we can do that.

Makingtrax likes this.
  18. Rimaal

Rimaal Questionable Taste

:lol: They already said no to Wenger.

North5 and Mark Tobias like this.
  19. NZgunner

NZgunner Active Member

Almost a rhetorical question, but there are different ways of looking at it.

Whatever the difficulties and shortcomings right now, it was right to have ended Wenger's tenure. I'd rather be failing with Emery than failing with Wenger because making the decision to break with Wenger was huge for the club and now we don't have to go through that again - breaking with Emery won't be anywhere near as traumatic.

I think that a different manager could probably work with the current squad (minus 2 or 3) and craft it into something a lot better than it is now because we won't have a long legacy to have to work around.

RacingPhoton and Mark Tobias like this.
  20. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mr. Agreeable

And i want to hear about it