• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

* we've scored only 22 goals in the Europa league, lower than sevilla

* We are taking fewer shots per game compared to the previous season.

* we play 5 defenders plus two DM every game

* inspite of all this we're going to almost guaranteed concede more goals than last season.

So far I am satisfied with the results but not the quality of football.

So far in the league, this time last year we've conceded less and scored more though? So it looks like the 5 defenders and two DM's every game is working out.

We have also had the most inconsistent defensive line this season in the league and since we have had a bit of consistency we have only conceded 1 goal in 7 games.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
I think Leno has improved as the season developed, probably more to do with understanding the players he is working with.

There have only been a few games in which we've sparkled but tbf that was the case last season too, it wasn't a vintage season.

So if you compare this season to a few years back our football has been less attractive but the manager is still working mostly with players he has inherited and with the worst owner in the premiership. Those have to be factors. At this stage results first, football second.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Compared to last season anything is better, but compared to the “Wenger 4th” years, this season pales in comparison.

Football is absolutely dire, no point beating around the bush, we’re watching dross.

Football has been dire since 2011.
Let's not pretend Arsenal was fun to watch when we had a Podolski Giroud Gervinho front 3, Jenkinson & Gibbs playing in the back 4 and so on.

It's not like we were playing like peak Barcelona or City under Wenger between 2011 & 2018.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

We haven't played good football for a few seasons now. We can't expect a miraculous turnaround in his first season in charge. We've seen glimpses though - lovely team goals against Fulham, Leicester etc. We've shown up in big games. We've kept a great home wins record going. We need to improve away from home, but that's been the case for a while now. Our defence has been awful at times but has looked so much more solid in the last few games. We do lack creativity and width though and I hope it's something that can be improved in the transfer window.

Arsène Wenger was always going to be a hard act to follow but we have a manager in his first season in England that's got us challenging for top 4 and we are 2 games away from reaching a European final. I'm delighted with him.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
Compared to last season anything is better, but compared to the “Wenger 4th” years, this season pales in comparison.

Football is absolutely dire, no point beating around the bush, we’re watching dross.
Not always. We were excellent against Fulham away, second half of Leicester at home, the home game against Rennes, home game against Sp uds and probably a few more I've forgotten.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
The RVP year was a one man show.
Not fun to watch at all for most of the season even though RVP was absolutely fantastic, and Song helping him with the assists.
That was bizarre. Every dog has his day and every horse has his year and that season Song (for the only time in his career) looked world class.

GDeep™

League is very weak
The RVP year was a one man show.
Not fun to watch at all for most of the season even though RVP was absolutely fantastic, and Song helping him with the assists.
Even last year and the season before we had patches of brilliant football.

Also, win or lose, we’ve always been easy on the eye under Wenger.

This Emery team is hard to watch.

GDeep™

League is very weak
One thing though, we’re more competitive in big games. You can see Emery leaves no stone unturned in terms of big game preparation.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Even last year and the season before we had patches of brilliant football.

Also, win or lose, we’ve always been easy on the eye under Wenger.

This Emery team is hard to watch.

You could say the same about this season. We had patches of brillant football too.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I’m nit picking maybe, because we have a manager who is getting us top 4 potentially and is in the semi finals of the EL.

lamby22

It's Not Lupus

Football has been dire since 2011.
Let's not pretend Arsenal was fun to watch when we had a Podolski Giroud Gervinho front 3, Jenkinson & Gibbs playing in the back 4 and so on.

It's not like we were playing like peak Barcelona or City under Wenger between 2011 & 2018.

There's been glimpses of good stuff in those years but we were a joy to watch before Nasri and Cesc left. Okay we won **** all but we played proper football.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

At the end of the day, in my opinion, where our club is at we need the results over the 'beautiful' football. We can't afford the EL again and if that's what Emery is doing then fair enough.

Having said that, I've been very happy with some of our football this season.

Ceballinhos

Cheating on Santi
Most of our players got better under the new manager too.

Xhaka is having his best season ever in an Arsenal shirt. Holding and bellerin got much better than last season before the injury, Welbeck was having his best season in years too, Lacazette is better.
Ramsey hasnt been that good playing as a complete CM since his 2013/2014 season .
Cech is having his best season but Leno has been better.

freeglennhelder2

Established Member

Player:Elneny
Just want to check everyone is on the same page. We’d all rather win ugly than lose playing aesthetically pleasing football.

Right?

(Not advocating an entire season of ugly football. Unless we won the title of course :) )

Last edited:

GDeep™

League is very weak
Just want to check everyone is on the same page. We’d all rather win ugly than lose playing ascetically pleasing football.

Right?

(Not advocating an entire season of ugly football. Unless we won the title of course :) )
If this is winning, then Wenger was playing good football and winning, we can do both.

dka1

100% Dark Chocolate
Trusted ⭐

Wenger was playing pretty poor football for atleast 4 years prior to his departure. Wasn't that a big complaint? that he wasn't even playing good football anymore....it was just boring and ponderous and I remember so many games in which we'd have that "stale possession" not able to breach the opposition's defence but constantly passing around the perimeter of the 18 yard box.

Granted I think the worst from Emery is way worse than anything I've seen under Wenger. But on the whole I don't think Emery's football is that much worse than Wenger's was towards his latter years, and certainly I'm not going to sit here and b*tch about it when we're atleast getting some results.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom