• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Emery has been fantastic, my only concern is with his intense style of play out players won't gas out. We've seen Wenger's team always put together a run towards the backend of the season.

Hope he makes good use of the sqaud.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
At the start of the season, I said that 1, 2 is between City and Pool, the rest is up for grabs. I still think this is the case. Emery has done well but there is no point in going overboard. We still have issues to sort out defensively.
Of course but going the other way and saying he hasn't been good at all is a blatant lie.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Arsenal is on a par with the previous few seasons in the competitions they play in. The big difference at the moment is the fan and media sentiment, which was anti-Wenger in the past few seasons. Emery, who is in a similar position to Wenger comparing competitions, receives much better treatment then Wenger did. These are the positions at this stage in the past few seasons.

Current season:
Premier league - 16 games, position 5th, points 34
Europa - qualified top of group
League cup - In quarter final

17/18
Premier league - 16 games, position 5th, points 29
League cup - In quarter final, got to final

16/17
Premier league - 16 games, position 3rd, points 34
Champions league - qualified top of the group
League cup - in quarter final - knocked out

15/16
Premier league - 16 games, position 2nd, points 33
Champions league - qualified second in the group
League cup - fourth round - knocked out
These stats are lovely and all but they fail to mention the fact that the current manager has never faced this league while the previous one had 20 years experience in it..

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Emery has been fantastic, my only concern is with his intense style of play out players won't gas out. We've seen Wenger's team always put together a run towards the backend of the season.

Hope he makes good use of the sqaud.
I think he's been pretty smart with his use of the squad. We've seen plenty of rotation for the last couple of EL games and the cup games too. Lots of subs at half time which means a lot of the players have effectively played half a game. Suspensions have forced the issue as well. Xhaka had a week long break, Sokratis and Mustafi will follow suit. The only player who I think has been overworked a little is Kolasinac.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I think he's been pretty smart with his use of the squad. We've seen plenty of rotation for the last couple of EL games and the cup games too. Lots of subs at half time which means a lot of the players have effectively played half a game. Suspensions have forced the issue as well. Xhaka had a week long break, Sokratis and Mustafi will follow suit. The only player who I think has been overworked a little is Kolasinac.
Kola wasn't playing when Monreal was fit so not really. AMN could slot in there if needed though. Kola did look wrecked in the last outing, I'll agree.

Tom349

These stats are lovely and all but they fail to mention the fact that the current manager has never faced this league while the previous one had 20 years experience in it..

Which your fact means very little given the only real difference Emery will be facing is his team won't be having a break over the Christmas period and rather it will be our busy period, but that period is ahead of us and the good grace Emery currently has will be tested should he fail to get results over the next month.

Also the idea that coaching becomes easier the longer you've been in place is laughable. If anything it becomes harder as the longer players spend with you the less they have to learn.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Which your fact means very little given the only real difference Emery will be facing is his team won't be having a break over the Christmas period and rather it will be our busy period, but that period is ahead of us and the good grace Emery currently has will be tested should he fail to get results over the next month.

Also the idea that coaching becomes easier the longer you've been in place is laughable. If anything it becomes harder as the longer players spend with you the less they have to learn.
What don't you understand about the fact that the league is different?

"the only real difference Emery will be facing is his team won't be having a break over the Christmas period and rather it will be our busy period"

You need a new sport to follow if you truly believe this.

Tom349

What don't you understand about the fact that the league is different?

"the only real difference Emery will be facing is his team won't be having a break over the Christmas period and rather it will be our busy period"

You need a new sport to follow if you truly believe this.

So what you're saying is Emery deserves more grace as the level of competition in the premier league is greater than what he faced in Spain and France. What kind of dumb logic is this. His level of competition is what he is judged against and if he isn't good enough against that competition then he isn't good enough to be the manager of this club.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
So what you're saying is Emery deserves more grace as the level of competition in the premier league is greater than what he faced in Spain and France. .
JC talk about twisting people's words! No I never said that. What I am insinuating is that HE IS good enough to be the manager of this club and we can tell that by the very fact that he has adapted to a new league with great ease and has brought forth results in spite of not having nearly as much money to spend than his previous club and it now in a more competitive league where not only one team wins every year.

But I gather I am wasting my time here complete.
Feck me, what a wierd thread. AFC fan base is truly riddled with over expectant babies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
So what you're saying is Emery deserves more grace as the level of competition in the premier league is greater than what he faced in Spain and France. What kind of dumb logic is this. His level of competition is what he is judged against and if he isn't good enough against that competition then he isn't good enough to be the manager of this club.
Basically what you have said here is that it is exactly the same to be in charge of PSG (one of the richest teams in the world and the only real team in France) and to take charge of Arsenal who haven't won the league in over 10 years and spend a fraction during windows.
Okay got you.:rolleyes::confused:
I suspect with most things this is a theme for you but you've missed the boat completely here. No, that isn't what I meant. My statement relates tot he fact that not only does twenty years give you more know how of other teams but dealings with media, fans and referees are also more natural to someone who has been there for two decades. This is just a basic understanding of how things work in the world. It isn't fecking rocket science buddy

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Arsenal is on a par with the previous few seasons in the competitions they play in. The big difference at the moment is the fan and media sentiment, which was anti-Wenger in the past few seasons. Emery, who is in a similar position to Wenger comparing competitions, receives much better treatment then Wenger did. These are the positions at this stage in the past few seasons.

Current season:
Premier league - 16 games, position 5th, points 34
League cup - In quarter final

17/18
Premier league - 16 games, position 5th, points 29
League cup - In quarter final, got to final

16/17
Premier league - 16 games, position 3rd, points 34
Champions league - qualified top of the group
League cup - in quarter final - knocked out

15/16
Premier league - 16 games, position 2nd, points 33
Champions league - qualified second in the group
League cup - fourth round - knocked out
That’s inevitable because Wenger and Emery are both extremely able managers.

Last edited:

Tom349

JC talk about twisting people's words! No I never said that. What I am insinuating is that HE IS good enough to be the manager of this club and we can tell that by the very fact that he has adapted to a new league with great ease and has brought forth results in spite of not having nearly as much money to spend than his previous club and it now in a more competitive league where not only one team wins every year.

But I gather I am wasting my time here complete.
Feck me, what a wierd thread. AFC fan base is truly riddled with over expectant babies.

"He IS good enough" Its suggestions like this which make any argument you make completely bias. We are still in the process of determining whether or not he is good enough for Arsenal FC. There have been some promising signs and also some not so very promising signs to suggest whether Emery will be good enough. Simply stating he is good enough when there hasn't anywhere near enough of a sample size to suggest this could be the case shows you either have very few expectations of what is expected to a manger of Arsenal FC or just like Emery for the sake of liking him rather than his managerial ability. Which you guys defending every little thing Emery does without question are the reason posters like myself are questioning Emery. Its not a case of us thinking he is or isn't good enough or thinking he is ****, it is simply questioning his decisions and his ability to manage and not making ridiculous excuses for when he does make poor decisions.

Basically what you have said here is that it is exactly the same to be in charge of PSG (one of the richest teams in the world and the only real team in France) and to take charge of Arsenal who haven't won the league in over 10 years and spend a fraction during windows.

I suspect with most things this is a theme for you but you've missed the boat completely here. No, that isn't what I meant. My statement relates tot he fact that not only does twenty years give you more know how of other teams but dealings with media, fans and referees are also more natural to someone who has been there for two decades. This is just a basic understanding of how things work in the world. It isn't fecking rocket science buddy

Gee you're reaching there. Again no one has the expectations for Emery that PSG had but you could be mistaken for thinking he was manager ****ing Bournemouth given the way some of you posters carry on about how poorly Arsenal FC is done by and how we are meant to keep up with our rich rivals. This is a side with absolute quality players throughout it and whilst it doesn't have quite enough quality to win the league the bare expectation is to finish inside the top 4 and build on that. Which in some regards we are thereabouts but finishing inside the top 4 also means improving the style to the point where an extra couple of additions may narrow that bridge to the Man City and genuinely challenge them. This is where we have seen very little improvement over last season and is something Emery needs to rectify before the season is out.

The highlighted bit is just laughable. Go ask Wenger how media, fans and refs treated him after 20 years and how much easier it made his job.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

I think it’s plain to see that Emery is very capable competing in the EPL. We are spending 5th and he is performing 5th, and may get higher.

Mourinho, Pep and Klopp all performed below their squad cost position in their first season.

Modern football is less about managers and more about spend.

Dj_sds -

Also, in 20 years you have every right to assume that the players brought in are in line with the style of play, system and tactics of the manager, no excuses if they dont perform then. This is not yet the case with emery since he inherited an imbalanced group of players. Give him the chance to bring in the personel who fit his style of play before criticising him.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Also, in 20 years you have every right to assume that the players brought in are in line with the style of play, system and tactics of the manager, no excuses if they dont perform then. This is not yet the case with emery since he inherited an imbalanced group of players. Give him the chance to bring in the personel who fit his style of play before criticising him.
No, Stat DNA, which was Gazidis’ brain child was a failed experiment in my view. It was too soon for software to analyse players and come up with the next Harry Kane. Yes, Wenger came on board but it did him no favours.

Sven looks to be a big step up. The players he’s just brought in should give Emery a leg up. Torreira and Guendouzi have transformed our midfield already and Sokratis looks twice the player Gabriel ever was.

If you look at the players that moved from Arsenal, many of them are still injured or looking very average.

Tom349

I think it’s plain to see that Emery is very capable competing in the EPL. We are spending 5th and he is performing 5th, and may get higher.

Mourinho, Pep and Klopp all performed below their squad cost position in their first season.

Modern football is less about managers and more about spend.

These are the ridiculous excuses I am talking about. Pep and Klop have both spent a fair bit each but its the types of transfers they're making that are the key to what they achieving from their squads not actual amount spent. Instead of fighting the Pogba/Neymar/Mpabbe sweepstakes they have gone a targeted players with a specific role in mind for how they are going to add to the team. Which with Sven in charge of recruitment I see no reason we can't get to their levels with the right additions over the next couple of transfer windows. The problem I'm currently having is Im not sure what transfer we would make that would make you say he is an 'Emery' player, as he hasn't yet established the way he wants his team to play on a consistent level. That is something Pep and Klopp had done by the end of their first season, which it would be nice to know how Emery wants his team to be playing come the end of the season, which begins by making less reactive subs and tactical decisions and be ready to go from the first whistle.

kraphtous

Raul Stanllehi
SMITH ROWE: ONE-ON-ONE COACHING FROM EMERY IS ‘SURREAL’

“We had conversations at the beginning about what positions I like to play and what my attributes are,” Smith Rowe revealed. “Since then he has been giving me a lot of help and advice.

“The manager has done one-to-one stuff with me a few times after training, working on one-v-one attacking and just being patient.

The assistant manager [Juan Carlos Carcedo] has been helping me a lot too with turning on the ball when I play in the No 10 position.

“It’s good to get that help on the pitch, so I can actually practise it, instead of in the classroom. But even in the classroom, they have both had one-on-ones with me which I’ve found really useful.”

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

These are the ridiculous excuses I am talking about. Pep and Klop have both spent a fair bit each but its the types of transfers they're making that are the key to what they achieving from their squads not actual amount spent. Instead of fighting the Pogba/Neymar/Mpabbe sweepstakes they have gone a targeted players with a specific role in mind for how they are going to add to the team. Which with Sven in charge of recruitment I see no reason we can't get to their levels with the right additions over the next couple of transfer windows. The problem I'm currently having is Im not sure what transfer we would make that would make you say he is an 'Emery' player, as he hasn't yet established the way he wants his team to play on a consistent level. That is something Pep and Klopp had done by the end of their first season, which it would be nice to know how Emery wants his team to be playing come the end of the season, which begins by making less reactive subs and tactical decisions and be ready to go from the first whistle.
It’s still a lot easier to look like you’re finding the right player when you’ve got a fatter cheque book. Klopp has solved his CB problems with VVD, but £70m on a centre back isn’t an option for us. Throw in a keeper at £60m and your defence has been transformed.

Emery has got to make do with Sokratis at £16m and Leno at £25. They are both good for the price but when the chips are down small mistakes will start to tell over a season.

If Emery can rival Klopp I would be ecstatic but very surprised. It was a similar story with Wenger, but few could see it.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I'm not the one criticising hm..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom