• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I did not know how long the manager is in the league is the barometer we are using for how well we are doing.
What are you talking about. Nobody claimed that. Simple fact of the matter is the leagues vary from country to country. The style of football and culture are decisive factors in shaping the overall enviroment of a league. Adjusting to those is a skill and one that Emery clearly has. Wenger too had this skill but after 20 years in one league he certainly had the upper hand over anyone who had not even seen the league in action.
Not sure what is so difficult to grasp about this.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
I really can't believe you're still arguing squad cost. It's the equivalent of saying a car is faster than a pedal bike or that vegetables are healthier than junk food.
I’ve got nothing else to talk about. I’m the embarrassing guy at party with no small talk and when the pretty girl walks back into the room says, ‘Um . . er . . just been for a p*ss have you’.

Have some compassion.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
I’ve got nothing else to talk about. I’m the embarrassing guy at party with no small talk and when the pretty girl walks back into the room says, ‘Um . . er . . just been for a p*ss have you’.

Have some compassion.

You take self-irony to the extremes, mate. :lol:

Fallout

Is it worth it? If you assume that other variables are much less significant than squad cost then you can make a very simple measure of how well a manager is doing relative to his squad cost position.

So Pep should be 1st, Mourinho 2nd, Klopp 3rd, Sarri 4th, Emery 5th, Poch 6th, Silva 7th, Puel 8th etc.

We can see that per £ of investment Emery is bang on, whilst Mourinho is a waste of money. :)
honestly i need to rethink the construction of the model one more time, but i would imagine where you finished last season will be the biggest predictor of where you finish this season.

as an extreme example, if arsenal finished first last season and had the highest squad cost, then 20th place Sp**s spent 1B and usurped arsenal's squad cost, i think most people would still back arsenal the next season.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
It’s still a lot easier to look like you’re finding the right player when you’ve got a fatter cheque book. Klopp has solved his CB problems with VVD, but £70m on a centre back isn’t an option for us. Throw in a keeper at £60m and your defence has been transformed.

Emery has got to make do with Sokratis at £16m and Leno at £25. They are both good for the price but when the chips are down small mistakes will start to tell over a season.

If Emery can rival Klopp I would be ecstatic but very surprised. It was a similar story with Wenger, but few could see it.
The bolded part of your post hits the nail on the head. It's why many including myself were a bit underwhelmed by our summer signings. Individual mistakes cost and truly world class players make fewer errors. Emery has done a fantastic job with what we have,BUT there's a limit to how much he can do.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

The bolded part of your post hits the nail on the head. It's why many including myself were a bit underwhelmed by our summer signings. Individual mistakes cost and truly world class players make fewer errors. Emery has done a fantastic job with what we have,BUT there's a limit to how much he can do.
The bolded part of your post hits the nail on the head. :)

The bolded part of your post hits the nail on the head. :)

You guys are very bold and brave. I got several murder threats in PM this summer for being skeptical about couple of our summer signings with the essay poster leading in the attacks on me on here. It appears he is the most negative one now. :lol:

Anyway I think our signings has done quite well actually, better than I expected. Probably because Emery works overtime keeping these players at their best!

But if we wan't to take the next step, you know, to go toe to toe with City and Liverpool in next two season we will need super star signing in a couple of positions. Not Sokratis and Lenos but Van Djik and Alisons.

But Emery can do nothing unless Kroenke backs him massively.

Rouski

What are you talking about. Nobody claimed that. Simple fact of the matter is the leagues vary from country to country. The style of football and culture are decisive factors in shaping the overall enviroment of a league. Adjusting to those is a skill and one that Emery clearly has. Wenger too had this skill but after 20 years in one league he certainly had the upper hand over anyone who had not even seen the league in action.
Not sure what is so difficult to grasp about this.

I understand what you are saying, it sounds like waffle. I don't think how long the manager is in the league is a primary reason to judge how well the team is doing. The stats show that we are in a similar position to previous seasons so it is premature to get carried away.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Anyway I think our signings has done quite well actually, better than I expected. Probably because Emery works overtime keeping these players at their best!
They say the man’s a workaholic. Sadly I can see his marriage going on the rocks in a few years, just like Wenger’s did. That’s price you pay for dedication.

Preacher

Always Crying
The difference between Arsenal in the first half and Arsenal in the second half is pretty vast. The reasons for that difference, like the reasons for most things, fall firmly in the gray area between total randomness and being completely within the team’s control. They’re playing differently, but they’re also getting unlucky in ways which are magnifying that difference. Throw a manager who is willing to aggressively react and use substitutions to change the makeup of the team into that stew and you’ve got Arsenal. They’re pretty good. They’re pretty weird. But if being pretty weird is the worst thing you can say about the Gunners, that’s a lot better than where they were a couple of months ago.

Mo Britain

Doom Monger
They say the man’s a workaholic. Sadly I can see his marriage going on the rocks in a few years, just like Wenger’s did. That’s price you pay for dedication.
Wenger's marriage went on the rocks because he shagged a young female rapper or somesuch. Must have been the five minutes he dedicated himself to something other than football.

On Emery's future, here's a thought. It was 18 years between Bertie Mee's and George Graham's first league title. After that we waited 9 years for Wenger's first league win. He gave us 3 titles in 7 years but we haven't won the league for 14 years now (I am not going to include this season yet).

Emery's chances of winning the league are only a little better than Leicester's were in the year of the fluke. I would suggest, given his record and our ownership, that we may have a slightly higher chance of winning the CL.

Assuming he doesn't win either of those how many FA Cups and League Cups does he need to win to stay in the job. And, given the attitude in the later Wenger years, how many season does he get without winning the league before he is sacked?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Wenger's marriage went on the rocks because he shagged a young female rapper or somesuch. Must have been the five minutes he dedicated himself to something other than football.

On Emery's future, here's a thought. It was 18 years between Bertie Mee's and George Graham's first league title. After that we waited 9 years for Wenger's first league win. He gave us 3 titles in 7 years but we haven't won the league for 14 years now (I am not going to include this season yet).

Emery's chances of winning the league are only a little better than Leicester's were in the year of the fluke. I would suggest, given his record and our ownership, that we may have a slightly higher chance of winning the CL.

Assuming he doesn't win either of those how many FA Cups and League Cups does he need to win to stay in the job. And, given the attitude in the later Wenger years, how many season does he get without winning the league before he is sacked?
Not sure much of what happened before 2004 is of much relevance to Emery’s job. As soon as you got oil tycoons and countries buying football clubs everything changed.

I’m hoping he'll do like Wenger and win the odd cup here and there. And of course keep us in the top 4. Ironically all the things Wenger was ridiculed for. The Europa League would be great.

Like you I’d be staggered if he won the league. The CL would be a better bet than that, as you say, bro.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
You guys are very bold and brave. I got several murder threats in PM this summer for being skeptical about couple of our summer signings with the essay poster leading in the attacks on me on here. It appears he is the most negative one now. :lol:

But if we wan't to take the next step, you know, to go toe to toe with City and Liverpool in next two season we will need super star signing in a couple of positions. Not Sokratis and Lenos but Van Djik and Alisons.

But Emery can do nothing unless Kroenke backs him massively.
I'm surprised you got that reaction as quite a few were "underwhelmed". The signings have done better than I ever imagined apart from Torreira who I knew was quality as is performing to standard. We need to do husiness in January because what we have isn't enough. It would be silly whilst we gave a chance of top 4 not to maximise our chance of getting it. Hopefully Josh Kroenke can come through for us as I've zero faith in Stan.

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

22 games unbeaten. Took injuries and suspensions to bring this man down. Thank Unai for making me love Arsenal again!

What a human, onwards and upwards.

Tom349

Another awful performance by Emery. Can talk all you like about injuries but it his job to find ways of overcoming them regardless of who is available to him. Playing a back three with only one of those being a genuine defender and happening to be coming off a very serious injury is not how you go about dealing with a defensive crisis. Today was his first real test and he failed miserably at it.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Another awful performance by Emery. Can talk all you like about injuries but it his job to find ways of overcoming them regardless of who is available to him. Playing a back three with only one of those being a genuine defender and happening to be coming off a very serious injury is not how you go about dealing with a defensive crisis. Today was his first real test and he failed miserably at it.

Please, please, please bring back the Lobby, ffs!

Giroud12

Absolutely fecked it up with the line up, but lets not pretend like the media darlings klopp and poch did amazing in their first season. Great first season so far

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom