• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
Yes, pretty much. Better managers in Pep, Mourinho, Poch and Klopp arrived and we immediately dropped out of the top 4. We began spending more but still got worse.

We was the man when going up against ignorant English managers that just thought you had to run around a bit.

Tbf a lot of these guys probably grew up without their fathers so Arsène Wenger was the closest thing to a dad. Celebrity worship is a weird thing, it’s even worse in football.

UpTheGunnerz

Vrei sa pleci dar una una iei

Player:Elneny
We need to bring back Wenger. When the team struggled after the emirates move and the Kroenke takeover, we were told it was all Wenger's fault. He needs less power. So we gave him less power. And the team got worse, and our success relative to our position worsened. Its all Wenger's fault we were told, "we need to sack him, something needs to change." So we sacked him, and now we are even worse off.

Time for people to realise it was never Wenger's fault and he's probably the best manager in the world.

Is there anyway to unsee a post without having to gauge my eyes out?

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
We was the man when going up against ignorant English managers that just thought you had to run around a bit.

Tbf a lot of these guys probably grew up without their fathers so Arsène Wenger was the closest thing to a dad. Celebrity worship is a weird thing, it’s even worse in football.
You just have to go back and look at the footages from back then. Like watching prime Barcelona against Liga Adelante relegation fodder.

Beksl

Sell All The Youngsters
The idea in pre season was, amongst other things, to instill an atmosphere of power and positivity - basically going full throttle - when coming onto the Emirates pitch, transport that onto the audience as to create/provoke an emotional response - to which Emery agreed when he arrived, but then undermined this by demanding a calm, slow and risk averse approach at home.

I’ll presume this notion is true.

As I said before his first season was a big learning experience for Emery. I suspect he was prepared to instil positive football and mentality that goes with it. We saw glimpses of this idea (building from the back, quick one two passing patterns, exploiting width through advantageous fullbacks etc) with beautiful passages of play, namely against Fulham and Leicester that resulted in goal of the season candidates.

What happened IMO was a combination of multiple factors but most importantly injuries in key positions as well as defensive issues resulted in a more pragmatic risk averse approach. He also underestimated the level of opposition at times, especially away and that reflected in how he approached home games after a couple of bad results. He also rotated too much at times especially if you consider the lack of quality options on the bench. Should have given more chance to academy lads instead of shoehorning the likes of Elneny, Jenko and Lichtensteiner who have absolutely no longterm future here.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Some inside stuff from transfermarkt, so take it how ever you want to:

Apparently Emery has been very negative in his contact with and evaluation of the team when addressing the players, for which he's earned club internal criticism from early on.

The club had apparently brought in external people to mentally coach/speak with the team to help instill a new positive/dominant identity during pre season which supposedly is/was completely at odds with Emery's underdog mentality.

The idea in pre season was, amongst other things, to instill an atmosphere of power and positivity - basically going full throttle - when coming onto the Emirates pitch, transport that onto the audience as to create/provoke an emotional response - to which Emery agreed when he arrived, but then undermined this by demanding a calm, slow and risk averse approach at home.

Emery's approach is the right now, a new positive/dominant identity is absolutely worthless when it is clear and undeniable that we are now currently paupers. The club is in bigger trouble than I thought if the people above Emery haven't realize that yet. Monchi probably saw it and said to himself that he doesn't want anything to do with these bunch of delusional losers.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Emery's approach is the right now, a new positive/dominant identity is absolutely worthless when it is clear and undeniable that we are now currently paupers. The club is in bigger trouble than I thought if the people above Emery haven't realize that yet. Monchi probably saw it and said to himself that he doesn't want anything to do with these bunch of delusional losers.

Being paupers doesn't mean you can't play good and confident footie. I actually think half the squad suffered from the manager's cautious handbrake approach cause they're just not suited to it. Look at Barca being picked apart by Liverpool when they tried to park the bus, look at Ajax getting worse vs Sp**s when they reverted to parking the bus against their usual tactics and instincts.

scytheavatar

Established Member
Being paupers doesn't mean you can't play good and confident footie. I actually think half the squad suffered from the manager's cautious handbrake approach cause they're just not suited to it. Look at Barca being picked apart by Liverpool when they tried to park the bus, look at Ajax getting worse vs Sp**s when they reverted to parking the bus against their usual tactics and instincts.

Except we don't have the players to play "good and confident" football, people are delusional if they think Xhaka and Torreira are as good as Vieira and Gliberto. Heck it's not even as good as Cazorla and Coquelin. Emery has to guide us through an extensive squad rebuild over multiple seasons to get us to where we want to be, at the meantime he has to do with what that is available to him. And he needs to choose the most pragmatic and reliable way of getting results, even if it's not pretty.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
I actually think half the squad suffered from the manager's cautious handbrake approach cause they're just not suited to it.
They must have been even less suited the year before then. Where is this narrative that they were promptly all brainwashed into being shrinking violets, coming from? Because the process didn't seem to work on all the players that were either lunatic kamikazes last season or actually had a good season. Seems to me like a few games at the end of a long season has made the theory conveniently plausible for some.
Look at Barca being picked apart by Liverpool when they tried to park the bus, look at Ajax getting worse vs Sp**s when they reverted to parking the bus against their usual tactics and instincts.
They did anything but park the bus. They kept trying to score throughout the match and this was noticeable and commented on by pundits and people on here at the time. Liverpool were the better side in both legs.

Ajax was a case of good old ****ting the bed when doubt crept in and the very young side crumbled at 2-1. The two examples couldn't be any more different for me. But yes, if one wants to create a story, it's quite easily done.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I remember this match quite differently with barce throwing everything including the kitchen sink at Liverpool and VVD said "Feck off"

Second leg Barca played parked the bus and counter through Messi and they got ****ed royally. Don't know how you can interpret that game as Barca playing an offensive game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom