• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
I read Emerys interview saying we couldnt go long because we are not physical enough. That's fine. But at least we can defend with 11 men behind the ball. And then try to counter. Rather than playing out and losing the ball in our own third inviting them on to our back four or worse onto our keeper.

It was horrible to hear those words that we lacked the physicality as if that is all that matters. What matters is the position of the ball to our goal and what is in between. The more there is in between the better protected you are. But it also forces their press to drop off because the gap between their defence or midfield is to far from the attack. So the attack drops to receive the ball from the midfield.

Souness and his semi pro chat is spot on.
The problem is Emery is under immense pressure already. He has no defined style of play or system. He is literally trying everything and all within 90 minutes. He lacks the basic courage he had last season.There is nothing wrong with playing out from the back, but not across your own goal line lol. He says we lacked physicality but watch Ederson kick to Bernardo Silva on the touchline and half way up the pitch. He's hardly a physical behemoth. Guendouzi was often wide and with some direction, that was an outlet. The players were also as static as I've ever seen from every gk. I've never been so nervous from a gk! The other issue is that Watford had one striker. Their progression play was superb and af no time was Gray isolated and not involved. With just one striker, there was the much talked about opportunity for Luiz to step out of defence and add another passing option. The narrow diamond? Pepe on the pitch and Nelson on the bench. What about Martinelli? What was that about. Every fan can understand your system. How did a manager famed for his tactics get it so wrong?

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
The thing that annoys me is that there's a few games you think of the Liverpool home game last season, the NLD 4-2 win, the ties vs Napoli and Valencia where we play with aggression and intent but then there's so many games were we just play so passively at times. I wonder how much communication is playing apart because I do not believe for one second it was Emery's instruction to just sit there and try to survive against Watford. I think the players just were confused and didn't really know what they were supposed to be doing, especially after the goal from Sokratis' mistake.

But here's the thing, that's only a handful of good performances in a whole season. It's pretty damning.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery's current problems are nothing todo with squad cost.
Rubbish. Every single manager is only as good as the players he has on the pitch. Fact. Yes a good manager can improve the sum of their parts but only by a certain amount.

I can’t even understand what might go through the mind of anyone who saw our defenders last year and thought, ‘I know, let’s throw our big money at a forward’. Emery’s got to live with the reality of that decision.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
If my job was on the line I would be wondering why the **** the decision makers spent 30m on a CB loaned out & 25m on an injured LB.

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

Rubbish. Every single manager is only as good as the players he has on the pitch. Fact. Yes a good manager can improve the sum of their parts but only by a certain amount.

I can’t even understand what might go through the mind of anyone who saw our defenders last year and thought, ‘I know, let’s throw our big money at a forward’. Emery’s got to live with the reality of that decision.
They expected kos to stay and spent 27m on a young cb and close to 25m for a LB. Also brought in Luiz for 8m , what is your point? Our current situation is not linked to money. Sp**s spent fvck all last year and finished 3rd!!

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

How do you explain Lampard and Farke have a philosophy, identity while Emery is still trying to find out his line up.
From all I’ve read about Emery he takes every game as it comes. Thinks deeply, watches videos and chooses tactics and the team to suit.

If it comes off, it looks good. If it doesn’t come off it looks like he doesn’t know his line up, because of the changes.

He’s the opposite of Wenger who (apart from the last two years where he changed due to pressure) picked his best team and kept practicising the same aggressive possession style for every team. ‘Worry about your own tactics not the oppositions. Let them try and nullify you.’

There is no right or wrong here

Dennis_Bergkamp_10

Established Member
It's weird though. We had performances like this under Wenger and people kept saying it was because he didn't do tactics and only had one game plan. But Emery, the man who build the EL winning machine called Sevilla, would give us defensive stability.

Now one and a half season later the same glaring deficiencies are showing and we might be even worse footballing wise. Hoof it to Auba and hope for the best.

I'm not saying that it's not Emery's fault but we as a club have some real issues in our way that we play and throughout our DNA. We've gotten an entire new spine and a new coach and we look worse.

Where has my Arsenal gone and how do we get it back?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

They expected kos to stay and spent 27m on a young cb and close to 25m for a LB. Also brought in Luiz for 8m , what is your point? Our current situation is not linked to money. Sp**s spent fvck all last year and finished 3rd!!
Sp**s already have a good squad. Let’s not go into how they achieved it. We don’t.

It was as clear as day what held us back last year, including a failing Kos. This forum was littered with posts about us needing to address defensive and midfield problems. We haven’t addressed them and they’re still here.

El Duderino

That's, like, your opinion, man.
If my job was on the line I would be wondering why the **** the decision makers spent 30m on a CB loaned out & 25m on an injured LB.

Like our top 4 run in, he thought he could probably scrape by. Still a couple of games to go, but I he might arrive at Old Trafford needing a win to turn things around.

JoaoFelix

Only if you need glasses. :lol:
What's Emery style? Philosphy? What did he achieve since he joined Arsenal? I follow PSG too I can tell you that Emery is considered to be the worst coach since Qatar took over the club. Literally, fans, journalists, everyone wanted him out.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
Gimme a login, I’ll fix it for a bottle of Patrón Añejo - THIS IS A SERIOUS OFFER

0.7 litres for 40 Euros, listed as Beer and Tequila at the same time on amazon, what is that stuff? Some magic get you drunk in an instant potion?

JoaoFelix

Mbappe made his worst season under Emery, Paris worst's defeat were under Emery. Literally no player liked Emery. Last time they lost the title it was under Emery. He didn't bring nothing to paris, no style, no identity. There was too much ego for him. At Arsena. He been there for a moment. What did he achieve? Nothing. We finished 5th. We didn't win EL. No style, no identity. The only thing positive coming out from him is Guendouzi. The fact he's not scared to put youngsters on the pitch. I recently seen he was forced to.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
With those stats it is impossible for none defense to make mistakes or maintain no goals... this is not because of individual misses... this mistakes have been done because of this constant pressure in the defense.

It’s the whole system failing. You can’t have 100 shots in 5 matches and expect no problems in goal.

Ah, another one making sense. Systemic issues raising pressure on parts of the team leading to individual mistakes.

It's also no wonder Arsenal gets turned over once the game is seemingly decided, like against Watford. Once you release pressure on the opponent you give them opportunity. You gotta stay in the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom