• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
So who should we be replacing him with?
Someone fresh.

I know this wont be a surprise statement coming from me but experience is overrated. What's more important to me is the overall philosophy and tactical strategy of the coach. The name doesn't matter.

I kinda cringe when I see the likes of Mourinho and even Allegri to an extent linked with us - knowing we want to be a club that emphasizes attacking football and use of the academy both as squad players and sellable assets. Neither of those guys strongly address any of the above. Just names.

We need to be even more thorough when selecting. Because looking at Emerys work here so far, looks like the intricate selection committee that was touted upon Wenger's departure wasnt thorough enough.

I like what Vieira has done at Nice and even though Southampton have struggled a tad, Hassenhuttl is also quite interesting. I'm definitely for an out of the box appointment, or if we are gonna go more high end, get an attacking manager.

Garrincha

Wilf Zaha Aficionado
Trusted ⭐
I feel we wait the season out for a Vieira or similar profile manager. Its then just a clean amicable break with no sacking or payoff required.

Can only see Emery sacked mid season if Raul wants to go in win now mode for a year or two with the mentioned free agent juggernauts Allegri & Mourinho. Not really against that personally as we have Aubameyang at 30. Saying that I dont really see Allegri biting at any offer with this squad though.

Aubamagoal

Someone fresh.

I know this wont be a surprise statement coming from me but experience is overrated. What's more important to me is the overall philosophy and tactical strategy of the coach. The name doesn't matter.

I kinda cringe when I see the likes of Mourinho and even Allegri to an extent linked with us - knowing we want to be a club that emphasizes attacking football and use of the academy both as squad players and sellable assets. Neither of those guys strongly address any of the above. Just names.

We need to be even more thorough when selecting. Because looking at Emerys work here so far, looks like the intricate selection committee that was touted upon Wenger's departure wasnt thorough enough.

I like what Vieira has done at Nice and even though Southampton have struggled a tad, Hassenhuttl is also quite interesting. I'm definitely for an out of the box appointment, or if we are gonna go more high end, get an attacking manager.

I agree with your point that philosophy and style is important. With the right structure in place, which Edu/Raul proving to be doing a good job, the manager will succeed. People often forget that we hired a fairly unproven manager from nagoya grampus eight 23 years ago, who has gone on to win so many trophies for us.

MutableEarth

Reiss' Dad
Trusted ⭐
I agree with your point that philosophy and style is important. With the right structure in place, which Edu/Raul proving to be doing a good job, the manager will succeed. People often forget that we hired a fairly unproven manager from nagoya grampus eight 23 years ago, who has gone on to win so many trophies for us.
In fairness, Wenger did relatively well before going to Japan. He wasnt completely unknown or even necessarily unproven but he was definitely left field.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade
Watching today CL was so painful... Borussia playing like we should do, dealing with tempo and simple passes the pressure from Barcelona.

Barcelona must give thanks for not losing that game. Shame Reus failed a penalty

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Come on, Torreira isn’t much better and Willock is still unproven. Compared to a lot of teams in the league our midfield is inexperienced and full of mistakes. We are going nowhere with Xhaka at its heart.
I personally rate Torreira well above Xhaka. Yes, Torreira isn't tall but to me he seems to be defensively sound, he is tidy with the ball and can turn quickly in tight situations. For some reason Emery seems to rate Xhaka higher though. I struggle to see why, but it is clearly the case.

yorch44

Commander of the Pelotudo Brigade

Another video of how a good manager sets up a system and how important it is... the way the defend and attack... the zones, the pressure and the way they attack. We don’t have any of this.

To be fair to Emery he is a decent placeholder. Hopefully more deadwood leaves next summer and the next manager has a cleaner slate to begin with.

I didn't really expect much given how bad things had got as Wenger was leaving. However, the way Emery has stifled the team has been shocking. I think the issues in the squad have now got beyond him and he doesn't have an answer. The obvious answer is - we are a bit **** in defence so lets go all out and work to our strengths. His answer is - lets try to change every game until something works and I have fixed everything in one go.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
He needs to cut out this passing out from the back. Our players aren't right for it as can clearly be seen.

We don't need to play hoof ball but we're playing Mr Mistake in Xhaka and Guendouzi who for some inexplicable reason seems to have an absence seizure whenever he receives the ball near our box.

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

I'm trying to understand why he is making it harder for himself. Has great attacking talent and error prone defenders so his tactic is to invite pressure on his **** defenders and barely utilize his attack? Brilliant stuff.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

I'm trying to understand why he is making it harder for himself. Has great attacking talent and error prone defenders so his tactic is to invite pressure on his **** defenders and barely utilize his attack? Brilliant stuff.
He had error prone defenders and an error prone DM last year.

I repeat why have we not addressed that in the transfer window. We even bought another error prone ageing defender. That’s on Raul not Emery.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
He had error prone defenders and an error prone DM last year.

I repeat why have we not addressed that in the transfer window. We even bought another error prone ageing defender. That’s on Raul not Emery.
But it is on Emery to persist with tactics that don't suit the squad, Trax... You can't have it both ways lad. We've never been big spenders, ever. Wenger never played **** football like this man is attempting with garbage personal at the back...

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

Anyway, as always people are over the top with their criticism. 5 games in we’re equal 3rd with 8 points, having only lost to Liverpool. The league is all about how you do over 38 games not 5.

My worry is how the media attention effects the players. They need to stay strong ready for the return of Bellerin and Tierney, which should have a reasonable impact.

Still expecting a top 4 finish and an improvement on last year. Remember Klopp’s first two seasons was 8th and 4th.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

But it is on Emery to persist with tactics that don't suit the squad, Trax... You can't have it both ways lad. We've never been big spenders, ever. Wenger never played **** football like this man is attempting with garbage personal at the back...
We’re the 5th richest out of 92 English clubs, we shouldn’t have garbage at the back. ;)

Oxeki

Match Day Thread Merchant
Trusted ⭐

Anyway, as always people are over the top with their criticism. 5 games in we’re equal 3rd with 8 points, having only lost to Liverpool. The league is all about how you do over 38 games not 5.

My worry is how the media attention effects the players. They need to stay strong ready for the return of Bellerin and Tierney, which should have a reasonable impact.

Still expecting a top 4 finish and an improvement on last year. Remember Klopp’s first two seasons was 8th and 4th.

At least you could see what he was trying to implement. Liverpool fans could actually enjoy going to games.

A year into Emery's tenure, I still can't put my finger on the style we're trying to play.
A least, if we have a defined style, structure and identity, I could at least be patient and see how it goes. It's like paying premium subscription fee to a cable company and you end up watching a blank TV screen.

Look at Chelsea. I'm not even a Chelsea fan. from a couple of their games I have seen, I can already tell how Lampard intends for them to play.

The most damning comparison is Norwich. Are you saying Norwich has a better team than us? Look at the way they move the ball and play through city's press in the last game. I refuse to believe that was player instinct. It is coached.

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

At least you could see what he was trying to implement. Liverpool fans could actually enjoy going to games.

A year into Emery's tenure, I still can't put my finger on the style we're trying to play.
A least, if we have a defined style, structure and identity, I could at least be patient and see how it goes. It's like paying premium subscription fee to a cable company and you end up watching a blank TV screen.

Look at Chelsea. I'm not even a Chelsea fan. from a couple of their games I have seen, I can already tell how Lampard intends for them to play.

The most damning comparison is Norwich. Are you saying Norwich has a better team than us? Look at the way they move the ball and play through city's press in the last game. I refuse to believe that was player instinct. It is coached.
That was one game.

Let’s see where Norwich end up shall we?

Makingtrax

Trusted ⭐

So with our budget, who would you have bought? The market for defenders is absolutely f*cked...
Arsenal pay people to watch matches all over the world, check out the stats, visit games and meet to discuss potential buys. I only watch the Premiership, a few French games and some CL highlight shows. Why ask me?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom