• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

blaze_of_glory

He deserves at least one more season unless it goes really south this year. Only way to really judge. But too many of the things he's doing now don't inspire confidence.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
He's a fool, plain and simple.

Was looking for a word to use, but fool is the best one. Can't put it any better. Emery is a fool, simple as that. I'm done with that reactionist muppet. He didn't make the team any better even though a capeable CB and a proper DM were added. He's got a magnificent striking duo. He's a fearsful underdog. He's way in over his head managing top clubs. In France he got beat to the title by Monaco and won else cause his squad was way on top of any other. At Sevilla he was a fearful, reactionist underdog manager, and he's still at Arsenal. **** me rather win 4-3 than 1-0 - by any telltale signs he would rather do the latter but he's not even fit to manage that. Cheated his way into this job with a presentation cause he knew he was being shown the door in paris and took too big of a bite to chew. He's had a full pre season, we're now in mid January and the team got even worse than last season, he's shown no ideas what he wants to do, the team doesn't show any glimpses of a coherent style, he's ****ed our offensive game, pushed Ramsey out of the club, is on his way to pushing Özil out of the club, and puts his hopes of clinging to this job in loaning sub quality players he's previously worked with like Suarez and Banega.

I was all for giving him at least two seasons and willing to forgive him for failing Top 4 if he at least could give this team a proper tactical corset and show glimpses of what he was trying to do, where he wants to take this team and something resembling a coherent play style. He's done nothing of that and by now it's not enough for me. And please don't use the we need to sign players suiting his style/better players argument anymore. What style? Why give him better players if he doesn't show anything that would justify such trust in him that he could actually do any better with "just the right squad"?

We're in a dire position, we need the points, our potential definitely lies in the attack, and he goes with an underdog reactionist formation and tactic against West Ham. He's just the wrong guy.

The only thing I expect of him by now is to not completely **** up and loose 5th to United. Salvage 5th, get rid of him and hire someone new after the season. Unai Emery is not a top manager and definitely not cut out to manage a top club. He's lucky if by the end of his days he goes down as the Rafa Benitez of his generation, but I'd even doubt that.

Toby

Nine of the players that started for Liverpool today weren’t there when Klopp was appointed.

You could still kind of see a Klopp style from the day he took over. It just either failed miserably and ended in **** footie or it went great. Arsenal under Emery is just dull fearful **** all the time under Emery.

The point being: You should be willing to give and grant a manager new signings, as a fan and as a club, if he is clear about what he has in mind and shows that - whether that is every game or every 5th game, but if that's in place in some way, the confidence to go out and sign players to his will/profile should be there. And that's what Liverpool got and they had a good sample of what Klopp could do with a team assembled to his taste from Dortmund. Emery is showing **** all here. There's zero reason to have confidence in him suddenly turning everything around once the club spents 100m on the guys he wants.

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
Emery’s 5th. Klopp finished 8th in his first season, now he’s challenging for the title.

Every manager deserves a decent time before people call him out.

West Ham beat United 3-1 and the Sp**s match was a very cagey 1-0.

Not blaming Emery for that ridiculous Xhaka header in the box straight to an attacker. He should have headed it out for a corner. It was a tight match and could have gone either way until that point.

Football fans are crazy.

Toby

Football fans are crazy.

Football is crazy - not the fans. And you either keep up with that or break the cycle by longterm stability. Emery gives you neither one. He's not good enough. He's not good enough for short term success and by all signs he's not good enough to trust him to lead this club for at least 5 years or more.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Emery’s 5th. Klopp finished 8th in his first season, now he’s challenging for the title.

Not blaming Emery for that ridiculous Xhaka header in the box straight to an attacker. He should have headed it out for a corner. It was a tight match and could have gone either way until that point.

Football fans are crazy.

Why is it relevant what Klopp did? He took over a **** squad in the middle of a **** season. If Emery took over while we were ****, nobody would be wanting him gone already.

Ok, don't blame Emery for that, but blame him with the shower of pathetic offensive play we're showing then.

field442

Hates Journalists Named James
Trusted ⭐
You could still kind of see a Klopp style from the day he took over. It just either failed miserably and ended in **** footie or it went great. Arsenal under Emery is just dull fearful **** all the time under Emery.

The point being: You should be willing to give and grant a manager new signings, as a fan and as a club, if he is clear about what he has in mind and shows that - whether that is every game or every 5th game, but if that's in place in some way, the confidence to go out and sign players to his will/profile should be there. And that's what Liverpool got and they had a good sample of what Klopp could do with a team assembled to his taste from Dortmund. Emery is showing **** all here. There's zero reason to have confidence in him suddenly turning everything around once the club spents 100m on the guys he wants.

It’s not dull because it’s fearful, it’s because it’s one dimensional. We’re used to seeing passing and moving through the middle and he has resorted to this overlapping wing back ****e playing three at the back. If you cast your mind back a few months we started playing some great football. I remember the Ramsey goal against Fulham and then there was an even better one a week or two after that.

I feel for him a bit because Welbeck and Mkhitaryan got injured and he has no real wide players other than Iwobi. I feel like if he had another winger/attacking midfielder we wouldn’t have been playing the three at the back as much and using wing backs and our performances would probably have been better. He has also had to play without decent full backs for large chunks of the season.

The Özil stuff is a head scratcher though. Even though I’m not a fan of his terribly inconsistent performances I’d still play him just because we have no creativity in the middle otherwise.

teamsoutheast

Football fans are crazy.

Absolutely ridulous stuff coming from some of our fans at the moment. This is sadly what football has become. Not surprising that it's some of the same old cuplrits questioning the manager after 6months in the job without considering that this process will take time.

Toby

It’s not dull because it’s fearful, it’s because it’s one dimensional. We’re used to seeing passing and moving through the middle and he has resorted to this overlapping wing back ****e playing three at the back. If you cast your mind back a few months we started playing some great football. I remember the Ramsey goal against Fulham and then there was an even better one a week or two after that.

I feel for him a bit because Welbeck and Mkhitaryan got injured and he has no real wide players other than Iwobi. I feel like if he had another winger/attacking midfielder we wouldn’t have been playing the three at the back as much and using wing backs and our performances would probably have been better. He has also had to play without decent full backs for large chunks of the season.

The Özil stuff is a head scratcher though. Even though I’m not a fan of his terribly inconsistent performances I’d still play him just because we have no creativity in the middle otherwise.

He's got enough attacking talent, he's just time and again choosing to not use them. As if Welbeck and/or Mkhitaryan have added or would add anything exceptional to our attacking game.

I concur with you that one dimensionality should have been something I could have used to describe his "style", but it stems from fearfulness. Who the **** goes into home games against teams well below you in the league with 5 defenders and 3 defensive central midfielders with no vertical dynamic in his midfield and only two attackers? And then when we desperately need points to keep up with Top 4, he takes the Beta road against West Ham and shows them respect. This is Arsenal. We need and want to get Top 4. We have excellent attacking options available. And he still decides to go with a back 5, put Ramsey on the bench, and leave Özil out of the squad for good, in a team which only lives by it's attacking potential and which needs to win. That's one dimensional, but that one dimensionality stems from a basic fearfulness and uneccessary underdog menatlity in my opinion.

juice man

Can't make his mind up
We watched Wenger make the same mistakes for a decade, I don’t understand why we can’t give this guy a season or two.

Reactions: A_G

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners
Absolutely ridulous stuff coming from some of our fans at the moment. This is sadly what football has become. Not surprising that it's some of the same old cuplrits questioning the manager after 6months in the job without considering that this process will take time.
what exactly is the process though? it looks from where I'm sitting that we're dumping our best players for next to nothing with no money to buy any replacements, let alone upgrades

sure a new manager needs time to bed in, but surely he should spend at least the first few months assessing what he has inherited, and looking to improve on it, before unsettling everyone by constantly changing the starting line-up, and playing favourites

I hope it all works out for him, I really do, but I get worried when I see a manager overplaying a new young inexperienced player and cold-shouldering an older much more experienced player of 5 years standing - it makes me wonder if he lacks confidence in dealing with the more challenging man-management isuues, as happened at PSG

Zaza

Football fans are crazy.
Doesn't explain why he's left out two of our best midfielders and playing without no identity other than superior fitness. Players are tired and it's showing...ridiculous

progman07

Established Member

Football fans are crazy.
To be honest though, not everyone who does not do well in his first year is Klopp. It's a fair point that someone before managed to turn it around, but it doesn't mean Emery will - he doesn't look like he has 10th of the motivational character Klopp looks to have, which is very important if we want to see us punch above our weights.

I'm not saying he should not get time, for me he has this season to show he can organise the team better than Wenger, but so far it's not looking too positive. We were riding our luck with terrible first halves during the season, and now with more tired legs we are found out.

If he cannot organise this team he inherited better than Wenger, then is he good enough?

Last edited:

teamsoutheast

what exactly is the process though? it looks from where I'm sitting that we're dumping our best players for next to nothing with no money to buy any replacements, let alone upgrades

sure a new manager needs time to bed in, but surely he should spend at least the first few months assessing what he has inherited, and looking to improve on it, before unsettling everyone by constantly changing the starting line-up, and playing favourites

I hope it all works out for him, I really do, but I get worried when I see a manager overplaying a new young inexperienced player and cold-shouldering an older much more experienced player of 5 years standing - it makes me wonder if he lacks confidence in dealing with the more challenging man-management isuues, as happened at PSG

Here's my assessment of Unai Emery. We started off playing in a 4-2-3-1. Although we were scoring alot of goals, we were also conceding at an alarming rate. Just before Christmas, we were the 5th highest scoring team in Europe behind Barcelona, Manchester City, PSG and Borussia Dortmund. Some of the goals we have scored this season, will for sure be included in the goals of the season competition with the fluency and football we played. You will see most of these goals resulted from playing out at the back which is what Emery has implemented. We were shipping in too many goals so Emery changed to 3CB to try and stabilise things which is completely understandable. This has though resulted in us losing control in midfield which I think is more the problem than the defensive personnell we have. We don't control the midfield enough especially against the better teams. I feel he has noticed this though hence why he is trying to bring in a creative midfielder (Denis Suarez) and also a winger (Yannick Carrasco), which if he manages to pull off, will suprise many people as these signings will definitely allow us more tactical flexibility. Although it looks odd, I fully understand why he has seemingly frozen out Ramsey. We all know he's not going to be signing a contract with us so Emery's main focus is to try and develop players who will be with us in the long term (Guendouzi). Why should a player who is leaving in 6 months still deserve to start ahead of someone who is here for the long term? It's arguably, better to invest that time in Guendouzi and focus on the future, than play Ramsey (although some may say he is the better player). I think this is definitely work in progress for Emery and I think he's on the right track. With a little luck in the transfer market, he should defnitely turn things around.

progman07

Established Member
Here's my assessment of Unai Emery. We started off playing in a 4-2-3-1. Although we were scoring alot of goals, we were also conceding at an alarming rate. Just before Christmas, we were the 5th highest scoring team in Europe behind Barcelona, Manchester City, PSG and Borussia Dortmund. Some of the goals we have scored this season, will for sure be included in the goals of the season competition with the fluency and football we played. You will see most of these goals resulted from playing out at the back which is what Emery has implemented. We were shipping in too many goals so Emery changed to 3CB to try and stabilise things which is completely understandable. This has though resulted in us losing control in midfield which I think is more the problem than the defensive personnell we have. We don't control the midfield enough especially against the better teams. I feel he has noticed this though hence why he is trying to bring in a creative midfielder (Denis Suarez) and also a winger (Yannick Carrasco), which if he manages to pull off, will suprise many people as these signings will definitely allow us more tactical flexibility. Although it looks odd, I fully understand why he has seemingly frozen out Ramsey. We all know he's not going to be signing a contract with us so Emery's main focus is to try and develop players who will be with us in the long term (Guendouzi). Why should a player who is leaving in 6 months still deserve to start ahead of someone who is here for the long term? It's arguably, better to invest that time in Guendouzi and focus on the future, than play Ramsey (although some may say he is the better player). I think this is definitely work in progress for Emery and I think he's on the right track. With a little luck in the transfer market, he should defnitely turn things around.
That's a very well written assessment, even though I think we were quite lucky early on the season, we probably relied on our superior fitness levels in the 2nd halves of the games, and the two world class strikers to turn games around. Playing out of the back provided lots of dangerous situations and we could have conceded even more due to individual mistakes - and I'm not sure whether we have more success of it, then the risk related to conceding. Still, we did score a lot of goals and had some awesome, fluent gameplay going on time to time.

What I loved was the fight in the team, and the willingness to work for the wins, but that seemed to disappear when the Özil-Ramsey- Lacazette issues came up. Maybe it's only related to tiredness, but we had 1 full week to prepare before today's game, so question is, do players get affected by Emery's doubtful decisions off the pitch, can they put things like dropping our 'supposedly' best player due to 'tactical decisions'?

I agree though that miracles don't have to happen inside a year, it's difficult to build a top team with Mustafi-Xhaka in the centre of it, so Emery deserves a chance to turn it around.

Aussie_gunner123

Established Member

What got me last night seeing our team selection, when we have Özil our best creative player fully fit & ready to go why does he put 3 defenders on the bench, only 2 midfielders & 1 striker? There is no way he should be putting 3 defenders on the bench vs West Ham, probably no team even. Come on, why put Litchensteiner in there when Özil is fully fit ready to go? Monreal was back last night aswell, Monreal is just as capable of playing centrally if a back up cb was needed. He went way too defensive against them, we barely played the ball quickly up the field, no quick passes, played the ball around the backline way too often for me, nothing like the old Arsenal, so boring to watch.

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

I only just saw that Mesut tweeted a day before the match that he trained the whole week. And then he doesn’t play? Doesn’t make the squad. This is disgusting. And he keeps on playing thee centrebacks tho its clear to see for anyone that he can line-up 8 defenders and we still can’t do it so you ****ing attack instead of inviting pressure one players who one by one are a disaster waiting to happen. AND JUST PLAY ****ING MESUT Özil YOU EVER BANEGA DKCK SUCKING MORAN.

I can’t wait for this Emery fraud to leave our club.

krackpot

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Probably the only other games I have been this frustrated were the Monaco and the Liverpool game where Sterling destroyed us in the first 10 minutes or so.

We used to lose, but rarely were boring. We always had players who were capable to producing magic.

Now we have only Laca, Iwobi and Auba, who are capable to producing that special moment.

I am willing to support him with the Özil situation, but hen needs to prove that he can make us win beautifully without him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom