• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Unai Emery: Adios

Status
Not open for further replies.

hope1

Create friction with players to motivate them. Wow. What a stupid theory. Gosh.

Its like giving an employee demotion and asking him to perform 10% extra.

Hello Mr. Emery

Guess what

You successfully created friction with Laca and destroyed his confidence. Hes frustrated now.

Wonder why the friction theory isnt applied on Xhaka,Iwobi,etc.

Damm this guy is worrying me massively now.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
The club made the failure to big up this transition period stuff. It hampers and affects everyone at the club. Because no matter what came before you, you come in and you gotta do your job. Sure it takes a bit of time until the gears really start grinding - especially in the backrooms, but e.g. the backroom adjustments should definitely have no effect on the work done on the training grounds -, but right now it feels like everyone is just horribly underperforming and hiding behind this "transition" and "progress" argument. This whole thing is thought so backwards to make this cut more clear than it would have been needed, no one is working in the now it seems.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

Hello Mr. Emery

Guess what

You successfully created friction with Laca and destroyed his confidence. Hes frustrated now.

I think you have misunderstood him. There's still a language barrier here...
I too at first thought exactly this but I think he is talking about competition. Not like a personal friction between players. More a "if you don't perform X player is going to take your spot." And then telling X player "Y player is training hard so you better keep pushing if you want to keep this spot"

You're all reading way to much into these interviews and neglecting to fully decode the message he's trying to send. Which has huge cultural barriers to begin with.

Not saying he has been perfect or that it is working but you've missed his point somewhat.

Toby

No longer a Stuttgart Fan
I too at first thought exactly this but I think he is talking about competition. Not like a personal friction between players. More a "if you don't perform X player is going to take your spot." And then telling X player "Y player is training hard so you better keep pushing if you want to keep this spot"

You're all reading way to much into these interviews and neglecting to fully decode the message he's trying to send. Which has huge cultural barriers to begin with.

Not saying he has been perfect or that it is working but you've missed his point somewhat.

I was thinking "well, there you go", too, when I came about that part. But the thing is, creating friction isn't wrong per se. It's an absolutely viable tool to get more out of a player. But that's not the only tool and it's not gonna work with any player, which is what I wanted to highlight when I posted that Heynckes quote on players being "sensitive thoroughbred race horses".

While you certainly can't take this quote as a stick to beat Emery with, I am a bit concerned he's only mentioned creating fricition and has as of yet only really shown friction as a tool - at least publicly - and on top of that only in regards to certain players, while others can seemingly doodle along unaffected.

Furious

Emery Gone, Telly Back On
Put yourself in Emery's position. Özil is extracting £350 k per week and performs inconsistently. What do you do? Plough another £40 million into a player who you can't rely on or fit into you system, or try to get ambitious younger players in to rebuild with? Tough decisions facing Emery with a limited budget.

Shut the **** up both of you. I’m trying to think.

:rofl:

What is going on?

I know people love my posting. But this is a bit too much.

FinnGooner

Established Member
He goes on to say in the next paragraph that he thinks we can do it.

"But firstly, I believe we have time to achieve that this season. And secondly, we knew there were going to be difficulties in this process. The most important thing is to be aware that the difficulties will come, and at that moment still be able to make progress. That is the idea. The idea is to get Arsenal back to where the club deserves to be, but it needs time."

I take it as a contradiction. It's so obvious we wont be playing in the CL next year.

Still, I don't read it as a contradiction. It's just saying that making into top four is challenging but possible.

Nevertheless, I agree that we probably won't make it to top 4 or win EL. For me, it's not necessarily an issue, though, while I would obviously prefer it if we did. Like Emery, I'm much more interested in the level of our performances during the latter part of the season. If we miss out on CL but there are clear indications that our game is improving, I'm not that bothered. If however, we still ship in goals for fun and can't press for **** by the end of the season, I'm worried whether or not we get CL.

Furious.

The one with a period. Fake Furious v1
:rofl:

What is going on?

C-658VsXoAo3ovC.jpg

Makingtrax

Worships in the house of Wenger 🙏
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
This statement kind of goes against what you normally say though.

"But in the last few years it became different. It was a team which always had a great attack, with players who were very good technically, but with a very, very low level of defensive solidity."
I agree with that bro.

When you don’t have an open cheque book like City and United, you have to decide where you’re going to spend what you have. Wenger and Gazidis decided that since 2013, when the stadium debt eased, they’d splash much of what they had on star attackers and spend less on defenders. And so the quality of our defenders have never been up to the quality of Sanchez, Özil, Laca, PEA etc

Tosker

Does Not Hate Foreigners

I read it too as a tactic to get the player thinking 'I'll show you'

Of course if the player doesn't get to play .......

Erlis

Only Came To See Granit Xhaka

Hello Mr. Emery

Guess what

Divide et impera, more like.

MustOezil

I am extremely sad about Emery

To me, his actions speak for what he meant, and those haven't been good. Ostracizing Özil, refusing a contract for Ramsey and leaving Laca frustrated.

carlito'sway

Established Member
The Arsenal dressing room isn't the same as PSG's.

No dressing room is similar to an other, that is is not a surprise. It is beyond my point though. He lost PSG's dressing room and his management of Özil is questionable at best.
He needs to demonstrate he is up to the task of managing a big club, something he has not done well so far.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

Good interview.

Just wonder why he doesn't create friction with any other player?

People you would create friction with are Sokratis , Licht guys like that , they love it makes them sharper . Creative players need calm .

Also you can only create friction with players if they trust you or have faith in your ability .

They don't really know Unai , he needs to be careful .

ptrcopp

People you would create friction with are Sokratis , Licht guys like that , they love it makes them sharper . Creative players need calm .

Also you can only create friction with players if they trust you or have faith in your ability .

They don't really know Unai , he needs to be careful .

Top post.
As well there are other players whose personalities seem to like ‘friction’ - I feel like Iwobi and Mhki would perform better if he was pushed.

On the other hand, you can see what happens with Xhaka when he’s wound up... we’d end up with 10 men every game

Jae

Unfortunately buddy the interview was in Spanish.

Reading between the lines though, to me that was basically a polite way of him saying that some players need a kick up the arse, and he would be correct.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
Unfortunately buddy the interview was in Spanish.

Reading between the lines though, to me that was basically a polite way of him saying that some players need a kick up the arse, and he would be correct.
Regardless, i don't think he meant he is actually creating uncomfortable tension between players that isn't directly related to on the pitch/in training performances.
People are acting like he's gone off to Özil and whispered in his ear "Hector is nailing your misses, buddy. Best get that sh!t in order"

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I am extremely sad about Emery

To me, his actions speak for what he meant, and those haven't been good. Ostracizing Özil, refusing a contract for Ramsey and leaving Laca frustrated.
So you honestly believe that the manager came here with the intention of causing personal feuds between players?
Where does this inane logic come from?

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable
I agree with that bro.

When you don’t have an open cheque book like City and United, you have to decide where you’re going to spend what you have. Wenger and Gazidis decided that since 2013, when the stadium debt eased, they’d splash much of what they had on star attackers and spend less on defenders. And so the quality of our defenders have never been up to the quality of Sanchez, Özil, Laca, PEA etc
Fair enough, I accept that, but your narrative has often been 'we're not sh!t in defense' followed by a whole bunch of meaningless stats which don't take into account the predictable ways in which we do concede.
Not having a go at you. Just pointing out that a fairly respected manager is under the same impression as most of the forum here.. That the defense needs serious work and Wenger neglected it somewhat.

Reactions: Jae
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom