• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Useless International matches

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Why do England always appoint old dinosaurs as managers anyways? Apart from Hoddle (and maybe McClaren,.....although he didn't have a clue full-stop) most managers have either been ancient or baseless gambles on managers who've achieved **** all.

England are not at the German/Spanish level in terms of youth development or current quality, however he has quality players at his disposal and he's using them all wrong. It's clear that Sturridge, Sterling and Barkley (although injured now) have been Englands inform players for 12 months now.... surely the logical solution is play to their strengths and fit others around. Also he's trying to play a passing game without a proper deep midfielder who can keep things tidy, Barry should be at the bottom of midfield alongside either Henderson or Wilshere (possibly both).

England currently aren't world or euro champions material, but they're a lot better than this. Also there's talk that they'll be playing for a draw away to Switzerland? Small time mentality!

Jasard

Forum Issue Troubleshooter

No top manager would touch England to be honest. Career killer

rich 1990

Not A Big Believer In Diversity
Lose in Switzerland and Hodgson goes, i think. He's feeling the strain. Should have walked after the world cup.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Tir Na Nog said:
Why do England always appoint old dinosaurs as managers anyways? Apart from Hoddle (and maybe McClaren,.....although he didn't have a clue full-stop) most managers have either been ancient or baseless gambles on managers who've achieved **** all.

England are not at the German/Spanish level in terms of youth development or current quality, however he has quality players at his disposal and he's using them all wrong. It's clear that Sturridge, Sterling and Barkley (although injured now) have been Englands inform players for 12 months now.... surely the logical solution is play to their strengths and fit others around. Also he's trying to play a passing game without a proper deep midfielder who can keep things tidy, Barry should be at the bottom of midfield alongside either Henderson or Wilshere (possibly both).

England currently aren't world or euro champions material, but they're a lot better than this. Also there's talk that they'll be playing for a draw away to Switzerland? Small time mentality!

Simple answer is, guys like him and McClaren are FA yes men, won't rock the boat too much. I don't think the problem lies with the players, if you shove the German NT into a rigid, flat 4-4-2 any team would struggle to play well.

For me, the players that we have are easily good enough to go deep into a competition. I'm not one to overrate English players but for anyone to say Sturridge, Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain, Wilshere, Stones, Barkley and Chambers aren't top level talents doesn't know football.

The problem lies with the managers, I don't know what's wrong with the English coaching system but there aren't any decent young coaches coming through to the top level. Any English club would gladly hire a top class English manager if they were available. People say that there's no patience and too many managers get sacked too early but Serie A is equally as bad if not worse for sackings and guys like Prandelli and Conte still managed to rise to the top.

Also, the media with it's constant insistence that the manager "has to be English" severely limits the candidates to dinosaurs like Hodgson or Redknapp. Hodgson has spent 30 years of his career managing underdog teams. The man can't handle pressure jobs and is constantly trying to lower expectations in his press conferences by bigging up the opposition, saying the talent isn't there when it clearly is.

For me, there needs to be a serious review of the coaching set-up in the country. Why do ex-pros from England not become managers when guys like Bergkamp or Inzaghi climb up the ladder so rapidly?

The problems would still be there, but I'd cut Hodgson as soon as possible. Martinez or Rodgers would be the best candidates but they aren't moving anytime soon. I'd seriously have a look at Benitez, the guy is a great tactician and is amazing at cup competitions, or Ancelotti when the axe inevitably falls at Real. I think Wenger would be a good shout if Hodgson stays on till after the Euros.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
Rex Banner said:
Tir Na Nog said:

Simple answer is, guys like him and McClaren are FA yes men, won't rock the boat too much. I don't think the problem lies with the players, if you shove the German NT into a rigid, flat 4-4-2 any team would struggle to play well.

For me, the players that we have are easily good enough to go deep into a competition. I'm not one to overrate English players but for anyone to say Sturridge, Sterling, Oxlade Chamberlain, Wilshere, Stones, Barkley and Chambers aren't top level talents doesn't know football.

The problem lies with the managers, I don't know what's wrong with the English coaching system but there aren't any decent young coaches coming through to the top level. Any English club would gladly hire a top class English manager if they were available. People say that there's no patience and too many managers get sacked too early but Serie A is equally as bad if not worse for sackings and guys like Prandelli and Conte still managed to rise to the top.

Also, the media with it's constant insistence that the manager "has to be English" severely limits the candidates to dinosaurs like Hodgson or Redknapp. Hodgson has spent 30 years of his career managing underdog teams. The man can't handle pressure jobs and is constantly trying to lower expectations in his press conferences by bigging up the opposition, saying the talent isn't there when it clearly is.

For me, there needs to be a serious review of the coaching set-up in the country. Why do ex-pros from England not become managers when guys like Bergkamp or Inzaghi climb up the ladder so rapidly?

The problems would still be there, but I'd cut Hodgson as soon as possible. Martinez or Rodgers would be the best candidates but they aren't moving anytime soon. I'd seriously have a look at Benitez, the guy is a great tactician and is amazing at cup competitions, or Ancelotti when the axe inevitably falls at Real. I think Wenger would be a good shout if Hodgson stays on till after the Euros.

England players are clearly a level or 2 levels below the top German and Spanish players. They just aren't good enough, give Pep or Wenger or Mourinho the job and they'd struggle to get out of the group. English managers just aren't the best, the best British managers are Scots.

But still people are hard on the national coach because they can't accept English player are poor due to poor training practises at youth level.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

^The German, Spanish and for me French teams are indeed way ahead of the English one, but I'm not saying England should be winning World Cups, they should be at least competitive in matches which under Hodgson they haven't been.

In the World Cup apart from the first half against Italy were the threats of Welbeck, Sturridge and Sterling used properly? There wasn't a game plan for England at all, a proper manager would at least give the team some purpose and identity. Players like Wilshere alongside Sterling, Sturrige and the Ox should be deadly on the counter attack, they should be playing really thrilling football, and yet it's just the same insipid rubbish tournament after tournament.

Proof

Established Member
Diego Costa: Chelsea striker out of Spain Euro 2016 qualifier

A Spanish football federation statement read: "Diego Costa has a myofascial injury to his hamstring muscle in his left thigh. The injury was detected with an MRI scan after the player expressed some discomfort during yesterday's match against France.

"All the tests carried out by the medical staff will be sent to Chelsea."

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29083173" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/29083173</a>

<a class="postlink" href="http://www1.skysports.com/football/news/11095/9457579/chelsea-star-diego-costa-out-of-spain-squad-with-hamstring-injury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www1.skysports.com/football/news ... ing-injury</a>

tap-in

Nothing Wrong With Me
Funny how all these injuries happen to players from top clubs. I see Sturridge is the latest to get injured and pull out, Welbeck will take his place. Costa also has an injury, will be interesting to see how quickly they come back for their club games!

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/sep/05/england-daniel-sturridge-out-switzerland-thigh-injury" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... igh-injury</a>

clockwork orange

Blind faith in "LVG filoshophy"
"It is important to try to win," said 28-year-old striker Rooney.

"But I think not to get beat and give Switzerland the upper hand from the first game is vital."

Words of a visionary. Wish Holland had a captain like that. Same goes for Holland.

Hiddink's wisdom was "Good teams do not 2 matches in a row". Makes one wonder if he hoped for that loss v Italy.

The_Roadrunner

Burned Out
I think after a World Cup year when so many players are still getting back to match fitness FIFA should not have this international break so early after a World Cup year.

The reason the player from top teams are getting injured are because those are the players who had the least time to get back to match fitness (even though Costa and Sturridge were obviously out of the Cup early they still have less time to get match fit than players who werent at the World Cup).

been

Again European football can learn a lot from Rugby Union. They allow player sabbaticals which works out excellently for both sides.

For example Ribery. France are desperate for him to play in the Euros on home soil, however he is older now more injury prone and his body may not handle that many club and international games until 2016. Why not let him take a 6 month break from international duty or longer if necessary. As opposed to him completely retiring from international duty.

Dokaka

AM's resident Hammer
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.emkval.dk/videos/kahlenberg-bringer-danmark-foran/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.emkval.dk/videos/kahlenberg- ... ark-foran/</a>

Great play by Bendtner :D

USArsenal

H.Y.I.C.
i swear, Moutinho must be the biggest piece of sh*t whiner/diver/moaner I have ever seen. Twice now against Albania (i mean, come on), went down like he'd been shot holding part of his body that wasn't even touched.. I really loathe Portugal and pretty much every single player who plays for them. And they really suck without CR...

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐
USArsenal said:
i swear, Moutinho must be the biggest piece of sh*t whiner/diver/moaner I have ever seen. Twice now against Albania (i mean, come on), went down like he'd been shot holding part of his body that wasn't even touched.. I really loathe Portugal and pretty much every single player who plays for them. And they really suck without CR...

They really suck with him!

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Muller 2-1.

Scots impressive though. They've looked on an upward curve for some time now.

Top Bottom