• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Víctor Valdés

Soler

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.football365.com/news/transfer_gossip/index.shtml" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.football365.com/news/transfe ... ndex.shtml</a>

"Arsenal have reportedly offered Barcelona goalkeeper Victor Valdes a five-year contract worth £1.7m a season"

I'd take that.

Olofski

Valdez would be really stupid to leave Barca now when it seems that they´ve finally climbed out of the black hole and can compete with Real and Valencia again. Just like Henry won´t leave Gunners for Real cause here he will be apart of a team built from the "bottom"(sorry can´t find the word I´m looking for, Gunners was never bottom but you´ll understand what I mean).

AFCG7

Established Member
COnsidering Wenger has already put Lehmann in the number one position i dont think we'll be signing anyone for that kind of money..besides while Valdez is a good shot stopper his technique in the air is appalling, and he wont be as good in the EPL

leo_ense

Established Member
Victor Valdés

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130310/fc-barcelona/henry-trabaja-para-llevar-a-valdes-al-arsenal_54368224881.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.mundodeportivo.com/20130310/ ... 24881.html</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Mundo reporting that Thierry is trying to convince Valdés to join Arsenal, and that the opportunity to play under Arsène, live in London and play alongside our growing Spanish contingent is one which excites him. It also states that we will try for Villa again in the summer.

Moderator Action: Threads merged.

Pea-Tear-Griffin

Re: Victor Valdés

Much better keepers available for much less, and lower wages.
We would be worse off than before as set pieces are not his strong point.
Many other BPL keepers better suited to us e.g. Begovic and Mignolet.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

Never been a big fan of his, good shot stopper but always had an error or two in him, only thing is hes at the right age to play for a few years until Shezzy matures.

I reckon he'd get thrown around like a rag doll in the PL aswell, Stoke would have a field day.

leo_ense

Established Member

Taylor Gang Gunners said:
He's not even that good. Szczesny will be better. I'd rather Begovic or Handanovic.

:lol: Based on what? Szczesny has a long way to go before he is even worth comparing to Valdés. This is a player who has won the Zamora award on a number of occasions, and has won everything else in club football multiple times. Szczesny makes a mistake every game and he has lost his national team place to ****ing Boruc, so until he sorts out the immediate problems your comment is quite ridiculous. I'd agree that Begovic and Handanovic are great keepers too.

say yes

forum master baiter

Valdes is the most overrated* goalkeeper in world football. Seems to drop a clanger almost every Barca game I watch. He's a massive dickhead too. Almunia would have won the Zamora award if he was playing in that Barca team.

Pea-Tear-Griffin

leo_ense said:
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
He's not even that good. Szczesny will be better. I'd rather Begovic or Handanovic.

:lol: Based on what? Szczesny has a long way to go before he is even worth comparing to Valdés. This is a player who has won the Zamora award on a number of occasions, and has won everything else in club football multiple times. Szczesny makes a mistake every game and he has lost his national team place to ******* Boruc, so until he sorts out the immediate problems your comment is quite ridiculous. I'd agree that Begovic and Handanovic are great keepers too.

Of course he wins the Zamora as they have so much possession, meaning he is put under so little pressure.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/2012/05/12/3098788/valdes-wins-zamora-trophy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.goal.com/en/news/12/spain/20 ... ora-trophy</a>

A number of better keepers in La Liga and if they were at Barca they would be classed as better.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member

To be fair Leo, I could have stood in goal for that Barca team and I would've even won major trophies.
And on the Zamora award, I'd never heard of it til you mentioned it there, had a quick look on past winners and noticed Valdez has won it 5 times whereas Casillas has only won it once, can't take it very seriously.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless

Not a huge Valdez fan but he is good with the ball at his feet and has top distribution. We need a goalkeeper who doesn't give the ball away all the time.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐

say yes said:
Valdes is the most overrated* goalkeeper in world football. Seems to drop a clanger almost every Barca game I watch. He's a massive ******** too. Almunia would have won the Zamora award if he was playing in that Barca team.

Funny, I'd say it's the exact opposite. How's he overrated when virtually everyone thinks he's ****?

Some of you guys have pretty selective memories I'd say, he was Barca's best player in the CL final 2006. He'd be a pretty big step-up from Szczesny, it's not even close, but I think there are more pressing matters at the moment.

Loken

For the rumoured fee of £8m, I'd take him.

As many have said, his distribution is first-rate and that is one of Chezza's weakest points. In an attacking side like our own, which seems to be doing a lot of counter-attacking, that'd be hugely beneficial.

Yeah his set-piece control is not great, and his organisation of the backline isn't inspirational either - but we're hardly experts in that department and besides... he's won EVERYTHING. We could use that sort of experience and our defence can finally rely on someone to take charge and makes saves in 1-on-1s.

But a physical presence such as Mignolet or Begovic would be much better against teams like Sunderland, Stoke, Wigan or West Ham. It really depends on our style next season.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

You've just gotta love Thierry, his next mission should be to bring Cesc back.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Is he still defoleaving then? Not many top teams looking for a GK, ourselves, maybe Liverpool, who else? Chelsea have Courtois in the wings, Mancini has been having digs at Hart but I can't see him getting benched at City.

Can't see Valdes moving to Italy.

leo_ense

Established Member

GDeep said:
Is he still defoleaving then? Not many top teams looking for a GK, ourselves, maybe Liverpool, who else? Chelsea have Courtois in the wings, Mancini has been having digs at Hart but I can't see him getting benched at City.

Can't see Valdes moving to Italy.

If Valdés is available this summer it will be Arsenal and PSG as front runners. Looking at the other top clubs, Chelsea have arguably the best GK pair around, can't see him at City, no chance for real, Juve and Bayern are settled which leaves us and PSG. I'm hoping the opportunity to play in the PL with our Spanish group will have him interested.

Arsenal Quotes

Ian Wright was the incredible striker for whom those around him sometimes found hard to control especially the opponents. He was an extrovert, hyperactive, and had endured an extremely hard life. His playing style was instinctive, and he had that killer instinct, a player like no other.

Arsène Wenger: My Life in Red and White
Top Bottom