• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Víctor Valdés

Clrnc

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Player:Tomiyasu
Re: Victor Valdés

One of the poorest shot stoppers I ever seen play for a big club. Rubbish goalkeeper.

Just get Begovic and get done with.

dpt49

Established Member

What is Wenger's obsession with players outside of the PL.
Begovic is just as good and needs no adjustment in this league.
Players from the PL might cost a bit more but you know what you are getting.

eye4goal

Established Member

truth_hurts said:
Not a huge Valdez fan but he is good with the ball at his feet and has top distribution. We need a goalkeeper who doesn't give the ball away all the time.

I'd like a technically gifted keeper too, but they all tend to lack presence like Valdez and De Gea. Begovic is a better version of Szczesney, but I don't think he'd bring great distribution or play sweeper that well. Mignolet is better rounded I feel

Proof

Established Member

Absolutely not! Valdes is the bald Almunia. We shouldn't even consider bringing this clown at Arsenal unless he wants to polish our bench.

mo50

Established Member

I can't believe this guy has lasted at Barca for so long. IMO he's a joke of a keeper and hopefully we don't go anywhere near him.

tbf to him, his distribution is top class, something Szczesny could learn about.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

Love him or hate him, Valdes was one of main reasons we didn't win CL in that horrible night in Paris on 2006.

His two saves on Henry in first few minutes, and his save on Henry's one-on-one again in second half while still one up was heartbreaking.

:(

Proof

Established Member

albakos said:
His two saves on Henry in first few minutes, and his save on Henry's one-on-one again in second half while still one up was heartbreaking.
Unfortunately Henry was one of the main reasons we didn't win that final. The first save and the 1v1 situation were not fabulous reflexes. Henry bottled it big time on the biggest stage in football.

iced22

He gets far more stick than he deserves. I mean, what is this? Crap shot stopper, drops a clanger every other game, and whatever bile he's getting. What the hell? Have people decided that his performances this season represent his entire body of work in his career?

Yes, there's better keepers, but Valdes is far from ****.

leo_ense

Established Member

Proof said:
Absolutely not! Valdes is the bald Almunia. We shouldn't even consider bringing this clown at Arsenal unless he wants to polish our bench.

Is that right? Tell me in which way is Szczesny a better keeper? Valdés is better in reflexes, distribution, footwork, handling, concentration, experience, shot stopping and leadership. The fact that people think he is a poor keeper tell me they've seen him play a grand total of 2 games where he may have made a mistake or conceded a poor goal.

say yes

forum master baiter

Nah Valdez is ****. Haven't watched that much of Barca this season but last season where I watched them a fair bit he made as many gaffes as a peak almunia. Hell you'd just need to watch both of our emirates games against Barca to realise he's a bit of a clown.

@Jones: heh yeah I was actually gonna say that overrated was a lazy choice of word (thus the asterisk) given that most football fans realise he's ****, but never got round to it.

Taylor Gang Gunners

Say Yeh or You're Making The List
Trusted ⭐

leo_ense said:
Taylor Gang Gunners said:
He's not even that good. Szczesny will be better. I'd rather Begovic or Handanovic.

:lol: Based on what? Szczesny has a long way to go before he is even worth comparing to Valdés. This is a player who has won the Zamora award on a number of occasions, and has won everything else in club football multiple times. Szczesny makes a mistake every game and he has lost his national team place to ******* Boruc, so until he sorts out the immediate problems your comment is quite ridiculous. I'd agree that Begovic and Handanovic are great keepers too.

Based on what? How about ability and potential mate. It's all well and good pointing out the fact that Szczesny makes mistakes (as most young 'keepers do), but you know he's won us games also. Immediately I think of Udinese away and Sunderland away a few weeks ago. He's a confident young player with a good frame and is capable of amazing instinctive saves. His decision making and distribution could be better, and it'll improve as he matures as a player. He's still only 23 which is EXTREMELY young for a goalie. Now, you're a Barca fan, what was Valdes like at 23? No mistakes at all I'm guessing?

Re Szczesny's place in the national team: Boruc is actually a very good keeper, he had a few outstanding years at Celtic but fell into a rough patch. He's back in form now down at S'ton and is significantly more experienced than Szczesny, doesn't concern me much that he's Poland's no. 1 atm. How often does Valdes play for Spain? :roll:

Re Valdes' achievements: Seriously couldn't care less about what he's won :lol:. It's annoying when people bring up a players' achievements as justification for his ability, if anything is ridiculous it's that logic! Djimi Traoré has a CL medal, and quite frankly he's dogshite.

Bigbludfire

Established Member

At the end of the day he gets caught out mainly because Barcelona want him to play the ball on the ground, not just because people think he's a bad shot stopper.

That being said he's a complete ****, and I don't want him. Talented no doubt and better than Wojech

Sydney Gooner

Established Member

Why don't we get Timo Hildebrand? That guy would be a brilliant backup for Szczesny. His contract expires next season as well so he would be quite cheap.

FinnGooner

Established Member

Worried about set pieces as well but Valdes is brilliant with his feet, though! He would also be the right age for the job.

I get the concerns over Valdes but, seriously, all these "he's s**t" comments... :roll:

GDeep™

League is very weak

Iv heard 8M being mentioned, can you go wrong at that price? A 31/32 year old alongside Chez? I'm coming around to it.

I can't believe he still wants to leave? Why do you want to leave Barca? Money? No chance he will eventually stay? Mind boggling this is.

leo_ense

Established Member

GDeep said:
Iv heard 8M being mentioned, can you go wrong at that price? A 31/32 year old alongside Chez? I'm coming around to it.

I can't believe he still wants to leave? Why do you want to leave Barca? Money? No chance he will eventually stay? Mind boggling this is.

He's said he wants a new challenge, and the way he told the club he wouldn't sign on and released a statement to the press the same day was RVP esque. It's not about money because he was holding out for a big pay rise and he got that in his last contract, I have the feeling he wants to leave to energise his career. He's won everything there is to win and has played in the best club side of the past 30 years, a new league and new team probably seems like a good idea to him at this point. Definitely think we are interested in him and at €10m we would be absolutely stupid not to bid.

outlaw_member

Established Member

iced22 said:
He gets far more stick than he deserves. I mean, what is this? Crap shot stopper, drops a clanger every other game, and whatever bile he's getting. What the hell? Have people decided that his performances this season represent his entire body of work in his career?

Yes, there's better keepers, but Valdes is far from ****.

Well, there has to be one **** player in that Barcelona team for people to direct their nonsense at.

Latest posts

Top Bottom