VAR. Is it the answer? Thoughts?

Discussion in 'Football Talk' started by razörist, Sep 16, 2016.

?

Are you for VAR or not?

1. Yes

80.0%
  2. No

20.0%
  1. Brown Gooner

Brown Gooner DoN'T ceNsOR maH FreE SpEecH

VAR is far from perfect bit a major portion of he blame for it causing problems must go to the seriously incompetent referees, who despite seeing the video footage DO NOT objectively apply the laws of the game and still try to apply their own interpretation if the rules.

The most blatant example I can think of is the 2017 Confederations Cup final - Chile vs Germany.

Jara blatantly elbows Werner in the face and it is clearly intentional. Should’ve been a straight red after seeing the replay but the incompetent referee is too weak to apply the laws of the game objectively and instead shows a yellow. After that the next 30 minutes Chile feel like they can get away with all sorts of fouls, diving, etc. by the 90th minute the game has already blown out of hand with a brawl between Kimmich and Bravo.

Moral of the story. In the above instance VAR was not at fault but the guy applying was a useless ****. The system will get better with more udae but it is the inept referees who are the problem and they need to be taken care of first.

As for why I personally favour VAR?
    As long as VAR can help in the following instances:
    1. Not allowing Offside Goals
    2. Blatant dives to earn penalties or get opposition players sent off (Neymar might quit football if this comes go fruition)
    3. Correct red cards for obvious red card challenges (the Jara instance above or when Alli tried to break De bruyne’s Leg)
    4. Booking the correct player. Sometimes the incompetent referees goof up and give yellow cards to the wrong player.
    5. Correcting Corners and throw in decisions. While it may look as if an incorrectly given corner or throw in might not be a big deal. These throw ins and corners can lead to goals. Case in point: In the 2010 WC final the Spanish goal kick from which Iniesta scored the winner should have been a Dutch corner. Howard Webb and his stupid linesmen incorrectly gave Spain the goal kick and the rest is history.

Those are the five things I would love the VAR to fix.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2018
    Mark Tobias and sexpanther like this.
  2. Penn_

Penn_ Well-Known Member

Watching some of the calls made with it recently I think there definitely needs to be some sort of challenge system, although I can’t see the governing bodies allowing it.

Offsides seem particularly unfair for close calls. Leicester managed to score before it was pulled back for offside before then being given the goal through VAR. How far do refs/ linesman let potential offsides play out?

3. IslingtonBornandbred

IslingtonBornandbred Well-Known Member

I'll stick to my guns and say I'm still not a fan of it, especially in its current format. I understand the desire for a challenge system because it reduces it's involvement but what if a team has two challenges, and there are three big errors. I'm personally happy to stick with goal line tech and extra officials behind the goal. I think it causes mayhem, disrupts the flow, and last night wasn't a very good showing of it in terms of how it affects the game.

On offsides, the instructions to the officials are to make decisions as if VAR doesn't exist. So, if you think it's offside, put your flag up, unless it happens quickly and the player is about to put it in the net. So on the Leicester one, the flag went up, but the player scored before the ref blew the whistle so it could be reviewed. The goal was then given. Now, this changes when the play happens further out...so a player could be played through on goal, the flag goes up, the ref blows the whistle, and a free-kick is given to the defending team. There is no way to review this so it's just goes down as an error as normal.

4. Mark Tobias

Mark Tobias Mmhmm yes, I agree

Mafia much?

Brown Gooner likes this.
  5. Ewarwoowar

Ewarwoowar Well-Known Member

There should be a third vote, 'not sure', because for as long as diving is in the grey area, do they allow it or not, teams are going to be affected by different ref interpretation. I hate diving with a passion, but I would rather the relevant associations be open and forthright on their stance about it, it either is or ain't, otherwise different modus in different matches might just look like match fixing.

6. krengon

krengon One Arsene Wenger Trusted

[​IMG]

Var still needs a lot of work.. What kind of lines are these lol.

Jury, Aevius and IslingtonBornandbred like this.
  7. IslingtonBornandbred

LOL.

The hairs on Mata's knee were offside. Another "clear and obvious" VAR decision.

8. say yes

say yes Respect Me

Those clearly aren’t the lines they used and it was clarified as such.

Ridiculous scaremongering by BT sport (whose coverage of the entire incident was pathetic) and sensationalist twitter accounts.

It was 100% offside and VAR got the decision correct. No ifs no buts.

The problem (which is a big one) is that it took too long. Speed is what the system needs, the decision was spot on (again).

American_Gooner and krengon like this.
  9. Jury

Jury Mission Accomplished

Regarding 'challenges' which I'm an advocate of, if you start with, say, three challenges and you get a challenge wrong, you lose one. If you're correct, you keep them.

To get the VAR working as efficiently as it can is going to take a lot of time and a lot of trial and error. The focus on the goal, which is eradicating false results, shouldn't be lost. It will take diligence.

krengon likes this.
  10. say yes

say yes Respect Me

Jake Humphrey seems like a complete and utter scrote btw.

Comfortably my least favourite person in sports broadcasting. Makes my skin crawl watching him.

The **** can’t BT sport just get their act together and hire some decent pundits? Lineker for the CL was a real coup, but this wanker just ruins all their domestic coverage for me.

11. Jury

Im pretty sure the 18 yard line, if it joined all the way to the nearside touchline, should be the true offside border.... Or am I wrong? If Im right, they've fvcked that right up. Infact, they should be drawing the line parallel with the lawn mower lines ffs, and it goes askew right where it shouldnt :lol:

12. Jury

Claire Balding would do a better job ffs.

13. Penn_

Penn_ Well-Known Member

Don’t agree that it should be given as offside, there’s no advantage gained.

Although it’s funny how I remember almost everyone in media stating that you can’t moan at the ref for giving a correct decesion when it was Lacazette on the receiving end. But when it happens to Utd suddenly it’s wrong. :lol:

IslingtonBornandbred likes this.
  14. freeglennhelder2

freeglennhelder2 Well-Known Member

Make it for big injustices only - eg: clear offside travesties, dives, obvious handballs.

Use a big panel of referees that come to a speedy descision. For example each can take a maximum of 6 seconds to come to a conclusion. Take the majority descision. The aim is speed here.

Leave the tight descisions that could go either way alone.

Easy.

IslingtonBornandbred likes this.
  15. Jasard

Jasard #PlayAMNInMidfield

Lmao the lines are just in random angles. Feels like the are intentionally making VAR **** so we don't get it.

16. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

Humphrey is a Guillem BallaGOAT, thinks he's a comedian.

VAR can only be good but it needs to be implemented correctly. That means doing it swiftly, and making sure the right decisions are being made. If it can be done swiftly and efficiently, I don't see why VAR shouldn't be able to improve offside decisons, penalties/dives, and red card decisions.

say yes likes this.
  17. IslingtonBornandbred

I don't think it's BT's fault. The VAR HQ sent them the pictures of the squiggly lines so they are allowed to highlight what a joke that was. Nobody knows what lines the VAR used, if any. It took an additional 8 minutes for the VAR HQ to sent BT straight lines.

I take a look at at a couple of referee forums every now and then because I did some refereeing when I was younger and they are pissed off because they think the linesman made a good call. Everything they are taught suggests that is level and to keep the flag down. If VAR is going to redefine offside by analysing things down to a toe, knee, slight lean of the shoulder then the law probably has to be looked at because those small margins are typically taught as "level" and onside without VAR. Basically, if that freeze frame is shown on a refereeing course, it will be taught as "level" and onside, so if VAR is going to call that as offside, firstly they need a much better scientific method to determine that and secondly, they need to take a look at the offside law again.

The ref's on the forum also made a very good point. This offside is so close, the clarification of offside judged the moment the ball hits the foot instead of the moment the ball leaves the foot might come into play. So broadcast video is 30 frames per second? Time from one frame to the next is 0.033 seconds. The dwell time of a ball on the foot is only 0.01 seconds, so odds are that one is before and the next one is after. During that frame , a player and or his leg can move 30 feet per second, or about a foot per frame! So to look at frame by frame for the “right” frame to judge offside when the offside line and player in offside position are moving towards each other is utter fiction. Anything within 6-12 inches is too close to call.

18. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

They should have gone for Mark Chapman instead of him.

say yes likes this.
  19. CurryFlavoured

CurryFlavoured Well-Known Member

No love for Adrian 'is that his face or his arse' Chiles?

American_Gooner likes this.
  20. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Haven't seen Chiles in ages, wonder what he's up to these days.