• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Victor Osimhen

Dutch D

Well-Known Member & FPL Champion 19/20
So you want to extend Laca and try to get Jesus as the starting striker next summer?

You do know we need two good strikers next season?
Surely there are more options than a guy who costs €100m to get a second striker?

Just a few names that come up are Gouiri, Schick, Scamacca, Broja. Admittedly, none of them are ideal, but Osimhen doesn't seem to be either.

StefanB

He's in the right company.

FH2jU3dWUAE-JZ3

Looking very good that. Like I said, my only issue with Osimhen is his fitness levels. Has been injured quite a lot in his short career, and has yet to play over 40 club games in a single season.

He has everything you want in a striker though. Strong, tall, technically astute (capable of something special), very fast and a good striker of the ball. On top of all of this he's a hardworker and he's very good at pressing.

drippin

Obsessed with "Mature Trusted Members"

Surely there are more options than a guy who costs €100m to get a second striker?

Just a few names that come up are Gouiri, Schick, Scamacca, Broja. Admittedly, none of them are ideal, but Osimhen doesn't seem to be either.
That's what I asked if you read what I said. I asked, who do you want?

No Gouiri rumours, because he has been rumoured to PSG for example.

Schick has been said to be forced to stay at Leverkusen because he is important to them and has 3 years in contract. Also looks like Leverkusen will reach UCL for next season.

Chelsea won't sell Broja to us, and he has 4 years in contract.

So you're left with Scamacca. He has a point per 143 minutes so almost equal to Abraham, and he extended his contract until 2026 two weeks ago. So won't be cheap. Between these two I think I'd prefer Abraham, because he knows England so is not so risky.

Between Abraham and Osimhen, I prefer Osimhen, even if he is like 20% more expensive. And I wanted Abraham in the summer when he was cheaper, but that was not easy for us because of Chelsea.

Dutch D

That's what I asked if you read what I said. I asked, who do you want?

No Gouiri rumours, because he has been rumoured to PSG for example.

Schick has been said to be forced to stay at Leverkusen because he is important to them and has 3 years in contract. Also looks like Leverkusen will reach UCL for next season.

Chelsea won't sell Broja to us, and he has 4 years in contract.

So you're left with Scamacca. He has a point per 143 minutes so almost equal to Abraham, and he extended his contract until 2026 two weeks ago. So won't be cheap. Between these two I think I'd prefer Abraham, because he knows England so is not so risky.

Between Abraham and Osimhen, I prefer Osimhen, even if he is like 20% more expensive. And I wanted Abraham in the summer when he was cheaper, but that was not easy for us because of Chelsea.
I read what you said and tried to reply constructively, I don't get the hostile opening sentence.

It's not that I don't like Osimhen, I don't know him well enough, but for €100m I would expect more than I'm seeing in highlight videos. His technique looks rather erratic, quite like Nunez. €100m should buy you proper world class, which I'm not seeing with Osimhen. Even if Nunez is similar in profile and probably also ridiculously expensive, €75m is still a huge difference. €25m allows you to fill up one more significant hole we have in the squad. It would suck to pay more than City is paying for Haaland to get a significantly worse player.

I don't know about all those rumours you mention, you say it like they're definitely unattainable, but I can't judge that. I'm just mentioning some players I like. To me it seems more reasonable to expect any of those names to be attainable than Osimhen. I'd also rather have Gouiri at 30-40m alongside Jesus, than Abraham at €80m, or Osimhen at €100m.

drippin

I read what you said and tried to reply constructively, I don't get the hostile opening sentence.

It's not that I don't like Osimhen, I don't know him well enough, but for €100m I would expect more than I'm seeing in highlight videos. His technique looks rather erratic, quite like Nunez. €100m should buy you proper world class, which I'm not seeing with Osimhen. Even if Nunez is similar in profile and probably also ridiculously expensive, €75m is still a huge difference. €25m allows you to fill up one more significant hole we have in the squad. It would suck to pay more than City is paying for Haaland to get a significantly worse player.

I don't know about all those rumours you mention, you say it like they're definitely unattainable, but I can't judge that. I'm just mentioning some players I like. To me it seems more reasonable to expect any of those names to be attainable than Osimhen. I'd also rather have Gouiri at 30-40m alongside Jesus, than Abraham at €80m, or Osimhen at €100m.
I thought you didn't read, because you suggested that I suggested that it was the only option, when I didn't. I asked who did he want so I don't understand why you put it like I think there are no options.

So understandably I saw your reply to me as hostile. I even asked if he thought Nunez or Isak is worth 75 million euros if Osimhen isn't 100 million euros.

I have been for Gouiri for a long time, but have lost hope because we can't compete with PSG and such for his signature, especially as he is French. Same with Haaland, it makes no sense at all to compare to a guy who won't come here and has a release clause.

Similar as why it made not much sense to cry over United getting Varane for cheaper fee (not wages) than us getting White. Gouiri is out of the question totally unless there comes some rumours of him to us, which I think won't, because he is sought after with 2 years in contract.

I don't think 25 million euros more is something we need to think too much about if it's the starting striker they want. It's not good place to start making budget decisions, as the position is so important and we don't have a single striker in the summer.

Nunez plays in a worse league, and for me Osimhen is a bit better player. This season Osimhen against Vlahovic is a point per 107 minutes vs. Vlahovic a point per 97 minutes. This is very good from both.

But I'm fine with Nunez too like I have earlier said. Looks a good prospect, but Osimhen having his third good season (apart from freak injuries) in his second top 5 league now with a very good trajectory makes him look like the more sure bet to succeed here.

Also I think Osimhen is likely the better target man.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
I thought you didn't read, because you suggested that I suggested that it was the only option, when I didn't. I asked who did he want so I don't understand why you put it like I think there are no options.

So understandably I saw your reply to me as hostile. I even asked if he thought Nunez or Isak is worth 75 million euros if Osimhen isn't 100 million euros.

I have been for Gouiri for a long time, but have lost hope because we can't compete with PSG and such for his signature, especially as he is French. Same with Haaland, it makes no sense at all to compare to a guy who won't come here and has a release clause.

Similar as why it made not much sense to cry over United getting Varane for cheaper fee (not wages) than us getting White. Gouiri is out of the question totally unless there comes some rumours of him to us, which I think won't, because he is sought after with 2 years in contract.

I don't think 25 million euros more is something we need to think too much about if it's the starting striker they want. It's not good place to start making budget decisions, as the position is so important and we don't have a single striker in the summer.

Nunez plays in a worse league, and for me Osimhen is a bit better player. This season Osimhen against Vlahovic is a point per 107 minutes vs. Vlahovic a point per 97 minutes. This is very good from both.

But I'm fine with Nunez too like I have earlier said. Looks a good prospect, but Osimhen having his third good season (apart from freak injuries) in his second top 5 league now with a very good trajectory makes him look like the more sure bet to succeed here.

See the Nunez, Vlahovic and Haaland types are monster centre forwards physically. 6 ft 4, strong, fast, and have banging shots.

They also thrive in space and leagues where centre backs cannot match them physically. They have significant weaknesses that people choose to ignore due to the hype that surrounds them. I was pro Vlahovic, but I wasn't blind. He wasn't that good at holding the ball up, he isn't a good dribbler in tight spaces and he isn't that creative either. It's also funny that even with being 6 ft plus. They are not actually good in the air.

Osimhen is like DCL when it comes to hanging in the air and powering headers him. He scores headers he has no right to. Vlahovic, Haaland and Nunez will score the unmarked 6 yards out headers they should score, the same for Isak.

None of them are technical strikers with a sure touch, but Osimhen is easily the best back to goal.

From a squad building perspective, we cannot afford to go for him. Napoli would waste our whole window. We have too much to do

drippin

See the Nunez, Vlahovic and Haaland types are monster centre forwards physically. 6 ft 4, strong, fast, and have banging shots.

They also thrive in space and leagues where centre backs cannot match them physically. They have significant weaknesses that people choose to ignore due to the hype that surrounds them. I was pro Vlahovic, but I wasn't blind. He wasn't that good at holding the ball up, he isn't a good dribbler in tight spaces and he isn't that creative either. It's also funny that even with being 6 ft plus. They are not actually good in the air.

Osimhen is like DCL when it comes to hanging in the air and powering headers him. He scores headers he has no right to. Vlahovic, Haaland and Nunez will score the unmarked 6 yards out headers they should score, the same for Isak.

None of them are technical strikers with a sure touch, but Osimhen is easily the best back to goal.

From a squad building perspective, we cannot afford to go for him. Napoli would waste our whole window. We have too much to do
Well said. That's why I said he seems to be a better target man. So basically like you compare here, he is upgraded DCL with better points per minute, who doesn't have leg injury-proneness and is younger. I think the other striker being a target man is important for Arteta.

They were ready to spend 80 million for Vlahovic in the January window, and we need a top striker. So I disagree that we can't afford to go for him.

We will get a lot of money from sales, we didn't use money in January, we get rid of Auba contract totally in the summer. And now we get at least UEL, and maybe UCL money.

We also need like Osimhen? ST, Jesus RW/ST, 1 or 2 CMF's (but Xhaka I think stays so that takes one needed addition out), and likely LB & RB.

That's like 150 million euros for the attackers (but we get ~30 million from Pepe), two CMF's in this market would likely be like 70 million euros. Then the LB & RB would be possibly 40 million euros.

That's 260 million euros. It seems too much even with all that money from different sales etc. I'm not sure how much they could fetch us, but I think it's like 80 million with Pepe included. Torreira, Bellerin, Leno, Guendouzi, Mavropanos, AMN if I don't forget someone.

After those sales we would need 180 million euros to spend. We spent about 140 million euros after sales, a year ago with no UEL money.

So it's not impossible in my opinion.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

100 million & this joker hasn't even broken the 15-goal barrier in the painfully inferior Serie A?!!
I didn’t even realise this, no way please.

We aren’t a team that’s going to take an attacking player to new heights. If they’re coming from an inferior league they need to be a 20+ guy at least unless there are some strong mitigating circumstances.

Sapient Hawk

Can You Smell What The Hawk Is Cooking?
Trusted ⭐

We aren’t a team that’s going to take an attacking player to new heights. If they’re coming from an inferior league they need to be a 20+ guy at least

We've already been rinsed by Lille for Pepe (which by the way is where Napoli bought Osimehn from).

By the way, I include Johnathon David in this as well.

His crying face pricks at my urge to do violence, but I concede we must do everything in our power to get Gabriel Jesus. He at least has all the attributes & is PL proven.

Juan Matas Beard

Pronouns: dat, guy 🫶
Trusted ⭐

This guy is genuinely worth the 70M+ fee. One of the most talented forwards in the world, so complete with his pace, aerial ability, hold-up, workrate and natural finisher too. Has that Ronaldo leap with his headers as well.

Dutch D

I generally try to be constructive, especially if I join another conversation, but it's all good.
Let's see. I haven't followed the rumours, but I agree we probably lose out if PSG is actually in the race.

Maybe not. If it's the difference between getting your absolute first choice and a rather more disappointing second choice you pay the difference, don't know if there's that much difference between the two, but it was just an illustration, given how much we have to do this summer as you say further on as well. Perhaps we can afford it, then go for it.

Out of the three, Osimhen is probably the best option if you disregard price. I'm not the best person to make that assessment as I only have seen Nunez for the full 90 minutes several times this season in the CL (Ajax, Liverpool, PSV, so 4-6 games). The others I have to rely on YouTube. Where Osimhen seems to have obvious strengths, but also erratic technique as I mentioned.

I was positively surprised by the recruitment last summer, so if they end up going for Osimhen, I obviously would back him. Think I still prefer Schick (if available) or break the bank for Gnabry.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
This guy is genuinely worth the 70M+ fee. One of the most talented forwards in the world, so complete with his pace, aerial ability, hold-up, workrate and natural finisher too. Has that Ronaldo leap with his headers as well.
I’d tend to agree if he wasn’t so injury prone. If he didn’t have these problems he would be the top of my wish list.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
But Arsenal aren’t really a crossing team (well at least at head height). We mostly attempt low crosses and cutbacks but that’s it.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
Majority of Osimhen’s injuries since turning pro have come from a recurring shoulder injury and a fractured cheekbone. The rest are common injuries you’d expect from a bustling CF. I wouldn’t necessarily call him injury-prone but more unlucky.

Xanth

We aren’t a team that’s going to take an attacking player to new heights. If they’re coming from an inferior league they need to be a 20+ guy at least unless there are some strong mitigating circumstances.

He has been scoring at a rate of 0.6 goals per game in Napoli. That easily gets you over 20 goals when extrapolated over a full season. He made only 17 starts last season and 21 this season so that’s why his goals tally looks relatively underwhelming.

As the graph posted here shows, the fact that he’s both a shot monster and also someone who takes high-quality shots puts him in an elite bracket of forwards and is especially an invaluable attribute to have in our attack where we get into dangerous positions but cannot find a reliable outlet for the final pass.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Another aspect which is really good about Osihmen is that he drifts to the right and not the left. He is the number 1 pick for me. I reckon he scores 2 of the shots Eddie took vs West Ham as he has the strength and power to take it closer to goal.

Top Bottom