• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Victor Wanyama

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Not too keen on Arteta and or Ramsey starting every match tbh.

They have grown into the role but there is an essence of makeshift about it and I ain't feeling it. Particularly in Arteta's case, consistent and one of our better players no doubt, but when he caught my eye- it was in CM. Better opposition, it shows and he leaves a lot to be desired.

Ramsey was born to play CM but should not be starting every match right now- simple as.

I would welcome Wanyama with open arms. Pisses on the Goulanons & Capoues we've been linked to, would only take Fellaini over him right now.

error_prone

psycho said:
Not too keen on Arteta and or Ramsey starting every match tbh.

They have grown into the role but there is an essence of makeshift about it and I ain't feeling it. Particularly in Arteta's case, consistent and one of our better players no doubt, but when he caught my eye- it was in CM. Better opposition, it shows and he leaves a lot to be desired.

Ramsey was born to play CM but should not be starting every match right now- simple as.

I would welcome Wanyama with open arms. Pisses on the Goulanons & Capoues we've been linked to, would only take Fellaini over him right now.
Arteta looked very poor in big matches, I tell to my friends all the time how good this guy is and when we watch some big match together he embarrass me :D.
Maybe someone like this guy would be better because he was great in CL against top teams, he can bully playmakers and annoy them (he did great job on Iniesta, sometimes it was funny to watch) and Arteta can't.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
dpt49 said:
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
dpt49 said:
I just hope that Wenger has learned that buying players that look good in vastly inferior leagues hasn't worked.
Fellaini is a no risk, ready to go, quality international player, who has played most of his football at the highest level.

Wanyama plays for Celtic, in possibly the weakest league in Europe.
Even Giroud, Chamakh and Gervinho would look like world beaters against the likes of Ross County and Kilmarnock.

Would they look like world beaters against Barce?
I saw most of the Celtic games in the CL and Wanyama was their stand out player.
But if I had the money and could choose between a player that was proven in the PL or any top league and a player that had played most of his football in the SPL, and a few decent games in the CL, I would have to go for the the proven player, at the highest level.

We have taken too many punts on players from inferior leagues, because the player looks good against inferior opposition.
This policy simply hasn't worked and now we have the money, we should look to buying proven quality at the highest level.

Saying all that, I can see us buying Wanyama for around 15m, rather than spending a bit more on someone like Fellaini.

Fellaini isn't PL proven as a DM or in a B2B role though, because he hasn't played particularly well in those roles. He's only PL proven as a CAM. He hasn't got great ball winning stats in the PL, wherever he's played. His tackles/interceptions aren't great and his ball retention is also poor. He's pretty good in the air though.

If we're getting a PL proven Roy Keane or Vieira then fine. Even a Schneiderlin would be a better fit for us I think. Much better than buying a 20million square for a round hole.

I'm also not sure if a good game against United is better than MOM performances against Barce and Inter.

dpt49

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
Fellaini isn't PL proven as a DM or in a B2B role though, because he hasn't played particularly well in those roles. He's only PL proven as a CAM. He hasn't got great ball winning stats in the PL, wherever he's played. His tackles/interceptions aren't great and his ball retention is also poor. He's pretty good in the air though.

If we're getting a PL proven Roy Keane or Vieira then fine. Even a Schneiderlin would be a better fit for us I think. Much better than buying a 20million square for a round hole.

I'm also not sure if a good game against United is better than MOM performances against Barce and Inter.
I don't think there are any players of the quality of Vieira or Keane around, and if there were they would be way out of our price range.

The reason I prefer Fellaini over Wanyama, is that Fellaini, although not a true DM like Makelele, seems to cause opposing defences problems and he has played in the PL for several seasons. He is also a good all round midfielder who is good with his head defensively or in attack and is dangerous from set pieces.
He is the sort of quality player we have been lacking.

Although Wanyama has been good in the CL, and stood out for me as Celtic's best player, we really need a player that can walk into our first team with no need to adjust to the PL.

As I said before, I still think we will get Wanyama rather than Fellaini, simply because we are not going to break our transfer record twice in one transfer window on a striker and midfielder.

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
ArsenesNO1Fan said:

COMPLETELY in-accurate as I remember seeing Fellaini dominate Liverpool as a box to box in a champions league qualifier and wondering who is this player and why isn't he famous?! Everton signed him soom after and he spent his first few seasons in a much deeper role with Tim Cahill the attacking midfielder. Fellaini was excellent in the role, hi8s Man U domination last season and the media hype train which followed seems to have fooled people into thinking he's beena top player for 1 season.

Armor for Sleep

Established Member
Was never really interested in Wanyama but today i was thinking about our squad and came to the conclusion that our big signing in midfield needs to be an AM and that a CB/CM squad player would be an ideal addition. And then I realised Wanyama has played in defence too.

So if he's any good in both positions he'd be an ideal signing. 21, very powerful, used to British football/life and not overly expensive. Add 2 quality starters in attack and a decent keeper and we'd be sorted.

TakeChillPill

Established Member
Only seen him play against Barca, thought he was Celtics best player, carried the ball well and was surprisingly we composed on the ball.

Song Billong

I think there is a lot of potential to work with in Wanyama, I would be happy with us signing him. We would have a good core of young midfielders in the first team squad in: Wilshere, Ramsey, AOC and Wanyama, with all of them offering different strengths.

gunner_down_under

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2345496/Southampton-agree-10m-fee-Celtic-Victor-Wanyama-face-competition-Liverpool-Arsenal-Inter-Milan.html?ICO=most_read_module" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... ead_module</a>

Gone....apparently.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

When he does well he will be out of our price range.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
That would be massive for Southampton, if he improves parts of his game he could be fantastic and at 21 he is well capable of pushing on.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

There are rumours that Celtic want £15M plus for him, there are far better options available at that price, Bender, Gustavo and Paulinho to name a few.

leo_ense

Established Member
15m is way too much for someone unproven outside of Scotland. He did put in good performances in the CL but we shouldn't pay that much for him imo.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
THunter said:
There are rumours that Celtic want £15M plus for him, there are far better options available at that price, Bender, Gustavo and Paulinho to name a few.

According to that article they've just accepted 10m

truth_hurts

but Holding’s hair transplant was painless
Thought Newcastle would be sniffing maybe even your Liverpools and Everton level teams. Southampton is a strange move.

Arai

Spam Hunter Bot
He's gone...

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22969633" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/22969633</a>

Time to lock this thread.

Buhry

Established Member

Good signing for the probably to be fair, it will be interesting to see how he does for them in the EPL.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom