• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Victor Wanyama

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Re: Wanyama (watched by scouts)

Glad this has popped up again. People keep going on about his technique but he has decent technique and he can actually pass the ball forward. However, even if he couldnt he can still pass it sideways to a more creative player who you know creates. A prerequisite for a DM should be the ability to defend and give the ball onto those who are offensive, not for the DM to be the offensive player leading to imbalance.

Either way Wanyama can carry the ball, pass and has more than adequate technique to play for Arsenal. He really is what we need.

Poacher

Wanyama at Celtic is fairly decent.

Wanyama under Wenger would be an entirely different animal. Wenger could quite easily create that Vieira type figure with this player.

Unless we want him as a DM rather than a box-to-box of course.

Glovegun

Established Member

I just think we look a lot better with some physical power in the midfield.

Diaby isn't that amazing but the composition of the midfield is better with him in it. Song didn't have Arteta's positional nous but gave us that ball winning aspect in the middle.

Wanyama would be a good option. He's not such a big name that he'd demand a starting spot every week but he'd be a good option to have.

Floating

Established Member

Poacher said:

Wanyama under Wenger would be an entirely different animal. Wenger could quite easily create that Vieira type figure with this player.

Vieira wasn't just a big, powerful midfielder (those are a dime a dozen) - he had the "intangibles" that made him the best in the world. He was elegant, intelligent, passionate, a leader, and a fighter. Those qualities, plus his physique and technical quality made him great.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Wanyama, but you need to be more than a big, strong CM to become anywhere close to what Vieira was.

cannonade

Established Member

Poacher said:

i was thinking quite the opposite. Wanyama under Wenger would be clueless.

GDeep™

League is very weak

Wanyama's passing is inconsistent, Capoue is apparently a rubbish passer too, which leaves me with real doubts over these 2 in our system.

Someone will tell me Wanyama can hit pin point 60 yard passes, yes iv seen them, but iv also seen him struggle to make the basic of passes regularly, that would kill us.

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepage/sport/spl/celtic/4950911/Arsenal-are-after-Victor-Wanyama.html#ixzz2V5YpgDBa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.thesun.co.uk/scotsol/homepag ... z2V5YpgDBa</a>

looks like arsenal might really be in for him.

GDeep™

League is very weak
He'll defo be on our radar, but he's another who'll need a lot of work before he begins to hit the required levels for us.

We're about player potential so he's right up our street.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
I like the look of Wanyama, powerful, strong, high engine and althletic yet technically good.

Any from Wanyama, Bender, Gonalons - I don't necessarily have a preference, just really want 1 of them

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Wouldn't worry too much about the development side, we should be aiming to keep alot of the first team the same to ease translation. Arteta's probably got at least one more full in him before slowing allowing a younger DM to take over.

GDeep™

League is very weak
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2334662/Celtics-Victor-Wanyama-wants-Arsenal-move.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... -move.html</a>

- Wow, Wanyama's former youth coach says the players father calls him every week and says Arsenal are interested and the player wants to join, also claims Wenger spoke to Celtic a month ago.

Didnt like the part where he says Wanyama can do a RvP, come here, improve, and move on.

CurryFlavoured

Established Member
Extremely strong, good tackler, huge presence in the middle of the park but sadly I don't think he could play for us because of his on the ball play. He has a decent pass on him, but in general he doesn't retain the ball well enough or link play well. He would add a massive presence to the team, but I only think AW will sign a DM if he is more of an all round player - like Gonalons or Bender who are physical presences, but are also more comfortable on the ball than Wanyama.

Hunta

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Good size, we need more height in the team, though the times I've seen him bar the Barcelona game, his passing looked poor.

Gunner_Brody

Would be a solid option would offer something that no other player in our midfield does really with a solid physical presence in there. Still very young too at 21(didnt realise he was that young thought he was more like 24) so im all for this.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Song's technique was all over the place when we first signed him, would be interested to see how Wenger would develop Wanyama. With players like Arteta and Ramsey, can see why we would opt for a more physical guy over Gonalons or Bender.

a_fourteen

Established Member

Floating said:
Poacher said:

Vieira wasn't just a big, powerful midfielder (those are a dime a dozen) - he had the "intangibles" that made him the best in the world. He was elegant, intelligent, passionate, a leader, and a fighter. Those qualities, plus his physique and technical quality made him great.

I haven't seen a whole lot of Wanyama, but you need to be more than a big, strong CM to become anywhere close to what Vieira was.
What Vieira and even Diaby had were the ability to cover yards very quickly. I haven't seen that in too many potential targets. Maybe Strootman.

Latest posts

Top Bottom