• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Victor Wanyama

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Would welcome him here with open arms tbh.

A bit too obvious to happen though.

Bigbludfire

Established Member
GDeep said:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2334662/Celtics-Victor-Wanyama-wants-Arsenal-move.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

- Wow, Wanyama's former youth coach says the players father calls him every week and says Arsenal are interested and the player wants to join, also claims Wenger spoke to Celtic a month ago.

Didnt like the part where he says Wanyama can do a RvP, come here, improve, and move on.

He did say 'it's better to have a stop gap, then to move on'. How do you know he doesn't mean Celtic? He says Arsenal is his only wanted destination. Not arguing against I just think he meant Celtic otherwise he would have said he wants to go to Madrid or something

mo50

Established Member
He's not a very good footballer. He's a midtable PL player at best. We could do so much better.

k24bfan

If he sees Arsenal as a stepping stone we should look elsewhere. Interesting buy, I would like someone more mature but he has attributes of the DM we are calling for. Depending on the price I say we jump on this one.

evoh_1

Established Member
Those moaning about Wanyama and Capoue's ability to pass the ball need to search their memorys for how utterly dog sh't alex song was when he started off here, I'd regard him as one of the worst I have seen.

Technically I've seen Wanyama score very technical goals for celtic and that speaks volume to me about his ability technique doesn't just stick to one element so I can see him building on what he has at the club. The same can be said for all players and if we can get the sort of passing we got out of song after his starting point I can't see us pulling out of moves for either Capoue or Wanyama due to some % drop in his passing stats.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
k24bfan said:
If he sees Arsenal as a stepping stone we should look elsewhere. Interesting buy, I would like someone more mature but he has attributes of the DM we are calling for. Depending on the price I say we jump on this one.

Allot of players may see us as a stepping stone right now and some of our legends may have as seen as stepping stones. Vieira for instance did, Henry did to an extent. As long as we become successful and replace players properly it doesn't matter.

ArsenesNO1Fan

Established Member
evoh_1 said:
Those moaning about Wanyama and Capoue's ability to pass the ball need to search their memorys for how utterly dog sh't alex song was when he started off here, I'd regard him as one of the worst I have seen.

Technically I've seen Wanyama score very technical goals for celtic and that speaks volume to me about his ability technique doesn't just stick to one element so I can see him building on what he has at the club. The same can be said for all players and if we can get the sort of passing we got out of song after his starting point I can't see us pulling out of moves for either Capoue or Wanyama due to some % drop in his passing stats.

Song did misplace passes, still a weakness in his game when he left although somehow Barce have got him upto 93% accuracy, probably just instructed to play it simple. But Song's through ball was always pretty good and he was pretty young when he joined us and is only 25 now, Capuoue is already 24, I don't see him improving massively and I don't think he's great defensively either. Wanyama at 21 is certainly a work in progress, his ball retention is somewhat of a weakness but just encouraging him to play it simple could improve that.

Floating

Established Member
ArsenesNO1Fan said:
evoh_1 said:

Song did misplace passes, still a weakness in his game when he left although somehow Barce have got him upto 93% accuracy, probably just instructed to play it simple.

Probably because they play him at CB mostly, where the passes are much simpler and shorter.

jones

Captain Serious
Trusted ⭐
Song played only a few games at CB, he was mostly used as back up for Busquets. His high pass percentage is because he's not allowed to do anything on the pitch but five yard passes to Xavi.

Horrible management from Barca, even though it's his position I'd say of all players at Barcelona including Messi and ****ing Valdés Busquets is the player Song resembles the least. You really wonder if Vilanova/Zubizarreta even watched him when he played for us, probably saw that flick he did against Dortmund, checked his position on FIFA/transfermarkt and decided to buy him.

evoh_1

Established Member
Pass % is important but it is in conjuction with the type of passing and where the passes are made to and from that it becomes really important, those stats we aren't privy to. But all I would say is at any age I would expect based on the way wenger trains players that their passing ability would improve under his instruction, I'd rather we bought someone who had all the quality we lack (defense-minded, physical enforcer, good in the air) and then improve his passing then try and do an arteta year after year and rely on turning players into defensive shields from attacking characteristics.

Floating

Established Member
scytheavatar said:
evoh_1 said:

You need to search your memories too and remember that Song was 17 years old when he started playing for us. By the time he was 21 years old his passing problems were gone. Wanyama is 21 years old ATM, still young and can improve, but he would be yet another project rather than someone who can slot in and take our game to a new level next season.

This. Also Song had Gilberto and Fabregas at the club who were ahead of him when he arrived. Wanyama would likely be expected to slot right in.

scytheavatar

Established Member
evoh_1 said:

You need to search your memories too and remember that Song was 17 years old when he started playing for us. By the time he was 21 years old his passing problems were gone. Wanyama is 21 years old ATM, still young and can improve, but he would be yet another project rather than someone who can slot in and take our game to a new level next season.

Mastadon

Established Member
Not too bothered about that there are plenty of other players who can pass the ball and create. I think he's good enough to come in and do a job now, and we have Ramsey/Arteta as well for that position. We got through this season without a DM we can do it next season as well if necessary but I think Wanyama would really improve the team.

fabo

6.51 / 10
Well Ramsey has been starting regularly, and from what I've seen of Wanyama, he is better than Ramsey.

iced22

You could make a case for Wanyama's passing having room for improvement, but Capoue's way past the age where we can reasonably expect much more improvement from him technically.

Besides, we don't have time to sit around and wait for improvement that isn't even guarenteed to happen. Our priority should be players who are either finished products or getting close to it, such as Gonalons, Jovetic, or even Villa/Higuain.

error_prone

iced22 said:
You could make a case for Wanyama's passing having room for improvement, but Capoue's way past the age where we can reasonably expect much more improvement from him technically.

Besides, we don't have time to sit around and wait for improvement that isn't even guarenteed to happen. Our priority should be players who are either finished products or getting close to it, such as Gonalons, Jovetic, or even Villa/Higuain.
I like the way Wanyama and Capoue bully opposition players (just watched video Celtic vs Barca, awaseome stuff :D ) and from youtube it look's like they are better technically compared to Gonalons. I'm not expert here but this Gonalon looks like Denilson at best, boring passes, weak and overall avarage.
But I'm sure Wenger will go for Gonalon, he kinda like's avarage players, man bought himself full squad of that :D

Floating

Established Member
error_prone said:
iced22 said:

I like the way Wanyama and Capoue bully opposition players (just watched video Celtic vs Barca, awaseome stuff :D ) and from youtube it look's like they are better technically compared to Gonalons. I'm not expert here but this Gonalon looks like Denilson at best, boring passes, weak and overall avarage.
But I'm sure Wenger will go for Gonalon, he kinda like's avarage players, man bought himself full squad of that
:D

Gonalons is technically superior to both players. He's also not like Denilson - he's 6'2" and physically strong in the air and on the ground.

musicmonkey

Established Member
Floating said:
error_prone said:
iced22 said:

But I'm sure Wenger will go for Gonalon, he kinda like's avarage players, man bought himself full squad of that
:D

Gonalons is technically superior to both players. He's also not like Denilson - he's 6'2" and physically strong in the air and on the ground.
What's changed in the last month? Gonalons has gone from one of the top two DMs for us to sign to an "average" player. Wanyama and Capoue better technically? Jeez this place can't make it's mind up sometimes.

Gonalons is in no way average. The guy's now a French international and was one of the most consistently strong players in Ligue 1. He doesn't play boring weak passes especially give he's probably played a higher number of long balls per game than Capoue and Wanyama combined.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

Been harking on for us to sign him for months, he is exactly what we need, an imposing brick wall - yet a brick wall that can still play and chip in with a few goals.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom