Victor Wanyama

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by Artisan, Apr 23, 2015.

1. MutableEarth

MutableEarth Bloody awesome NSFW avatars Trusted

Will just copy what I posted in the Wish List thread:

I'm relatively neutral. My dad still rates him off of that one Barca game so no d0ubt he'll like this. I think he's a good player but he's not who I would bring in. We need a more passing DM IMO, someone who can defend as well as help us build from the back. Wanyama is not that guy, he's a straight Coquelin replacement, which probably ticks boxes for many. Think we could and should do better, but he would at least not disrupt the dynamic too much, plus would add some power.

Would prefer Rabiot. Slightly more of a gamble, but has attributes closest to what I think we need for a DM/CM signing.

Trilly likes this.
  2. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

Don't want. He's worse than Coq technically IMO.

3. Furious

Furious Xhaka Propagandist

Where is @Artisan btw? Great poster, like a little brother to me.

4. ArsenesNO1Fan

ArsenesNO1Fan Well-Known Member

Far worse than Coq technically but probably as good defensively. A decent back up alongside he has someone to short pass to.

5. Gooner Zig

Gooner Zig AM's Resident Accountant Trusted

I'd take him on loan for immediate needs but I would not sign him permanently, we should be trying to get the best we can get this coming window.

6. GDeep™

GDeep™ Wrong, But Rarely

He might be happy to come here and be a squaddy. Wenger might have his starting midfielders - are the two things I'm thinking on the potential of Wanyama.

7. 4R5Emaniac

4R5Emaniac Always fresh from Bangladesh

I wouldn't mind him all things considered. One profile of midfielder we don't have is a big and strong beast. Wanyama seems comfortable in a proactive style even if not technically much special. Its not an absolute must that we have to assert control with the ball at all times. Its possible to be in control being psychologically and physically dominant in some areas.

And by the way the game is going, getting a playmaker at CB is far more important. We have Kos who is fabulous on the ball, already but John Stones or someone similar to partner him would be perfect for our game and negate our need of a predominantly defensive midfielder with a playmaker's ability.

Also, one of our best developments at the moment is our counterattacking ability with the players that we have. Ceding possession and giving away the ball-in the right area- wouldn't be the end of the world. Unless there is space to exploit in front of you, how do you exploit it? We have to think of the likes of Ramsey, Walcott, Jiroo, Özil and Bellerin, our most important offensive players who thrive with space trying to maximize their output.

8. jarsenal_man

jarsenal_man Active Member

I think the trait Wenger is looking for the most is a dm that has quick ball recovery. Not sure if Wanyama has this quality but wouldn't be surprised if he favours this attribute over technical ability.

9. Maxim

Maxim Well-Known Member

from this mornings press conference, courtesy of arseblog:

“I rate him as a player,” said the Arsenal manager, “but we are not on the case.”

There didn’t appear to be any kind of sly grin that can accompany a denial that isn’t quite a denial, but maybe Arsène’s got his poker face on again.

http://news.arseblog.com/2015/12/wenger-i-rate-wanyama-but/

10. Eduardo_da_Silva

Eduardo_da_Silva Well-Known Member

Mats Hummels along Kos would be brilliant!

11. 4R5Emaniac

4R5Emaniac Always fresh from Bangladesh

Hummels would be my alternative to Stones but he is overrated defensively and his injury record isn't very inspiring. Stones has some serious potential even if he is not as good on the ball while he is English and so young. He has better recovery speed, too- one of the best running back. Likely to be the England captain after Hart and Jack.

12. MaraDon

MaraDon Wants you to learn about football

no, i want better.

celestis likes this.
  13. Trilly

Trilly The John Cross of Ilford

Nah this guy is bobbins, don't want him anywhere near the club don't even get me started on his elephant touch.

@Furious Styles I'm tryna be you. How did I do?

Furious likes this.
  14. American_Gooner

American_Gooner Not actually American. Unless Di Marzio says so. Moderator

Bring him in so he can boss Barcelona again.

bingobob and Tir Na Nog like this.
  15. Tir Na Nog

Tir Na Nog In Big Trouble If He Speaks

He'd probably be an upgrade on Flamini to be honest, but nowhere near as good as Coquelin for me.

16. Bananacoffee

Bananacoffee Well-Known Member

That's fine as he'd replace Flamini, not Coquelin.

We have to bring in a better midfielder but we need bodies too. Don't rate Wanyama myself to be honest so I'm unsure about this deal

17. bingobob

bingobob Fan of Technicians Who Show Great Character

Wanyama would replace Coquelin, there I've said it.

18. ArsenesNO1Fan

ArsenesNO1Fan Well-Known Member

He'd be the worst passer in our whole squad if we bought him, can't see it

19. BBF

BBF Real name: Ragip Xh...

[Insert a "top yourself... if he signs" quote]

20. celestis

celestis Arsenal-Mania Veteran Moderator

We DESERVE better.

MaraDon likes this.