• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Vieira may be staying.....

johe

I heard somewhere that the new stadium is built so that you can easily add another 10k seats if necessary. I'm no economist, but it seems to me that since we have completed the stadium, we got a bunch of cash to spend in a short amount of time. For that cash we bought Reyes and v. Persie. Think of it this way: Now that the funding is complete, we get as much money as we did before we needed to save up for AG, except we need to put away some cash for the payments on our loan, which will limit our transfer budget. Since they are showing more PL games this year than usual, we will get even more TV-revenue. And like you say JazzG, there is no way the payments are that high. We would almost bankrupt ourselves, but the board would never allow that, they are after all known to be economically very smart.

And yes, we will spread the payments of 29 years from what I've heard actually.

Selling Vieira would do us no good. He is vital to success in the CL and this article reminds me of the old articles that popped up in the summer of 2003, on how we were going bankrupt, how Wenger would become frustrated with not being able to spend as much money as he would have liked to, how Vieira and Pires would have to be sold or go for free next year. How we would end up fighting for 6th place with Spuds. Some guy even wrote a 600 page book on it. Ha!

JazzG

Established Member
I can't remember who but someone out of Dein, Fiszman or Edelman once said the stadium had been financed so that even if we are not in the CL we can still afford to pay the banks back.

Actually getting the loan was the problem at first so we had to get that sorted before we decided over how long the payments would be spread.

Exiled knows quite abit about what is going on and is very reliable for news and he said the same about expanding the stadium, he didn't give exact numbers but did say it had been designed so expanding wouldn't be a problem. Liverpool's stadium is a fixed size and won't get any bigger.

Also the article keeps refering to man utd. We simply don't have as many fans as them. If they had a stadium the size of the nou camp they would probably sell it out every week, you can't compare us like that. 60k is enough for now, I said I would of liked it bigger but the council wouldn't let us IIRC. If that extra £40mill a year figure is right that will put us right up there with other teams when it comes to money but I'm not sure even if that figure is right!

lewdikris

Established Member
It's a bit of a dumb article, really.

We can't compete with Man U for fan numbers for a long time. And the stadium, although it does hinder our spending a little is about as secure a debt as you could possibly find.

It's nothing to worry about.

johe

Yes getting the loan was the problem like you say, and in addition some Spud woman who started a whole uproar against us, making us build new apartments which made it cost £2 billion (I think so anyway, it added another 50% from the original sum). And as you say, Man Utd have more fans than we do who would come and watch games. Propably 5000 of the fans on all their home games are from Asia, USA or the Continent. On the Title parade last year, 250k gooners showed up btw, but I don't know if that is alot or few.

KingReyes

Established Member
I don't think there is much to worry about. Dein and Co. didn't just wake up one day and said 'Lets build a new stadium'. They considered the long terms benefits/effects on the new stadium and would have estimated how it would be re-oaid back to the banks.

I doubt very much they would have gone ahead with the new stadium if it was a risk going into massive debt.

dynasty

you have to accept that this article was very pessimistic... and when you think about it if we were that bad..what would an extra 25mill do??considering we woulda had to replace him

fuzz

With regards the payment of the loans here's something i found fromt he bbc:

"The financing of the project is highly complex.

Ashburton Properties has obtained a £260million senior loan facility from a stadium facilities banking group.

The group comprises The Royal Bank of Scotland PLC, Espirito Santo Investment, The Bank of Ireland, Allied Irish Banks PLC, CIT Group Structured Finance (UK) Limited and HSH Nordbank AG.

Interest on the senior debt is set at a commercial fixed rate over the 14-year term.

Arsenal themselves are making up the deficit through funds from Granada, Nike and the sale of surplus land assets relating to the stadium site."

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 512841.stm

p.s. with regards stadium expansion, could someone elaborate on whether the stadium can be expanded or not and if there are any articles they would be much appreciated on this topic.

I always thought we could fill out 70,000 especially the way david dein explained how we already have more than enough people on the waiting list for season tickets to fill out a 60,000. I actually visit a forum for liverpool fans to discuss their new stadium and the issue of stadium size i.e. 60 or 70 thousand is highly contencious for them, as is the ability of the stadium to be expanded.

memyself

Although its true that Manure seem to have a wider fanbase (even liverpool, apparently) I can't help noticing that with every stadium update there is a little insight into what arsenals next step is in relation to commercialbilty. I think Dein was saying something about the stadium being built to coincide with a new commercial step for arsenal, in regards to usa and far east and whatever. They are expanding on every level, to make Arsenal every bit as available and accesible as Manure and Madrid. We've sort have grown into the stadium, as our success has outgrown highbury. Dein and wenger are acting on our success and ensuring continuing success with this stadium. We are going to become a world wide brand and this will fill up the studium, especially when we snare the Europeon cup. I have no idea about the payment side of it, but I very much doubt Dein or Wenger would do anything to put this club in financial peril. Dein is a first class businessman first and foremost, and I think he see's an ideal oppotunity to put us, and keep us, in the big league with this project. In short, I can't ****ing wait for this studium to be built.

chris66

Every discussion of this subject always seems to focus solely upon the cost side of the development and sees football related income as the only source of revenue. This is a huge real estate deal with Arsenal owning big chunks of land and new development, which today are going to be worth a fortune - once the area is regenerated by the stadium and other changes will be worth even more. The financial implications of this go way beyond the stadium, that is why the loan was so difficult to secure in the first place. Having got it, we are going to make a lot of money out of this plan, which will fund the debt service well in to the future.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom