• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Vincent Kompany

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 619
  • Views 14,555

Amadeor

So there's actually a chance we can get him if we put in a bid? The kid is immense, I'd love to see him at the club. With him and Kolo in the heart of defense, confidence would flow throughout the side. Both Kolo and Vincent are quality on the ball, and can get forward well.

I'm full of expectations this Summer with regards to transfer targets, Kompany, Baptista and Ribery are the three that get my mouth watering, but we also need a decent goalkeeper. I hope we're not let down.

Anderlecht have put his transfer price fixed at £10m. Lyon wanted him, but since Cris signed a new contract, they dropped their interest. If we want him, we get him.

sabret00the

Established Member
Amadeor said:
So there's actually a chance we can get him if we put in a bid? The kid is immense, I'd love to see him at the club. With him and Kolo in the heart of defense, confidence would flow throughout the side. Both Kolo and Vincent are quality on the ball, and can get forward well.

I'm full of expectations this Summer with regards to transfer targets, Kompany, Baptista and Ribery are the three that get my mouth watering, but we also need a decent goalkeeper. I hope we're not let down.

Anderlecht have put his transfer price fixed at £10m. Lyon wanted him, but since Cris signed a new contract, they dropped their interest. If we want him, we get him.
Sound promising, but i seriously think the only way we'll go for him is if we look at him as an alternative/longterm-replacement for gilberto.

longrufus

Established Member
Although Sabre, Wenger could kill two birds with one stone in that, he knows Kompany would be just as comfortable at DM as at CB.
I would prefer him however to play at CB. For a couple of reasons. Firstly i would prefer a more creative player in the HM/DM role. Alonso is the benchmark in my opinion. The second would be quite apparent if you have read ay of my posts when talking about defenders, we need a ball playing CB. Kompany gives us just that.

Tegh

Established Member
Kolo is comfortable on the ball as well Conor, and I said more or less the same thing you have in another thread only to be told Kompany isn't great in the air. Is that true?

longrufus

Established Member
Kolo is comfortable on the ball yes, but im looking for something more than that. Passing is the key for me, and a CB with a good passing range can give great quality to a side. It can add so much more variety in the style of play, with a midfielder not having to collect the ball to start moves off, which in turn gives us more options upfield. For want of a better example, Rio Ferdinand.

Well if i were to list Komapny's strengths, Heading would not be top of the list. To say he is poor in the air, would be wrong, but it is an area of his game he could improve. However his reading of the game and technical ability more than make up for this.

sabret00the

Established Member
longrufus said:
Although Sabre, Wenger could kill two birds with one stone in that, he knows Kompany would be just as comfortable at DM as at CB.
I would prefer him however to play at CB. For a couple of reasons. Firstly i would prefer a more creative player in the HM/DM role. Alonso is the benchmark in my opinion. The second would be quite apparent if you have read ay of my posts when talking about defenders, we need a ball playing CB. Kompany gives us just that.
Problem there is that Alonso doesn't provide presense and that's our problem. Kompany is strong, good on the ball and his positioning is immense, where as in defence we can't accomodate him without dropping Toure.

longrufus

Established Member
Have to disagree with you there Sabre, Alonso has very good defensive ability, his positioning and reading of the game is good, and he was the no.1 tackler in the prem this season, fact.

I laugh when the word presence is used sometimes, Alonso has played incredibly well this season, and at no stage has his physical ability been a factor. A midfield of Alonso and Fabregas would offer defensive ability and unmatched creativness.

Double edged sword your playing with by the way Sabre, put Kompany in midfield, and he would struggle to offer anything like Alonso.

I think a partnership of Toure and Kompany would work well in my opinion, great in fact. Dont see why they could not play together.

RockyRocastle

Established Member
sabret00the said:
flash said:
Sabre I'm 50-50 with you on this one. Yes we should go for Kompany, BUT not as a midfielder because I already think Gilberto does that job very well. Yes he gives the ball away sometimes but he is a vital player now, he does a bit of everything, and is especially good in the air. When he's not in the team we miss him. His strengths far outweigh any weaknessess for me.

Another thing is I beleive Chelski will not allow us to get him. They will bid silly money for him, if we go in. Although whether they truely want him or are just bidding so no-one else can get him remains to be seen.

It all depends on whether he wants to a move for footballing or cash reasons
Weaknesses:

Can't pass forwards
Can't dribble through players
Can't win a tackle is he has to stay on his feet
Can't provide presence in midfield
Can't pass fullstop
Can't maintain compsre on the ball in big moments

Now his strengths
One of the best commited tacklers in the world (sliding tacklers)
Good at reading the game and closing down spaces
Defensively he disguises Campbell's ability when it comes to heading

Hmmmm, i'm struggling to see what you mean.

How many times have you seen him play to be able to make a good assessment of him? Cant be many as the Belgium league isnt on in England I think. Same goes with this Ribery.

And are we actually linked with these two players or is it just fantasy?

Imo you should only be able to post rumours on this board if you can provide a credible source, and if you want to talk about random players it should go in general.

Would make things a lot better and a lot clearer.

Amadeor

Maybe one little remark here. Wenger has ALWAYS had interest in Kompany. Back when Kompany was 16 (and hadn't played a senior game at rsca), AW tried to take him on a freebee.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Nice to hear Amador and Longrufus I hear you and have long stated the same, A passing CB is also most easily adapted to play with our current crop of CB's

Kenji

I don't know why a lot of you wanted to play kompany in DM

I'm from Anderlecht, I know him well and I watched him play a lot for Anderlecht and for belgium

kompany is a natural CB, he only played in DM for few month and I don't think this is his favourite position

he has a good shoot, great tacle, lot of calm, it'll be a waste to put him in midfield

never heard him said that his favorite club is arsenal...he played in a lot of charity game for barcelona, his father and laporta are good friend

I really hope he could come to arsenal but it'll be no surprise if he go to barcelona or inter

sabret00the

Established Member
Kenji said:
kompany is a natural CB, he only played in DM for few month and I don't think this is his favourite position

he has a good shoot, great tacle, lot of calm, it'll be a waste to put him in midfield
given his skill set how do you feel it's a waste to move him to midfield where he's got more freedom to express himself? i mean if he wanted to play the game he plays in Belgium here, we'd be skewered alive due to forever being left exposed.

Bigpapa42

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't Kompany a midfielder before he was moved to defense? An Anderlecht supporter told me that, and that many still feel his future is in midfield. Given that he could be a top class center back as well, its a risk I would like to see Arsenal take.

burnsjed

Established Member
So could Kompany kill 2 birds with 1 stone, give us an alternative in both CD and a much needed replacement for Gilberto?

Top Bottom