• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Vincent Kompany

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 619
  • Views 14,602

kel varnsen

Established Member
USArsenal said:
interesting kovacs... everyone else in the free world seems to think he is the biggest thing since sliced bread, including media, fans and scouts alike... you are apparently one of the very few who think he is over-rated as a teenager?? (and playing regular first team footie and excelling at a "big" club such as Anderlecht? ) - yes, i know its the Belgian league, but all the players over there arent crap....

i agree with kovacs. kompany is very overrated.

kompany

celestine babayaro was playing regular first team football for anderletch between the age of 16/17 IIRC.

true, but he wasn't anderlecht's star in the big matches as opposed to kompany

i agree with kovacs. kompany is very overrated

We've been in this discussion before, and I don't think your opinion is a fair one. firstly because you admitted previously that your opinion is largely based on 1 pre-season friendly and secondly because you described him as physically weak( while in fact he has the physique of vieira), after seeing this match. the reason why you feel he's overrated, simply seems to be that you didn't see the performances which build his reputation.
however otherwise, if you did see those matches, I'm very curious how you would rate a 17y old who impresses against a variety of world class strikes in his amazing cl and international performances, while also offering an attacking treath and I'm also wondering if you could name a few other players who did this before.

apart from this kind of criticism, I do think that considering his current weaker points is a good thing, and I agree with asajoseph that he needs to be brought as a help to this arsenal defence not as a stronghold, and I'm sure that given the time, he'll eventually become a tremendous player

patrick42uk

Established Member
kompany said:
celestine babayaro was playing regular first team football for anderletch between the age of 16/17 IIRC.

true, but he wasn't anderlecht's star in the big matches as opposed to kompany

or it could be argued that these days way too much value is placed on young players who happen to be in their first teams, or just young players in general. look at the transfer policy of man utd and arsenal for instance. the players signed are getting younger and younger, and incidentally younger players are getting over-priced and overhyped. increasing t.v. coverage too probably adds to that especially from fans who can overreact to a good performance when it comes to young players.

i'm not saying this is the case with kompany but just putting out the possibility. a bit of objectivity really.

kompany

I agree with the point that you're making, but I just thought that the comparison babayaro-kompany was a bit misplaced

A

Anonymous

we dont need anymore youngsters....we need experience

Ratinho

Established Member
asajoseph said:
£6 mil? is he having a laugh?

People are doing it again. :roll:

Why exactly should teams be paying more than £6m for an unproven teenage defender, from Belgian football?

Realistic offer, and paying more wouldn't be very bright.

asajoseph

Established Member
Hmmm... Unproven? Not entirely. He's played for Belgium, played in the CL, and plays regularly as one of the stars of his team. By the sounds of it, he's about as proven as he possibly could be, considering where he's coming from.

Again, it's not a question of 'proving himself' anyway - it should be a question of talent. If Wenger thinks he can turn into the next Sol Campbell, he should be signed now, before he's signed by someone like Juve, where he can 'prove himself' and earn the 30 million price tag he might have in the future.

we dont need anymore youngsters....we need experience

Kompany may not be quite the finished article yet, but by all accounts he isn't that far off. But should he be the single 'solution' to our defence? Definitely not. We should sign Kompany along with another more experienced player, especially given how often Sol seems to be getting injured.

As we all know, we're not Chelsea, so the only way to stay competitive through the years is by signing talent when we can afford it - i.e. when they're young. If we wait 2-3 years, Kompany may have had a chance to 'prove himself', but his price tag will skyrocket too. Untill Roman Abramovich buys Arsenal, that's the game we will have to play.

This is definately one of the most talented youngsters in European football. Last year I saw him twice against Bayern Munich when he played with Anderlecht against them in the Championsleague. He was just 17 years old back then. He played really well and I was totally astonished to hear he was just 17. His play is very mature and he already seems to possess a rather strong outer appearance. He organised their defence very well and already directed his defence-colleagues despite his youth!

If there is any possibility of signing this player we should try not to miss the chance of including such a great youngster to our squard!

_scorpion_

Established Member
Legend#1 said:
Let's hinder Senderos' progress why don't we :roll:

Why do you say that? If Senderos is good enough, he would push for a place against Kompany.

Besides, Sol isnt getting any younger and a Senderos Kompany partneship for the future would be fantastic for Arsenal.

Taozhe

We won't be hindering Senderos considering they are both youngsters, aren't they? We could have a decent backline with good backup.

Clarkey

If we got Kompany, bed Senderos and keep working hard with Djourou we could quite possibly have three of the best centre halves in the world. I think the partnership Wenger is building up to personally for the future is Djourou and Senderos if they both fulfil their full potential (particularly Djourou who we got on a steal.) Chelsea have three top drawer centre halves and have no problems with hindering other players form or progress so I do not understand this whole hindering Phillipe progress argument. We need a squad, the quality will always rise to the top and play regardless. If we have three centre halves thats a healthy situation, competition and options for Wenger.

lowerman

I also think that Kompany is overrated. I saw him on last years friendly between Belgium and Germany and Kompany was weak.
I dont think he has more potential than Senderos or Djourou.
We should rather get an experienced player.

Ratinho

Established Member
Artillery said:
How much is Arsenal willing to pay for Kompany?
:?:

It's another Hildebrand situation. We've barely been linked beyond a couple of articles throwing random big clubs in with his name. So we have no idea.

I wouldn't pay more than £6m. You have to be realistic.

the dawn raids

Established Member
its much easier to be realistic when every big club in europe hasnt been linked with this kid. and if hes gonna turn out to be as strong a player as he appears, then overpaying a little now rather than a LOT later might be the path we must take.

Top Bottom