• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Virgil Van Dijk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Impact

Established Member
On the transfer itself, van Dijk is one of the best defenders in the league. If we can get him and Lemar (and keep the contract rebels), I make us favourites for the title.

Red London

Anti-Simp Culture
Trusted ⭐
Koscienly is ageing and getting injuries constantly (he isnt a stranger to a suspension too)

Mustafi has been injured quite a lot

Per is semi retired

Holding cant be fully relied on due to his age

Monreal is getting to the end of his career

Gabriel and Chambers just arent good enough.

If I had it my way I'd be offloading one of the average guys (along with Per retiring) and sign a good centre back. Sometimes you need to look to the future too , although this isnt a pressing matter, we really should be forking out this season and improving our spine

Sanchez11

Nobody Is Coming!

If we sell giroud and the others it could happen with lemar and net spend would be under 100m

SingmeasongSong

Right Sometimes
Nobody is signing players because of StatDNA. Please have a bit of common sense guys. Scouts will use the facility to flag up talent and then do the eyes test before recommending to Arséne. And then Wenger will decide using a combination of the advice of his trusted aids, videos and the stats.

Exactly !
Besides I don't think that our scouting is bad at all - we found Dijk, Kante, Lemar, Mbappe and many more - we just did not mean bussiness in the market.
Fortunately there are signs that this might finally have changed :)

Sniper Mik

Not a Closet Sp**s Fan
Nobody is signing players because of StatDNA. Please have a bit of common sense guys. Scouts will use the facility to flag up talent and then do the eyes test before recommending to Arséne. And then Wenger will decide using a combination of the advice of his trusted aids, videos and the stats.

I never said that. I only said they recommended players to us. Of course the final word comes from the manager.

Penn_

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Didn't realise he was so young, should he keep his current level or even improve it's a bargain.

A back three of Dijk, Kos and Holding/Mustafi is almost to good though. :lol:

GDeep™

League is very weak
We need a CB. I don't think you can win the league with our current lot.

Per is semi retired, Kos is good but has injury issues, Mustafi is stable and reliable, Holding is a kid.

For me, you don't win titles with these guys.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Didn't realise he was so young, should he keep his current level or even improve it's a bargain.

A back three of Dijk, Kos and Holding/Mustafi is almost to good though. :lol:
Watch Juventus play once and it will cure you of that belief lol

Mitch

Blonde Brigade Grand Wizard
If the likes of Cahill, Luiz, Wes Morgan and Danny Simpson are good enough to win league titles then our defenders are good enough.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
People seem to really rate him. Can't say I really remember him when I've seen him play.

If he's as good as people say then I want him.

I've always wanted a top CB, CM and CF this window
That is often the hallmark of a good CB though. Similar to American football where if you don't hear about the offensive lineman they're doing a good job. Van Dijk is strong in the air and decisive in the tackle. He's the prototypical big, strong PL CB.

GDeep™

League is very weak
If the likes of Cahill, Luiz, Wes Morgan and Danny Simpson are good enough to win league titles then our defenders are good enough.
That's not my point though, I'm looking at reliability. Kos has an Achilles issue, Holding is a kid, Per is semi retired.

Only Mustafi can be banked on to stay fit and deliver half decent performances.

gunner4lyfe

Established Member
So what if Holding is a kid? He's playing way ahead of his years. Hasn't made a mistake which cost us a goal so far so what's all this talk about cant rely on him?

GDeep™

League is very weak
So what if Holding is a kid? He's playing way ahead of his years. Hasn't made a mistake which cost us a goal so far so what's all this talk about cant rely on him?
I don't want us having to rely on him if Kos goes down.

You can't win leagues with shortcuts. We're already taking shortcuts elsewhere - poor GK, dodgy CM etc.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You just have to look at Bellerin and other young players we have to know about the ups and down on player form during developmental years.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
This guy is severely needed but I feel like we have to sell before we buy him hence why he's an option for later on in the window.

Lacazette and Lemar would give us a net spend close to 100m. Gotta get rid of some dead wood then we can have the firepower to go for a VVD. After that you're looking at Alexis going and Mahrez coming in imo.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
Like tenmandeep said, we aren't blessed with amazing CB options just good numbers.

Gabriel isn't good enough but will be part of the squad.
Holding is too inexperienced atm but will play.
Chambers should be sold but will most likely go on loan.
Mustafi is acceptable.
Koscielny is getting on and has injury problems.
Mertesacker retires next season.

You could argue the last one points towards us bringing in a CB next window. But if we have serious ambitions we must get VVD now.

Axel9090

Man City and Liverpool are probably still eyeing him up, even after Liverpools earlier stint with him.

Thomas Lemar will be around 55m and same with virgil, then we've spent about 160m, thats okay in my eyes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom