Vito Mannone

Discussion in 'Transfer Rumours' started by asajoseph, Jul 4, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. asajoseph

asajoseph New Member Elite

Props to timmyg for pointing this out last week - Skysports have now picked up on it.

A young, 17 year old Italian goalkeeper Vito Mannone apparently looks set to join Arsenal.

<a class="postlink" href="http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Article.asp?id=289255" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://skysports.planetfootball.com/Art ... ?id=289255</a>

It's hard to figure this one out though - at his age, Lehmann will be long gone before Mannone would be ready for the first team. Surely Wenger isn't planning for 4 years of Almunia??? Or will there be another 'stop gap' keeper coming in in a few years?

2. Inter Minan

Inter Minan New Member

If he's good enough, surely he could be ready at 18/19?

3. asajoseph

How many goalkeepers do you know that are ready for premiership and CL football at 18-19?

I've not seen the kid, and know nothing about him though, I have to admit.

4. Jinn

Jinn New Member Elite

Hopefully he'll develop into a quality keeper.

5. invisibleman18

invisibleman18 New Member Elite

Casillas was ready at that age. so who knows?

6. Soler

Soler New Member Elite

Cerci is the only one I know of who's actually played a serious amount of league football at that age in Italy, other than Casillas. Mannone seems like a young keeper is being bought to replace Taylor/Stack. Throwing a youngster in an at the deep end doesn't sound like a good idea at all.

7. arsenal4life

arsenal4life New Member

we were linked to another GK from parma
    i don't remember his name

8. lee1001

lee1001 New Member Trusted

Taylor...gone
    Stack...going

Lehmann...1 year left?
    Almunia...just plain crap!!

In the next 24 months we need a quality young keeper and a first team keeper.

Mannone seems to be the young keeper.
    Who know's who the keeper for the first team will be.

9. asajoseph

10. Mark

Mark New Member Elite

Couldn't we just sign Isaakson instead? This guy won't be good for years, if ever.

11. footballus_maximus

footballus_maximus New Member

I remember Buffon started playing in his teens in Seria A

12. arsenal4life

arsenal4life New Member

hail the GOD FATHER :mrgreen:

13. Jinn

Jinn New Member Elite

I guess signing this guy doesn't rule out a move for another established keeper.

14. asajoseph

Hmm... Like Ricardo? If Wenger was planning on having Ricardo for a few years (he's the right age), then Mannone would be 'ready' round about the time Ricardo would be looking to retire.

15. Ratinho

Ratinho New Member

The time for Ricard to retire was after the Euro Champs ffs!! :(

But it's good to see we're still picking up the cream of the youth scene. This guy is pretty well regarded around.

Still no idea who'll replace Lehmann, but I wouldn't get to excited or ahead of yourselves guys. This guy is a kid, bought to see if we can develop him for the future. Wenger will not even be considering replacing Lehmann with him.

16. timmyg

timmyg New Member

I agree with Ratinho there. Mannone is being picked up as a youngster, not a first team challenger.

He'll be being brought in to replace Taylor/Stack while working on his game. I'd like to see an established keeper come in to replace Lehman, but I don't think it's going to happen....

17. arsenal4life

arsenal4life New Member

and what about Andrea Consigili , we have linked to him in december and who is better

18. demoman50

demoman50 New Member

Frey, signed a loan deal with Fiorentina.

19. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Totally agree with you ...

20. humble_genius

humble_genius New Member

maybe this guy is a new cesc cept for keeping :)

but surely he is taking stack/taylors place, heres hope we get frey or isaakson, to be honest only seen highlights and 2 games but from what i saw the man is sensational!

p.s. why doesnt wenger make a move for kirkland as a backup keeper, the guy was so good before liverpool, surely he would go pretty cheap and make a pretty good backup for arse, at least compared to alumnia

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.