• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Vito Mannone

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ricky_AFC

We've lost Taylor and probably Stack so couldnt hurt for him to slot in there. As long as we still sign a top quality keeper too. I like Isaksson but the young Ajax keeper Stekelenberg wouldnt be a bad catch

asajoseph

Established Member
Did this chap ever sign or what? Nothing about him on the official site...

Furthermore, I don't think he's even at the level of Stack or Taylor. Both of those were approaching the age (in fact, Taylor was past it) where you'd expect to start getting a sniff at first team football. At 17, Mannone would have to be a REAL phenomenon to even be considered for first team action, even at a lower league club.

flash

For me Stack and Taylor were never going to make it here otherwise they would have been playing already -look at Fabregas... he was promoted with Ray Parlour's old shirt BEFORE GILBERTO GOT INJURED. Stack? Taylor? When Not injured or caught up in court cases they didn't get a look in. not even a sniff of the 1st team.

I wouldn't mind seeing the next position to strengthen being the goalkeepers position. I'm sure Wenger is aware of this. We have lost two more Goalkeepers and got an inexperienced young untried keeper in!

Lehmann I'm not sure he could go either way -good or bad
Thig is when it goes bad ...boy does it go and look really really bad!

When it goes well it is unspectacular..he just does the job in an effiecient unoticed way, and does the ugly things well. I'm not complaining about this this is very very good, but this almost goes against him.

Almunia - I actually think he has the tools to be very very good. Some of his saves are nothing short of remarkable:
E.g. the double save against portsmouth against stone and lua lua (I think), his THREE penalty saves at Sheffield (One of them was chalked off)

His save from Ameobi at Newcastle....

These goalkeeping feats are not luck. You have to have skill to save THREE penalties!
His reactiona are cat like.

He just lets himself down sometimes with silly mistakes like the ones against Manchester at Home in the league and Away in the CC Cup. They are spectacular F ups! And they cost him and US!

I do think that if he can deal with the pressure he can challenge for the no 1 jersey. I reckon thats why he screws up. How else can you let the ball slip under your body from Bellion one minute and then follow up with a fantastic save the next? Surely if your totally crap both goals would go in?
Its a pressure/mental thing Im 100% sure of that. I've heard wenger say that he was sunder enormous pressure when he came in.

hopefully he can cope somehow.

All that said though how many really really top keepers are out there that make very few mistakes in the whole season?

BUffon?
Cech?

Who else?
Frey? -> Dont make me laugh
Van der sar LOL!

WHO ELSE IS THERE PEOPLE, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WHO IS AVAILABLE?

yonatan

I saw Buffon make a huge mistake, he pretended like he was gonna kick the ball up the field and then instead changed direction and tried to get past the striker (I think it was Juventus vs. Lazio). The striker wasn't fooled and almost stole the ball from him. Buffon just smiled afterwards (this shows his huge amount of confidence).

Bottom line: all keepers make mistakes, it's the ones who have enough confidence that can stay good most of the time.

By the way, didn't Almunia come from Celta?

yonatan

flash said:
For me Stack and Taylor were never going to make it here otherwise they would have been playing already -look at Fabregas... he was promoted with Ray Parlour's old shirt BEFORE GILBERTO GOT INJURED. Stack? Taylor? When Not injured or caught up in court cases they didn't get a look in. not even a sniff of the 1st team.

I wouldn't mind seeing the next position to strengthen being the goalkeepers position. I'm sure Wenger is aware of this. We have lost two more Goalkeepers and got an inexperienced young untried keeper in!

Lehmann I'm not sure he could go either way -good or bad
Thig is when it goes bad ...boy does it go and look really really bad!

When it goes well it is unspectacular..he just does the job in an effiecient unoticed way, and does the ugly things well. I'm not complaining about this this is very very good, but this almost goes against him.

Almunia - I actually think he has the tools to be very very good. Some of his saves are nothing short of remarkable:
E.g. the double save against portsmouth against stone and lua lua (I think), his THREE penalty saves at Sheffield (One of them was chalked off)

His save from Ameobi at Newcastle....

These goalkeeping feats are not luck. You have to have skill to save THREE penalties!
His reactiona are cat like.

He just lets himself down sometimes with silly mistakes like the ones against Manchester at Home in the league and Away in the CC Cup. They are spectacular F ups! And they cost him and US!

I do think that if he can deal with the pressure he can challenge for the no 1 jersey. I reckon thats why he screws up. How else can you let the ball slip under your body from Bellion one minute and then follow up with a fantastic save the next? Surely if your totally crap both goals would go in?
Its a pressure/mental thing Im 100% sure of that. I've heard wenger say that he was sunder enormous pressure when he came in.

hopefully he can cope somehow.

All that said though how many really really top keepers are out there that make very few mistakes in the whole season?

BUffon?
Cech?

Who else?
Frey? -> Dont make me laugh
Van der sar LOL!

WHO ELSE IS THERE PEOPLE, AND MORE IMPORTANTLY WHO IS AVAILABLE?

How about Casillas? No, he isn't available but he is a top keeper.

I've seen Isakkson once or twice and from that he's impressed me but I can't judge him on the course of a season.

There aren't enough top keepers for every one of the top teams in the world, Juve have Buffon, Real have Casillas, Chelsea have Cech. Those are the top ones, then there's Dida for Milan and Valdez for Barca (his saves vs. Chelsea were quite amazing) and the rest of the teams have goalkeepers who aren't as good as those.

asajoseph

Established Member
By the way, didn't Almunia come from Celta?

He was contracted to Celta Vigo, but had been on loan for a season at Albacete - Vigo went down, Albacete stayed up!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom