• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Was the Arsenal fanbase too hard on Giroud - France's all time leading goalscorer?

Were the fans too harsh on Giroud?

• Total voters

TornadoTed

Established Member
Wasn’t coming for any individual poster. I was using the plural you as in “you were all incredibly wrong about Giroud.”

He might not have been as good as Auba or RVP but we’d have won more if he was playing with them.

Big game player whose game is arguably as strong as it ever was. He has an undervalued skill set where not many people can do what he does.

People on here saw him as the problem when if you put better players around him we’d have been elite.
I like Ground, always felt he was undervalued by the fans.

I'm not sure about the point about having better players around him though. He was playing with peak Sanchez, Özil and Walcott for a good chunk of his time here.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

Too ****ing slow to be top striker! Watching him run was and is painful. No wheels what so ever. He makes Laca seem like a speedster and that is saying something!

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

One thing I’ll say is that his link up play is MASSIVELY overrated.

It was one of the few things he was above average at so it was focused on but go back to the match threads, he would spend all game trying fancy flicks and so on but would pull it off once or twice a game.

Jesus is a better link up player, he’s just not a target man.

Gooner416

Master of Stonks
Trusted ⭐

Underappreciated but 14/15 still haunts me. Seeing him celebrate in Baku as well tarnished any legacy. Massive c*nt but a good footballer.

Blood on the Tracks

AG's best friend, role model and mentor.
Trusted ⭐

Player:Rice
If you take the emotion of supporting Arsenal all you can ask for is, ''Did we get all the possible potential out of Giroud?''

I think the answer is pretty much yes.

I can't really complain about him on that front. He just didn't have the talent to be leading the line week in week out for a PL title winning side.

Reactions: A_G

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

FWIW though, I just don't think he was best suited to our style, I think we kept going back to him because he was so dependable. But let's not forget throughout his time here Wenger did try Podolski, Gervinho, Walcott, Welbeck and Alexis all as strikers and then eventually signed Laca before finally fully replacing him with Auba. I think we got a glimpse into our full attacking potentially both in 2015 with Theo up front and in 2016 with Alexis we looked much more fluid. Giroud however was dependable and always available for the most part, pretty sure he broke a bone in his foot one year and only had like 2 months off.

EmeryCouldnt

Established Member
Our fan base is too abusive to players in general tbh. I’d prefer an arsenal that shows respect to all in the jersey. Abuse never made a player better. Football is a confidence game.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
He worked really hard and maxed out his ability. He should never have been the main striker for us and the 19 match goalless run was the final nail in his coffin. He had great fitness but not the game for a team with aspirations that relied on him being consistent. He's had a great career tbh and I wanted to keep him and get Auba instead of the Laca/Auba pairing. Yes, we were too hard because he did his best and no we weren't because some of his misses were horrendous. Overall, no.

Bloodbather

Established Member

Giroud was definitely underrated when he played for us. He did have rough stretches where he seemingly couldn't hit anything, but a lot of the frustration levelled at him was caused by the fact that we didn't have enough goalscorers in the team and required Giroud to be that player for us consistently.

He's a really good striker for most teams, and a good glue guy for elite teams if you have goalscoring wingers and attacking midfielders around him. Not good enough to be the main goal threat for an elite side, though.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

You said too slow to be a top striker you psycho.

So how is Zlatan not an example of a slow top striker?
First of all, Zlatan wasn't especially slow when he was younger. He is 40 now and slow but that wasn't always the case as I recall him when he came through.

Secondly, Zlatan was a once in a generation type player combining fantastic skills with a huge frame and real aggressiveness. If we would have had Zlatan at his peak we would have won the PL. No question in my mind.

Thirdly, using a WC talent to prove that there are exceptions isn't as great an argument as you think.

I have a lot of time for Giroud but we could really have done with a better striker than him! Some of his goalless dry spells were just brutal.

say yes

forum master baiter
No.

He was never good enough to be a starting CF at a top club and cost us massively. Also a complete ****.

One of those players you only rate if you don't have to watch him start for you every week.

CaseUteinberger

Established Member

I agree. That Swedish fraud should not be mentioned in the same sentence as our man from Montpellier!

zlatan GIF by nss sports

Latest posts+

Top Bottom