• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wayne Bridge

kenkbc2

Re: Wayne Bridge on loan?

Wow..shocked to see so much negative feelings about Bridge coming to us. We ARE talking about an ex-England leftback here..

For argument sake, lets look at our options:-

-Koscielny-Mertesacker-TV-Miquel-

or

-Coquelin-Mertesacker-Koscielny-TV-

or

-Koscielny-Mertesacker-TV-Bridge-

Lets put it this way, he's going to want to prove a point to Mancini after the alleged bust-up. What better way to do that than to perform and help a rival challenge for the title (or at least the top 4 spot).

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

For half a season considering Gibbs' and Santos' state, I'm tempted to say 'yes'.
Wenger will never go out and sign a LB permamently in January, but a loan seems likely now.

Airknight

Established Member

kenkbc2 said:
Lets put it this way, he's going to want to prove a point to Mancini after the alleged bust-up. What better way to do that than to perform and help a rival challenge for the title (or at least the top 4 spot).

No

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/sep/09/manchester-city-wayne-bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... yne-bridge</a>

Glovegun

Established Member

He's pretty average, but I'd definitely take him. You need to make these sort of signings in January to keep you ticking over and that's where we've slipped up in previous years.

A lot of my mates are Irons and they tell me that he was their best player after an awful start, and there's no way Wenger would take him unless he was match fit and ready to go - in other words, a lot fitter and sharper than he was when we played West Ham last January. If Wenger can whip Sol Campell into shape over a short period then he can do the same with Bridge.

And let's be honest, he's only going to be cover. He doesn't need to be a world beater, but any team will suffer injuries over the course of the season and you need to protect yourself against that. A couple of experienced loan signings like Henry and Bridge could prove very useful.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka

He hasn't played in ages and would be terrible for our defence.
Plus the fact that he is happy to sit out and earn his wages, tells you enough about how much he is motivated to play.

He stayed at Chelsea for several years as Cashley substitute and now at Mancity when they have 4 other LB's.

I don't think we'll get him. Wenger will probably go ahead and frustrate everyone by starting to play Squillacci/Per in CB with Verms/Kos in FB.

dpt49

Established Member

He was pretty average for West Ham, so why are we even considering him.

As usual the cheap option.

If Gibbs is going to be injured more often than he plays then get a defender who can cover LB as well as other defensive positions.

Every season we have to put up with a defensive crisis. When is Wenger going to learn that we need better quality in depth in defence

dpt49

Established Member

It is unbelievable that we sell Adebayor, Toure, Clichy and Nasri to Man city for around 75m, and still sit on most of those profits.
We are desperate for a LB and yet all we are linked with is a player who was rubbish, on loan at West Ham, and is content to sit on the bench, at Man city, for the rest of his contract.

This tight fisted attitude, trying to do everything with the bare minimum, is why we are struggling for fourth place and Man city are top

Lazaq

Airknight said:
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/sep/09/manchester-city-wayne-bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... yne-bridge</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
From that article:

Guardian said:
Bridge has been on the wane for a couple of years. To put it into context, he went through a full season for City, playing 1,897 minutes, without a single cross, out of 47 attempts, going to a team-mate. He was loaned to West Ham in January and, on his debut, was at fault for every goal in a 3-0 defeat to Arsenal ("defending conspicuous by its awfulness", one match report said). He played 18 times for a club that was relegated.
No thanks! He's not played for City for a year, and is probably miles away from being in form. I'd rather Miquel.

1macca1

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

:cry: :cry:

I'd get so much **** if we signed him, me and a mate (Man U fan) always rip into how **** Bridge is. If sign him I'd never hear the end of it.

He was atrocious on his West Ham debut vs us last year.

kenkbc2

Airknight said:
kenkbc2 said:

No

<a class="postlink" href="http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog/2011/sep/09/manchester-city-wayne-bridge" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/blog ... yne-bridge</a>" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ok, but take note that there are now rumblings about bringing Squillaci into the CB position to partner Mertesacker in order to allow Kos and TV to occupy the FB slots..

dpt49

Established Member

We obviously need another LB, but why does it have to be Bridge.
Surely there must be another LB or defender that can cover as LB, like Vertonghen, that would fit the bill.

We have already thrown away two chances of winning the league in previous seasons, if we throw away fourth place because of yet another defensive injury crisis, Wenger will have to take full responsibility.
Why does he never learn from his previous mistakes?

redwhiteAustrian

Tu Felix Austria
Administrator

As long as Gibbs' future here isn't decided (and I doubt Wenger's given up on him), there's no point in singing a new LB permanently.
Vertonghen is a good idea, but not as a LB.

Would be different though, if we sold Squib and signed Vertonghen as replacement.
One can dream.

dpt49

Established Member

redwhiteAustrian said:
As long as Gibbs' future here isn't decided (and I doubt Wenger's given up on him), there's no point in singing a new LB permanently.
Vertonghen is a good idea, but not as a LB.

Would be different though, if we sold Squib and signed Vertonghen as replacement.
One can dream.
Sounds perfect,
Verms, Kos, Mertesacker, Djourou and Vertonghen.
Apart from Mertesacker thay are all versatile defenders that can cover FB positions.
That would be ideal.

Vela

Established Member

Vertonghen would be ideal signing can play center-back, full-back and in midfield.

kofigunner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

Wayne Bridge indeed.
This season, Bridge has only been called on once, for the Carling Cup tie against Birmingham in September, and he has fallen so far down the pecking order there was not even a chance of a place on the bench for Sunday's win over Arsenal despite fellow full-backs Gael Clichy and Aleksandar Kolarov being ruled out.
Like we need another injury prone player who has not even played enough to be in any kind of form.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom