• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

We are not a one-man team, says Arsène Wenger

Adam

Established Member
Dan the man - think before you write. Pires 15 assists in 01/02 and 14 goals, Ljungberg 15 goals, Bergkamp assisted Freddie.

Some of these players didn't perform last year because of injury disrupted seasons, and you are basing your "one man team" assumption on that season when Henry had to adopt Pires's assists and he beared alot of the goal scoring responsibility that Ljungberg would have eased. This season we can see a change in Ljungberg and Pires which would contradict your view.

Bergkamp and Ljungberg have also not really had a consistent run of games together for one reason or another, so the relationship is improving again.

We will find our Wengerball rhythm soon. The signs were against Fulham when Pires was motm, Ljungberg was in good positions to have chances, and Bergkamp produced some wonderful passes.

All this without the best CM in the Premiership - Vieira, who is often at the heart of alot of our Wengerball. Grow up and learn your Arsenal!

JazzG

Established Member
Agree with Adam here.

We do rely on Henry but every team has that one player they always rely on. Madrid - Zidane, Juve - Nedved, Milan - Shevchenko etc, when you take them they suddenly don't look complete.

We have shown in the past we can cope without Henry, I think when we have Henry + Vieira out then we struggle as they are our most important players. Vieira keeps us ticking and gives us good control over the midfield. Against man utd and chelsea last season Vieira put on a super show in both matches to keep them at bay. We were without Vieira, Parlour, Lauren and Henry. Thats 3 first teamers and Parlour always plays when Vieira is out.

A

Anonymous

Yesterday proved that we are FAR too dependent on Henry.

We are as close to being a one man team as you can be (although i agree with the term as we have a solid defence, which TH doesnt contribute to).

We were absolutely toothless in attack. We ran out of ideas very early and at times we did not know where to go with the ball. There was nothing on.

Our approach play was nice, but then it broke down. Ali needs to bulk up or he is not going to make it in the PL. It is worrying if he is our replacement for Henry.

Leicester were crap, a very poor team, but on yesterdays showing so were we. No invention, no nothing. Just a very flat perofrmance. No skillful moves or anything. Pires and Dennis had the ball and you could tell they would just love to play Henry in, but they had to give it to Ali was was shoved off the ball. Also in the last few minutes Henry would have held the ball up and we would have won. As it was was stupidly lost it and the rest is history.

We were too predictable, something we can never be called with TH in the team. The game proved if he gets a serious injury we are in big trouble. People argued with we we would cope without him, well yesterday proved otherwise.

Adam

Established Member
What does it take? We can win at Chelsea and United without Henry and play great football, yet there are still complaints.

I think at the moment we miss Vieira. He brings alot to our team which isn't as obvious as Thierry's attacking contribution. But in these fighting away games we need a Parlour or a Vieira.

A

Anonymous

Adam said:
What does it take? We can win at Chelsea and United without Henry and play great football, yet there are still complaints.

I think at the moment we miss Vieira. He brings alot to our team which isn't as obvious as Thierry's attacking contribution. But in these fighting away games we need a Parlour or a Vieira.

We 'fought' fine yesterday, midfield was not a problem.

The problem was our non existant attack. Our biggest goal threat was Gilberto, which to me was worrying.

I take it you didnt see the game yesterday, because if you did you would have seen a team with no attacking ideas or plan B at all, as well as Leicester.

Just face it people. We are a one man team, but with that man being Henry it is nothing to be ashamed about.

JazzG

Established Member
Seems to our creative players had no one to aim at tbh, might of been better using Wiltord who at least sometimes gives us a few options upfront. Probably better to use Ali only in home games for now tbh.

Adam

Established Member
JazzG said:
Seems to our creative players had no one to aim at tbh, might of been better using Wiltord who at least sometimes gives us a few options upfront. Probably better to use Ali only in home games for now tbh.

Wiltord played in the Chelsea away win and the United away win and scored in both. So maybe that is a fair assesment. He is the best replacement for Henry.

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Adam said:
JazzG said:

Wiltord played in the Chelsea away win and the United away win and scored in both. So maybe that is a fair assesment. He is the best replacement for Henry.

If there's a problem with Henry it's that he's TOO good! When he's not there, noone can replace him. Unless you are Real, and have a team of Henry's, you'll miss him.

We can't really afford to lose Henry & Vieira in the same game, but who could?

A

Anonymous

JazzG said:

And why was there no one to aim at? Because Henry wasnt there!

Without him we have the option of Ali who is no where near ready yet physically, or Wiltord, who the word inconsistent was invented for.

And that is it! Our replacements or Henry are average. Fact.

We are a one man team. If we didnt have Henry this year we would be well behind the mancs and chelsea. We have played very average football for us this year, and have relied on Henry to win games for us by himself, which he is very capable of doing.
Can we rely on Ali and Wiltord to win us the games? I think not.

JazzG

Established Member
Sol said:

We are a one man team. If we didnt have Henry this year we would be well behind the mancs and chelsea. We have played very average football for us this year, and have relied on Henry to win games for us by himself, which he is very capable of doing.

Yeah thats what I meant, without Henry around our creative players had nothing to create for :?

We have relied a lot on Henry, with Vieira out our midfield has crumbled all to easily I feel in some matches. So we have needed Henry to bail us out on many times. But thats his job and boy does he do it well!

Beany

ITK
Trusted ⭐

Sol said:
JazzG said:

Without him we have the option of Ali who is no where near ready yet physically, or Wiltord, who the word inconsistent was invented for.

Nonsense; our replacements are average only when compared to Henry; there are only 3 strikers playing in this Country (Owen, Shearer & Diverboy) who could adequately replace him. One of those is injured/out of form, one is a virtual geriatric & one is, well, a total c*unt.

A

Anonymous

JazzG said:
Sol said:

Yeah thats what I meant, without Henry around our creative players had nothing to create for :?

Yeh i know, i was agreeing with you.

Adam

Established Member
The only fact is that we have coped well when he has been out. Jeez, we got to an FA Cup final without him. And you are speculating on something which hasn't even happened (a long term Henry injury). If i constantly worried about things like this then football would be a depressant.

A

Anonymous

Beany said:
Sol said:
JazzG said:

Nonsense; our replacements are average only when compared to Henry; there are only 3 strikers playing in this Country (Owen, Shearer & Diverboy) who could adequately replace him. One of those is injured/out of form, one is a virtual geriatric & one is, well, a total c*unt.

So you think Wiltord and Ali arent average?

The rest i agree with you. We can not replace Henry, if we go without him for a period we will struggle.

A

Anonymous

Adam said:
The only fact is that we have coped well when he has been out. Jeez, we got to an FA Cup final without him. And you are speculating on something which hasn't even happened (a long term Henry injury). If i constantly worried about things like this then football would be a depressant.

:roll:
Based on yesterdays performace i think i am entitled to worry about being without him for a period.

I think our over dependence on him is very worrying. If this doesnt worry you then fair enough, but it should.

JazzG

Established Member
Sol said:
I think our over dependence on him is very worrying. If this doesnt worry you then fair enough, but it should.

It sure does worry me, all I'm saying is I think we can get the odd performance here or there without him. For a long period we would find it a lot harder, with him and Paddy out we are proper screwed then!

A

Anonymous

JazzG said:
Sol said:

It sure does worry me, all I'm saying is I think we can get the odd performance here or there without him. For a long period we would find it a lot harder, with him and Paddy out we are proper screwed then!

Exactly my point.
One off game i.e the mancs, chelsea last year we can get by.

A long period we are in ****.

Adam

Established Member
We rely on Henry and Vieira because they are such talents, and like all big teams we have these outstanding players. Manchester United rely on Roy Keane more than anyone, and this was seen last season with their dismal half season form. They can worry, we have proved we can cope. It's hard to say who Chelsea rely on, but Lampard is becoming an important player for them. We will be fine as I believe that the front men who come in are just as strong as Chelsea's and Manchester United's back up.

patrick42uk

Established Member
Sol said:
Based on yesterdays performace i think i am entitled to worry about being without him for a period.

sol, what is your solution to this then?

A

Anonymous

patrick42uk said:
Sol said:

sol, what is your solution to this then?

Its not my job to find one, i just worry about it!

I think it is quite obvious that we need a decent stiker who can deliver the goods today and take some pressure off of Henry to score the goals. But this player would be very hard to find.
There are plus and minus points for every striker we have been linked with and finding the right player will be tough.
Eto'o, Kluivert and Defoe would be my choices, but i dont think they totally ideal.

Arsenal Quotes

I've never been a goalscorer. I've only owned goals. Good own goals.

Steve Bould

Latest posts

Top Bottom