• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

We should buy more PL players

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Every single great side was built from buying within the league. I am not saying that all the buys listed below were fantastic, just that from all of the evidence it is clear that buying premiership players helps lead to success.

City- Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy, Sagna, Barry, Delph, Kolo Toure

Chelsea- Lampard, Cole

United- Carrick, Rooney, Judas, Ferdinand, Keane, Cantona

Liverpool- Wjinaldum, Henderson

I know that we've bought players from other PL clubs but by and large I feel like we haven't to the same extent as other clubs have. They have generally bought players within their prime to build their squad around. We've bought stop gaps or guys at the end of their careers. I think any good rebuild has to be centered around players who are experienced in the premiership and know what is required.

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
well...we tried for suarez and vardy .... but mostly its other clubs that buy from us. The board and owners are among the wimpiest and most pathetic incompetents at any club.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Every single great side was built from buying within the league. I am not saying that all the buys listed below were fantastic, just that from all of the evidence it is clear that buying premiership players helps lead to success.

City- Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy, Sagna, Barry, Delph, Kolo Toure

Chelsea- Lampard, Cole

United- Carrick, Rooney, Judas, Ferdinand, Keane, Cantona

Liverpool- Wjinaldum, Henderson

I know that we've bought players from other PL clubs but by and large I feel like we haven't to the same extent as other clubs have. They have generally bought players within their prime to build their squad around. We've bought stop gaps or guys at the end of their careers. I think any good rebuild has to be centered around players who are experienced in the premiership and know what is required.
Our 3 best players by some margin were purchased from Germany, Spain and France. We don't have the resources to be able to waste 90m on dreck like Maguire who would have cost less than half that were he not previously a PL player. Our model has got to be to identify the talent and physical characteristics that will translate well to the PL. We can't spend like Chelsea, United and City who are happy to pay the PL tax for players who are no more talented than other options from outside the PL.

L3T5 PL4Y

Flair Accuser
Like others have said, PL players are crazy overpriced. Unless there's a particular player we absolutely have to have, we don't really have to buy anyone.

I think in a couple of years we're likely to go after PL players though. Once the deadwood is cleared up and since we aren't that far behind in terms of having a full first 11, if we get within the top 5/6 we'll buy from PL clubs to fill in missing pieces.

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
Our 3 best players by some margin were purchased from Germany, Spain and France. We don't have the resources to be able to waste 90m on dreck like Maguire who would have cost less than half that were he not previously a PL player. Our model has got to be to identify the talent and physical characteristics that will translate well to the PL. We can't spend like Chelsea, United and City who are happy to pay the PL tax for players who are no more talented than other options from outside the PL.

Our three best players now?

There has to be a balance I agree. I forgot about Mane and Van Dijk for Liverpool. At the same time, Chelsea's best players like Cech, Drogba, Essien, Robben, Hazard and others weren't bought from within the league. Likewise, Aguero, yaya toure, David Silva, Kompany, Fernandinho and Ederson for City.

Every player in the squad doesn't need to be local. Yes I acknowledge that most of them are expensive. But at the same time, they understand the league, the culture and are accustomed to the rigors of the league. I get that some players hit the ground running and others need time to get acclimatized. However when you buy a player from within the league, you know what you're going to get unless he can't make the step up to a bigger club.

Batman

Head of the Wayne foundation for benching Nketiah

Player:Saliba
Our three best players now?

There has to be a balance I agree. I forgot about Mane and Van Dijk for Liverpool. At the same time, Chelsea's best players like Cech, Drogba, Essien, Robben, Hazard and others weren't bought from within the league. Likewise, Aguero, yaya toure, David Silva, Kompany, Fernandinho and Ederson for City.

Every player in the squad doesn't need to be local. Yes I acknowledge that most of them are expensive. But at the same time, they understand the league, the culture and are accustomed to the rigors of the league. I get that some players hit the ground running and others need time to get acclimatized. However when you buy a player from within the league, you know what you're going to get unless he can't make the step up to a bigger club.
Yes our 3 best players now: Auba, Partey, Gabriel. Our 3 best players ever, also from outside the league: Henry, Bergkamp, Vieira. I completely understand where you're coming from and I used to share that opinion but the rate at which the cost of doing business within the league has exploded has made me change my mind. We made nearly 70m selling Iwobi and Ox. Can you imagine us spending 70m on 2 players of that level when you can get 2 identical players from Ligue 1 or somewhere for 15m? The reality is that it's all a gamble and if you're buying in the PL it's almost certainly a more expensive gamble because you do run the risk of the player being a big fish in a small pond and then not adapting to increased expectations.

Last edited:

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

Partey and Gabriel have came in and really have had immediate impacts. We'd be paying so much more for PL players in similar position but much lesser quality. Rice isn't as good as Partey yet will cost significantly more. Then look at Ake vs Gabriel. And that was from a team who'd just been relegated. There's simply no value for money in the PL. Also I don't believe too much in the idea of being PL proven tbh. For some, especially really young players, it might be a bit of a shock and take some adaption but for someone like Partey it was never gonna be an issue.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I wanted us to sign Grealish for years, would’ve cost 20M. But that was 5 years or more ago. Not sure many on here would’ve backed that project.

GDeep™

League is very weak
We signed Pepe but we’re paying £2 a year for 30 million years or something. English clubs won’t accept such pay structures.

Arsenal don’t have the balls, money, ambition or sauce needed to sign from within the league.

bingobob

A-M’s Resident Hunskelper
Trusted ⭐

It depends on the player. I wouldn't rush out to buy many. Grealish, Maddison, Ings and Jiminez would be the extent of my buying at the minute.

Weve a good young crop of British players, well English and Tierney, that are use to the pace of the league. Though I think there are plenty of good players in the championship and up in Scotland that if we buy them cheap enough we can loan out and make money on or integrate them into our own squad if they make the expected step up.

The best and easiest way to make money is selling assets. Buy low sell high. If we really want to look at what Chelsea, United and recently Liverpool have been doing its not just buying in the league it's selling within the league.

I was just saying in the matchday thread.

Edu only shops within a certain circle of Agents or in Brazil. I don't think we will sign from PL unless its Brazilian player.

GDeep™

League is very weak
When have Arsenal ever signed top domestic players? Utd and Liverpool have always done that. We’ve brought all our British guys through the youth system or found gems like Wrighty.

Ferguson at Utd used to sign the best player in England every season. Cantona, Ferdinand, Cole, Yorke, Rooney, Keane, wanted Shearer, Vieira etc.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

It’s a gamble, really but it’s all dependant on the scouting system in place as you have to secure these talents early.

Had Emery been given the go ahead and we spunked 80m on Harry Maguire, we definitely would have been the laughing stock of the PL. Over the last few years, we missed the boat on the likes of Maddison, Soyuncu, Grealish, Zaha etc when there wasn’t a lot of hype around them, now their teams will be quoting ridiculous fees.

I don’t see the point in spending a ridiculous amount on these PL players when there’s better value elsewhere in Europe. Maguire went for 80m when someone like Kounde from Sevilla is a much better all round defender than him and Utd could have got him for less had they had good scouts in place.

2Smokeyy

5.0 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ (49)
Trusted ⭐

I was just saying in the matchday thread.

Edu only shops within a certain circle of Agents or in Brazil. I don't think we will sign from PL unless its Brazilian player.

That’s the issue I have.

Not too fussed about whether we target PL players or not but just going for players that Edu prefers is a massive problem. I stick by my point that there was no need to bring in Willian, Mari or Cedric imo.

They were all unnecessary signings.

Top Bottom