• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

We should buy more PL players

squallman

Still Pining for Wenger
When have Arsenal ever signed top domestic players? Utd and Liverpool have always done that. We’ve brought all our British guys through the youth system or found gems like Wrighty.

Ferguson at Utd used to sign the best player in England every season. Cantona, Ferdinand, Cole, Yorke, Rooney, Keane, wanted Shearer, Vieira etc.

Didn't we sign Seaman and Bould?

Ferguson knew the key to success. All of the shouts that we could buy championship players I can agree with. We've done that with Holding and Chambers I think. Although Chambers came from Southampton.

I also think its easier to sell them off because if a player has proven he can compete at a West Ham or Aston Villa's level, those clubs are much more likely to take a punt on them.

I feel like we had very little trouble moving on Walcott for example.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Didn't we sign Seaman and Bould?

Ferguson knew the key to success. All of the shouts that we could buy championship players I can agree with. We've done that with Holding and Chambers I think. Although Chambers came from Southampton.

I also think its easier to sell them off because if a player has proven he can compete at a West Ham or Aston Villa's level, those clubs are much more likely to take a punt on them.

I feel like we had very little trouble moving on Walcott for example.
Ferguson just had the money to sign the best player in the country. Nobody could match him until Mourinho and Roman came.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
A lot of benefits when you buy from within the league, look at the impact someone like Campbell had straight away for us.

Comes down to money now though, every Premiership team is disgustingly loaded with cash.

tcahill

Players from within the PL cost essentially double what they're worth. And while some of the risks associated with an overseas player are mitigated, buying domestically still doesn't guarantee the player will do well.

As someone else said earlier, I think we should be looking more in the Championship though. There are some bargains to be had there and the players are already settled in England and used to more physical football. Players like Maddison, Robertson, Maguire at Hull etc.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
We signed Pepe but we’re paying £2 a year for 30 million years or something. English clubs won’t accept such pay structures.

Arsenal don’t have the balls, money, ambition or sauce needed to sign from within the league.

I'd rather spend £45M on Partey than £70M on Ndidi.

I'd rather spend £25M on Gabriel than £80M on Maguire.

A president has been set. City signed Walker for £50M. Now every full back in the league seems to go for £40-50M to other PL clubs. Maguire went for £80M. PL clubs will charge extortionate amounts for their top CB's.

I'd rather spend £80M on a player abroad than £80M on Grealish for example.

Buying from within the league is now borderline pointless.

GDeep™

League is very weak
I'd rather spend £45M on Partey than £70M on Ndidi.

I'd rather spend £25M on Gabriel than £80M on Maguire.

A president has been set. City signed Walker for £50M. Now every full back in the league seems to go for £40-50M to other PL clubs. Maguire went for £80M. PL clubs will charge extortionate amounts for their top CB's.

I'd rather spend £80M on a player abroad than £80M on Grealish for example.

Buying from within the league is now borderline pointless.
I agree.

RunTheTrap

Kai Havertz Offense League
While I agree that buying within the league is expensive, there are still some great bargains to be found. Liverpool missing out on Werner but then signing Jota for £20 million less may turn out to be the better signing. Plus, you can still get ripped off buying overseas too, so just like in real life, you just have to look hard enough and you can always find better value for money.
I think we may struggle to sign the big name Premier League names like Grealish, Zaha, Rice etc unless we have Champions League funds. However, we shouldn’t turn our noses on the lesser known names like Bissouma, McGinn, Fleck etc.

bonzka

Premier League is too rich for selling players. Our last two serious signings appear to be foreign bangers. Go where the bangers are.

Rasmi

Negative Nancy

Perfect exampleis ben chillwell whi is a good player going for 50 million. Tierney went for 25 and reguilon for 27 million and both are better players than him

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

It's not the players based in the premier League we've been missing out on these days but actually getting them before they are known here like we used to do. Gabriel and Tierney looks a step in the right direction towards that again.
The likes of Mane, Ndidi and Tielemans are all players we would have possibly identified and signed before they came to England in the past.
I imagine the scouting departments of other clubs have really improved in the foreign market in the years since Wenger first came here. Particularly at clubs like Leicester.

MikelHadADream

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
As mentioned the problem is they're so expensive. The only current premier league players I'd want at the club that we could possibly get are Lamptey and Grealish.

If do think though that signing a player that has performed in tbe league is a massive benefit though, wish we'd done it more over the years. Imagine we had gotten Vardy over Lacazette, Kante over Xhaka for example...

GDeep™

League is very weak
It's not the players based in the premier League we've been missing out on these days but actually getting them before they are known here like we used to do. Gabriel and Tierney looks a step in the right direction towards that again.
The likes of Mane, Ndidi and Tielemans are all players we would have possibly identified and signed before they came to England in the past.
I imagine the scouting departments of other clubs have really improved in the foreign market in the years since Wenger first came here. Particularly at clubs like Leicester.
We had a scout who highlighted Cesc, Lauren, Tierney, Martinelli, RvP etc but we just sacked him.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We had a scout who highlighted Cesc, Lauren, Tierney, Martinelli, RvP etc but we just sacked him.
Yeah that doesn't help either. The Grealish example you gave is a good one as well. Obviously we wouldn't hit on every one but there is players in the championship who go on to be stars like him and Maddison that we should take chances on more often.
It's not like we haven't attempted it either with Walcott, Ox, etc.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
My nan could have scouted Cesc and RvP ffs. You hate Martinelli and Tierney as well, yet you use them as a stick to beat the club with. The bum had to go lad.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I wanted us to sign Grealish for years, would’ve cost 20M. But that was 5 years or more ago. Not sure many on here would’ve backed that project.
You and your mates would have complained until he was out of the club before he could show the form he’s showing now had he come 5 years ago.

Aston Villa is why he is the player today.
Dortmund is why Sancho is what he is today.
Werder Bremen and Hoffenheim is why Gnabry is what he is today (not Arsenal).

They were left to develop in peace not under the burden of whingey, moany, d*ckhead fans.

GDeep™

League is very weak
My nan could have scouted Cesc and RvP ffs. You hate Martinelli and Tierney as well, yet you use them as a stick to beat the club with. The bum had to go lad.
Lauren? There were others too. Utd turned down Martinelli.

GDeep™

League is very weak
You and your mates would have complained until he was out of the club before he could show the form he’s showing now had he come 5 years ago.

Aston Villa is why he is the player today.
Dortmund is why Sancho is what he is today.
Werder Bremen and Hoffenheim is why Gnabry is what he is today (not Arsenal).

They were left to develop in peace not under the burden of whingey, moany, d*ckhead fans.
I always backed the young players - Ramsey, Jack, Nasri, Ade etc. Was always a fan of the youth projects.

Grealish was a personal thing anyway, very local to me, always liked him, watched him live regularly.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I always backed the young players - Ramsey, Jack, Nasri, Ade etc. Was always a fan of the youth projects.

Grealish was a personal thing anyway, very local to me, always liked him, watched him live regularly.
I was wrong to say you. You know what I mean though, you’d be writing essays every week on here when fans are incapable of seeing the potential.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Pepe over Wilf was a miss. I have doubts whether a team with two players who offer next to nothing in build up play or pressing can win in 2020.

Wilf is what we’ve missed for years and looking at his goal and assist numbers tells you half the story.

Otherwise it’s difficult, I’ve wanted us to sign Grealish from before summer 2019 tbh. However Villa weren’t going to sell him once they’d been promoted and after they’d avoided the drop.

Maybe the club should be looking at the likes of Buendia and Cantwell come January.

Top Bottom