• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

We should buy more PL players

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
In fairness after some scouts had gone we've signed a flurry of talent for the under 23's and such. Not sure its a big issue sacking some scouts who deliver 50/50.

GDeep™

League is very weak
Pepe over Wilf was a miss. I have doubts whether a team with two players who offer next to nothing in build up play or pressing can win in 2020.

Wilf is what we’ve missed for years and looking at his goal and assist numbers tells you half the story.

Otherwise it’s difficult, I’ve wanted us to sign Grealish from before summer 2019 tbh. However Villa weren’t going to sell him once they’d been promoted and after they’d avoided the drop.

Maybe the club should be looking at the likes of Buendia and Cantwell come January.
But we signed Pepe because it allowed a favourable pay structure I think. Zaha was simply too expensive.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

But we signed Pepe because it allowed a favourable pay structure I think. Zaha was simply too expensive.

Most clubs let you pay instalments and we didn’t really test Palace.

Offered 45M I think and in reality if we put the same fee forward for Wilf as Pepe the deal gets done imo.

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Grealish and Maddison are the only English players we should be looking at.

I’d green light spending a hefty chunk/the whole budget on one of those two. Especially Grealish.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Most clubs let you pay instalments and we didn’t really test Palace.

Offered 45M I think and in reality if we put the same fee forward for Wilf as Pepe the deal gets done imo.
Lol palace were adamant, I remember the reports where they clearly told us to gtfo. We offered £52 mil upfront plus clauses eventually leading to 60-70 mil but it was 80 upfront or nothing.

G-Deep is right, Pepe allowed instalments and fell in line with our strategy of recruiting young (Guendouzi, Torreira, Tierney, Saliba, Gabriel, Aouar - all younger than 25 before they came to the club or tried to sign).

Wilf is kinda done sadly. Might get 1 season at a top 4 club at the end of his contract but safe to say Man U was the peak for him.

Last edited:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Furthermore, reason why Zaha fee is so high is that sell on clause from Man Utd is still active, 25%.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...fried-Zaha-clause-Crystal-Palace-Jadon-Sancho

While his performance saw many United supporters query whether the club have a buyback clause, it was former manager Louis van Gaal who decided against the ploy five years ago.

Ed Woodward did in fact negotiate a 25 percent sell-on clause though, meaning United will net a significant chunk of any potential transfer fee in the future.

His age plus that particular clause, yeah he’s pretty much black balled and retiring at Palace.

This is why we don’t sign prem players btw :lol:

razörist

Soft With The Ladies, Hard With The Mes

Grealish and Maddison are the only English players we should be looking at.

I’d green light spending a hefty chunk/the whole budget on one of those two. Especially Grealish.
Only Grealish, Maddison is not on his level.

Reactions: roz

kash2

More Consistent Than Arteta
Every single great side was built from buying within the league. I am not saying that all the buys listed below were fantastic, just that from all of the evidence it is clear that buying premiership players helps lead to success.

City- Nasri, Adebayor, Clichy, Sagna, Barry, Delph, Kolo Toure

Chelsea- Lampard, Cole

United- Carrick, Rooney, Judas, Ferdinand, Keane, Cantona

Liverpool- Wjinaldum, Henderson

I know that we've bought players from other PL clubs but by and large I feel like we haven't to the same extent as other clubs have. They have generally bought players within their prime to build their squad around. We've bought stop gaps or guys at the end of their careers. I think any good rebuild has to be centered around players who are experienced in the premiership and know what is required.

you forgot the biggest example - Mane

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

Lol palace were adamant, I remember the reports where they clearly told us to gtfo. We offered £52 mil upfront plus clauses eventually leading to 60-70 mil but it was 80 upfront or nothing.

G-Deep is right, Pepe allowed instalments and fell in line with our strategy of recruiting young (Guendouzi, Torreira, Tierney, Saliba, Gabriel, Aouar - all younger than 25 before they came to the club or tried to sign).

Wilf is kinda done sadly. Might get 1 season at a top 4 club at the end of his contract but safe to say Man U was the peak for him.

I know they wanted 80M but I don’t think they wanted it up front. It’s rare for clubs to pay that money up front.

Buying players from Bilbao and Atletico in one go are the exception rather than the standard.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I think I'd still rather sign Aouar and a £30M LW than Grealish for £80M ngl.

I do like Grealish but after signing that contract he's essentially done a Zaha.

say yes

forum master baiter
No value in buying from the prem. Need to buy homegrown from the championship and then bully the big farmer leagues for top tier talent.

Moah

Pepe over Wilf was a miss. I have doubts whether a team with two players who offer next to nothing in build up play or pressing can win in 2020.

Wilf is what we’ve missed for years and looking at his goal and assist numbers tells you half the story.

Otherwise it’s difficult, I’ve wanted us to sign Grealish from before summer 2019 tbh. However Villa weren’t going to sell him once they’d been promoted and after they’d avoided the drop.

Maybe the club should be looking at the likes of Buendia and Cantwell come January.
I doubt if Wilf would succeed under Arteta. I don't think he is the right profile for his structure of play. As we can clearly see, Arteta doesn't like high risk high reward type of players.

HairSprayGooners

My brother posted it ⏩
I doubt if Wilf would succeed under Arteta. I don't think he is the right profile for his structure of play. As we can clearly see, Arteta doesn't like high risk high reward type of players.

Özil would completely ruin the work rate/balance of the team we use. Pepe only sometimes tracks back 24/7, Willian does it constantly. You can be a high risk player with drive, aggression and work rate. Which is what Wilf would offer as well as the quality the other end.

Rex Stone

Long live the fighters
Trusted ⭐

I think he’d be elite in our set up because it’s not too dissimilar to what he’s in at Palace.

He’s one of the best in the world if you go by the numbers at creating off the dribble and beating his man.

Difference is that he’d be playing with Aubameyang rather than Jordan Ayew or Batshuayi.

Only Grealish, Maddison is not on his level.

They’re different players tbf but Maddison is elite imo.

Got a better range of passing than Grealish I’d say. He’s just struggled with injuries this year which is why he hasn’t done as much.

I’ve always rated Grealish incredibly highly but Maddison is in the conversation for sure.

Macho

Dusted 🔻

I know they wanted 80M but I don’t think they wanted it up front. It’s rare for clubs to pay that money up front.

Buying players from Bilbao and Atletico in one go are the exception rather than the standard.
We had a budget of 45 mil and we offered that, plus add ons. That 25% sell on is a big deal, meant if we paid Palace outright, they only got 60M. Our deals were never going to cut it.

I know Arsenal fans often look at stuff in regret but it was never happening unfortunately and Zaha isn't going anywhere until he's 29 or early 30's sadly (I dunno how long this contract is).

Given his free role at Palace I reaaaaaaally really have doubts that he would work under Arteta. Fans would just point to his single digit returns in goals and assists at the end of the season and call him a flop anyways. I'd have loved him here though.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Furthermore, reason why Zaha fee is so high is that sell on clause from Man Utd is still active, 25%.

https://www.express.co.uk/sport/foo...fried-Zaha-clause-Crystal-Palace-Jadon-Sancho

His age plus that particular clause, yeah he’s pretty much black balled and retiring at Palace.

This is why we don’t sign prem players btw :lol:

Palace are punishing Zaha for they themselves agreeing to that ridiculous clause...this is why players have to make transfers ugly sometimes, as clubs will shaft them otherwise...think of the all that Wilf has done for Palace, kinda disgusting how Palace have held his career back asking for absurd money.

Can't believe Zaha signed that extension a while ago :lol:

Macho

Dusted 🔻

Can't believe Zaha signed that extension a while ago :lol:
It was a very bad contract he signed and I believe after the Arsenal deal fell through he changed agents, but I could be mixing up my players.

We will see this kind of saga again with Grealish and Saint-Maximin when they hit 27/28 and want that move to a CL club and the club slaps a huge fee on them.

Clubs would pay 100m for a 23 year old, but not a player close to 30.

Hopefully they have clauses that we don't know about to allow a reasonable transfer to a bigger club when the time comes, but Prem clubs don't tend to do that.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom