• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

We should buy more PL players

Manberg

Predator
Leicester bought Maddison for £20m and he became an instant success over there, now worth over £70m.
Southampton signed Ings for £18m only last year.

We need to sign those players who are relatively cheap but can make a huge, instant impact.

TornadoTed

Established Member
Leicester bought Maddison for £20m and he became an instant success over there, now worth over £70m.
Southampton signed Ings for £18m only last year.

We need to sign those players who are relatively cheap but can make a huge, instant impact.

Neither of those examples were anywhere near that clear cut, there were pretty big risks attached to both players.

Maddison was signed from the Championship where he was the 3rd best player in the division behind Neves and Sessegnon. When you look at how Sessegnon has struggled there was no guarantee that he would make the step up.

Ings has always been a really good player but he had major injury problems and played around 40 games in 4 years before transferring to Southampton. There were huge question marks over whether he would be able to stay fit and get back to the player he was in his early 20's.

Sure there are bargains to be had if you are willing to gamble but gamblers don't always win. Low risk transfers between Premier League clubs have become too expensive to make it a serious transfer strategy in my opinion.

Manberg

Predator
Neither of those examples were anywhere near that clear cut, there were pretty big risks attached to both players.

Maddison was signed from the Championship where he was the 3rd best player in the division behind Neves and Sessegnon. When you look at how Sessegnon has struggled there was no guarantee that he would make the step up.

Ings has always been a really good player but he had major injury problems and played around 40 games in 4 years before transferring to Southampton. There were huge question marks over whether he would be able to stay fit and get back to the player he was in his early 20's.

Sure there are bargains to be had if you are willing to gamble but gamblers don't always win. Low risk transfers between Premier League clubs have become too expensive to make it a serious transfer strategy in my opinion.

The answer is smart scouting. Not just analysing a player’s performances but also judging how well he’d slot into current or future setups. If you’re sure a player is going to do well, it lessens that risk.

There are also many players that have stagnated at PL clubs, taken a year or two abroad, and done well enough that a different PL club buys them. Salah and De Bruyne are two very good examples of that. They still have that PL experience.

TornadoTed

Established Member
The answer is smart scouting. Not just analysing a player’s performances but also judging how well he’d slot into current or future setups. If you’re sure a player is going to do well, it lessens that risk.

There are also many players that have stagnated at PL clubs, taken a year or two abroad, and done well enough that a different PL club buys them. Salah and De Bruyne are two very good examples of that. They still have that PL experience.

Yes I agree smart scouting is very important. I am just very wary of Premiership transfers these days. Players always seem to either to be way overpriced, Tierney vs Chilwell or Gabriel vs Maguire for example or have large risk attached. Maddison and Ings could just as easily be on loan in the Championship after failed transfers.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

I love when fans talk like buy low, sell high is so easy - or act like the club wouldn’t love to do that.

That’s the main reason we don’t sign from prem anyways. We’ve sacked our scouts now so it’s not even possible.

We’ve done it ourselves with Guendouzi, Torreira, Gabriel, Martinelli, Tierney are recent examples of us spending around the 20-25 mil mark or less and they’ve all made an immediate impact (even if some didn’t work out). Harder to do that domestically.

Mrs Bergkamp

Double Dusted
Dusted 🔻
Within the PL, we've bought Sol, Jeffers, Theo, Ox, Chambers and Holding and then there's rejects like Silvestre, Gallas, Luiz, Cech and Cedric. Apart from Sol who was free many years ago, I'd have few regrets if the others had never worn our shirt. We bought promise (unfulfilled), rejects and pensioners. We need to buy the best we can afford, from anywhere.

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
Within the PL, we've bought Sol, Jeffers, Theo, Ox, Chambers and Holding and then there's rejects like Silvestre, Gallas, Luiz, Cech and Cedric. Apart from Sol who was free many years ago, I'd have few regrets if the others had never worn our shirt. We bought promise (unfulfilled), rejects and pensioners. We need to buy the best we can afford, from anywhere.

Arteta-3.jpg

ThisFather

Fan of Alpha Males
There are some obvious buys. Like when you look at Jota. Even I could have told you a year ago he is a buy at all costs type of player. Somehow no one went for him apart from Liverpool which leaves me baffled. Whenever I saw him play I genuinely thought hes a baller.

Now its Grealish. Everyone knows he is a very good player. Yet everyones just staring. Someone will end up snapping him for 20-30mill and may be worth twice that soon after.

Manberg

Predator
Now its Grealish. Everyone knows he is a very good player. Yet everyones just staring. Someone will end up snapping him for 20-30mill and may be worth twice that soon after.

Grealish has been attracting interest for a few years now. The suspicion’s always been that he’s out of our price range. The usual overpriced English players.

grange

Losing my brain cells 🥸

Player:Havertz
Welbeck bailing us out against Leicester the year we should've won the title brought me sheer joy. Miss him.

Newchange

Neto at Wolves should be on our radar next summer. Direct, tenacious and a goalscorer from the wings. Pepes days are numbered

Top Bottom