• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Welcome To Arsenal Ben White

Riou

In The Winchester, Waiting For This To Blow Over

Player:Gabriel
If probably would have cost even more to get Dunk, tbh...could have been close to double what we paid for White, he's a massive player for Brighton.

I wanted us to sign Big Lewis in 2017, after I first noticed him against us...made a good couple of last minute clearances of the line, and the way he played you could tell he had the ability to play for a "bigger team"

OnlyOne

‘Donkeys don’t have a peak, they remain useless’
Trusted ⭐

Never understood these guys that want to baby footballers, they can handle some online trolls they know what comes with the territory.
Exactly, they get called all sorts at the game, when they get home it’s the same.

Tir Na Nog

Changes Opinion Every 5 Minutes

It's what they get paid big bucks for. As Dennis Rodman said 'I play basketball for free, I get paid for all the other bullshit' I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. He should've stayed at Brighton if he wanted to be small time, he's playing with the big boys now.

This is the thing tho, I don't think White is that guy. I don't think he has what it takes to be the calibre of defender or the personality to really succeed. I mean he looked completely out of his depth against a championship forward pairing basically. Hope he can prove me wrong but I think he'll sink under the pressure tbh.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
This is the thing tho, I don't think White is that guy. I don't think he has what it takes to be the calibre of defender or the personality to really succeed. I mean he looked completely out of his depth against a championship forward pairing basically. Hope he can prove me wrong but I think he'll sink under the pressure tbh.
We pay way too much money for players who ain't done sh*t that's for sure.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Give him a chance lads bloody hell :lol:
Pump has his reasons but it’s a bit too soon for all this no?

People still talk about Holding not jumping for Sterling's goal, wonder if White is gonna be held to the same standard.
I can’t speak for the fanbase but all the pundits and analysts on tv have been ripping him a new one.

Carragher pretty much said every team should play long balls onto his head. Id say he’s held under a certain scrutiny because of his price tag and just being at Arsenal.

For the record, I would have stuck with Saliba and Holding and spent that money elsewhere, I don’t really understand what Arteta and Edu are doing with this.

BigPoppaPump

I can’t speak for the fanbase but all the pundits and analysts on tv have been ripping him a new one.

Carragher pretty much said every team should play long balls onto his head. Id say he’s held under a certain scrutiny because of his price tag and just being at Arsenal.

For the record, I would have stuck with Saliba and Holding and spent that money elsewhere, I don’t really understand what Arteta and Edu are doing with this.
Yeah you're right tbh, I'm trying to stop being so harsh on players under the Arteta regime. But like I said this is what happens when you play for Arsenal and Ben White is gonna have to deal with it, in Brighton no one cares if you lose at Arsenal it's front page news. Even sacking our mascot sent the world into frenzy.

Riou

I feel, for at least a little while, we should play a 3 at the back, just to try and get the best out of him...especially with our current group of CBs.

He will have to play Toney, Lukaku and probably Kane...all in his first 3 games, and all with probably Mari beside him.

Macho

In search of Pure Profit 💸
Dusted 🔻

Yeah you're right tbh, I'm trying to stop being so harsh on players under the Arteta regime. But like I said this is what happens when you play for Arsenal and Ben White is gonna have to deal with it, in Brighton no one cares if you lose at Arsenal it's front page news. Even sacking our mascot sent the world into frenzy.
We're gonna have to buy another CB you know :lol:

That's the worst bit about this signing. Luiz ability to play out the back has been replaced, but his leadership, experience, aggression and willingness to header the ball out was not.

For as much stick as he got, Luiz won the majority of his duels, he was quite macho which went unnoticed because of his clown reputation. He was right to go, but we didn't recruit properly.

Our eldest CB is probably Mari? with Holding following - for that position that's not good especially when compared to almost every team in the league. The sooner we return to 3 at the back for these lads sake, the better.

BigPoppaPump

We're gonna have to buy another CB you know :lol:

That's the worst bit about this signing. Luiz ability to play out the back has been replaced, but his leadership, experience, aggression and willingness to header the ball out was not.

For as much stick as he got, Luiz won the majority of his duels, he was quite macho which went unnoticed because of his clown reputation. He was right to go, but we didn't recruit properly.

Our eldest CB is probably Mari? with Holding following - for that position that's not good especially when compared to almost every team in the league. The sooner we return to 3 at the back for these lads sake, the better.
I wouldn't be surprised we buy a new CB every transfer window. But I know one CB we still have that won majority of his duels, is great at heading, had a 70% tackle success rate, 0 red card or errors leading to goal and great passing stats. But people don't seem to like him for some reason.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
A big problem for our Centre Backs is that we don't have a leader there. Someone that can coach the young lads like White, Gabriel (Saliba) or even Holding. Someone like Thiago Silva would have been great. I can't name someone else on the top of my head now though.

Riou

A big problem for our Centre Backs is that we don't have a leader there. Someone that can coach the young lads like White, Gabriel (Saliba) or even Holding. Someone like Thiago Silva would have been great. I can't name someone else on the top of my head now though.

It's why I want to go 3 at the back now...we don't have that real leader figure in our backline atm, so another CB back there takes the pressure away from the other 2.

We are just setting our defenders up to fail these days.

albakos

Arséne Wenger: "I will miss you"
Administrator

Player:Saka
Someone like Chiellini for example, not that he'd come here, but an example of leadership which is similar to Silva.

MauveGunner

Player:Rice
It's why I want to go 3 at the back now...we don't have that real leader figure in our backline atm, so another CB back there takes the pressure away from the other 2.

We are just setting our defenders up to fail these days.
For some reason I'm not a big fan of a back 3, don't know why.

AberGooner

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

None of our CB's are experienced enough at this level really.

Putting their abilities to the side going into this season you had:
White, 1 season in the division playing 36 games in a back 3.
Pablo Mari, 10 games in the league.
Gabriel, 23 games.
Even Rob Holding, who's been here a long time now only completed his first 30 game league season in the one just past.

I'm sure it's been a massive help in the developments of the likes of Gomez and Fofana to have experienced pros like Evans and Van Dijk next to them during a game.

GunnerShy

I don't want to be harsh on White either. But I was strongly in the camp of develop the player we have and spend it in midfield.

Question with White is, what was the attraction? Yes he's a decent passer and has pace but not outrageously so. Also there's red flags all over the place. Undersized, aerially suspect, back 3. One premier league season.

That might not rule him out, but it doesn't make him a £50m player surely?

Barry

Definitely Not An Old Poster
It's what they get paid big bucks for. As Dennis Rodman said 'I play basketball for free, I get paid for all the other bullshit' I'm paraphrasing but it was something like that. He should've stayed at Brighton if he wanted to be small time, he's playing with the big boys now.
That's a great quote, love it

Legend14

Established Member
Let’s give Ben White a chance. I am sure he is adjusting to his teammates and the formation. Again, not his fault we paid 50m and we need him to perform well.

Seems he has walked into the negativity storm.

Top Bottom