• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger hints at Kanu deal

what do you think about Kanu

• stay

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • go away

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

arsenal4life

Wenger hints at Kanu deal

Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger said Kanu may stay at the club next season.
The Nigeria striker is out of contract at the end of the season and has yet to discuss a new deal with the club.

Young France striker Jeremie Aliadiere has emerged at Highbury this season, but Wenger has been impressed with the recent form of 27-year-old Kanu.

"Kanu is playing well at the moment and could still be here next year, his future will be in decided in April or May," said Wenger.

Kanu, who joined the Gunners for £4.5m from Inter Milan in 1999, has found first-team opportunities limited at the club this season.

The Nigeria striker will soon be joining up with his international team-mates for the African Cup of Nations.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/footbal ... 333351.stm

Mark

Established Member
if he continues to play like he is now he could be a useful squad player. but with him we can never know for certain whether he will continue to play well.

GoonerGurjit

Established Member
Mark said:
if he continues to play like he is now he could be a useful squad player. but with him we can never know for certain whether he will continue to play well.

Agreed. When he's on form, he's a handful for any defence.

Jinn

Established Member
That's the thing though. When his future's all settled, will we see the return of lazy Kanu?

arsenal4life

ExiledInNewcastle said:
Get rid. Been a passenger for far too long now. Finally when he needs to play for a new contract he's performing. Not what we want!

ya that's it
and we really need a full-time strikers not a part-time ones

A

Anonymous

I personally would give him a new contract. he offers us something that many others cant.

But i think it would be a mistake to give him a long term contract, as this would put him back into his comfort zone. I think a one/two year contract would be a good idea, as he would know he would have to perform straight away.
But if he would accept this type on contract is another story.

Adam

Established Member
Stay. He has shown a desire for the club this season and has raised his performance.

wellman69

he's good now, but once the form goes or the dry patch comes, what do we do then??? he's playing well but he's still not scoring the important goals - ie. league goals and euro goals..........

i really do think that if wiltord goes, kanu will stay, and if wiltord stays, kanu will go......

G-F

I think what stands between Kanu and a new contract extension is his form. The only reason why this wasn't discussed earlier is because Kanu was utter ****e last season.

Yes he has significantly raised his game this season and yes he deserves a new contract based on this form. Lets see if he can keep it up but losing him for the African Nations does not help.

Andrew

Undecided on this one. He can play well and is at the moment. But he hasn't really set the world on fire and could block a promising striker from making the team. I'd say I'm slightly leaning towards letting him go, but I won't vote on that. Let's see what he has done at the end of the season and then decide.

Andrew

siddharth said:
Time for kanu and silly wiltord to show the exit door :arrow:
We have had enough of them :thumbdown

I don't think anyone can knock Kanu for his commitment to the team cause this season. It's a bit harsh just to show him the exit door. Wiltord is a different story, if the media has got it right.

lewdikris

Established Member
He needs to go. He's just too awkward a proposition for our system, however well he's been playing, and too too inconsistent.

Webdesignlab

Established Member
I'm a big fan of Kanu's but as good as he is at the moment, I just feel he will be back to his old self very soon (as soon as the contract is signed).

I was really happy to see him score in the CC and no doubt that the first goal against WBA started with his runnung accross pitch to tackle some WBA bloke and pass it over to Lauren and Wiltord where the pass came from for Kanu to score. He served it up and also scored.

However, we really need some new spirit next to Henry and Kanu ain't it.

A

Anonymous

this silly git is playing for a contract. kick the git out and a decent player

how on earth are we going to kill teams when we have **** in kanu, wiltord , jeffers and bergkamp

Adam

Established Member
I've said this before - he is a big game performer and he is prepared to be a sub. His attitude is top notch in that sense. If he signs on lower wages, we should go for it. Who else who has his talent is prepared to be benched?

If he shows desire when he needs to then that's the perfect formula for a sub. Comes in for injured players and performs (because he has to in order to nail a place) at the same time as being happy on the bench. He then, inevitably, returns to the bench. And he is happy with it.

It's a cycle. Kanu comes in, does well when he needsto, then he goes back on the bench till next year or the next time he's needed (i.e/ big game). He is a laid back character happy with this. Maybe one day he thinks to himself "why don't i perform consistently so i can be an automatic starter?".

He has performed for us this year against Inter, in 01/02 against United and Liverpool.

Whether it's a big game at United, Liverpool or Chelsea - he doesn't let the team down. He is a brilliant sub.

So, my friends, keep him for as long as he will stand it (or sit it heh)

Latest posts

Top Bottom