• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger & Pires: No new year signings

Arsenal316

I say we only need one forward. I say this only because Kanu is going away for the Africa Nations Cup, so we'll need somebody to replace him for the time being. Besides, the schedule is going to get more hectic with CL, EPL, CC, and FA Cup mataches in the coming months.

I think one of three people are coming. Rivaldo, Eto, or Reyes. I would take the last two only because they can play in the CL, Rivaldo can't.

orion

I think Pennant and Voltz would be as good as new additions to the squad as both have what it takes to make an impact, but I actually think they might continue thier loan spells. I would prefer to see at least Pennant back as our options on the flanks are very short with Wiltord out of form. Freddie and Bobby just can't keep playing every single game and with Champions League action in February we will need more resources.

Most of all we are in need of a goal scoring stiker up front, but if we can't get a right man at a right price we'll just have to make do with what we got and hope that Wiltord and Aliadere can make an impact soon.

jc8gooner

I don't think that Eto'o can play in the Champs league either, Arsenal316, cos he has played in the UEFA this season with Real Mallorca. PLus, he has to go the African Nations Cup like Kanu.

johe

Goonergurjit said:
johe said:
Well, Gio is still a part of it. Would be a shame to see him leave though, he sure is a quality footballer, but had some injury problems during his time with us. If he goes, I hope it wont be too cheaply.

Just a thought, we could use Gio on the left flank, and Pires on the right?

I don't think Gio would be much use on the left. He's more of a crosser and everyone knows thats one thing we don't do much.

If we get a striker (in the summer) who can head the ball decently, it might work, although I wouldn't want him to disrupt our style of play, just give us another option.

reggiepaul

What most of you should try to do is see discussion as it is without getting so aggressive and insulting. If you can't think of a counter argument for someone's you have been proved wrong. Counter argue and stick to the script instead of making things up.

What exactly do you want this striker for and what will he do for us.

He will cost money.

What makes me laugh about this thread is how, like most internet messageboards, people think they can justify a miserable imagining (like "we can't do well without a strike partner for henry") and then aggressively justify something when our situation is very good with the players we already have.

Verbose

There is nothing complicated when I say wanting a new striker is innacurate. You should try to read what I write instead of claiming it to be verbose. I have worked with many teachers, tutors and supervisors over the years and verbose is a term innacurately used here. The term verbose is originally and accurately related not to the over use of words, but the exaggerated phrasing of words used mainly in technical books and informative guides. You see the difference here? You are using it to justify the negativity with which you speak where as linguistics created this word to express a linguistical analysis on subcultural, psycholinguistical levels. My point is words that you use are born of your own negativity.

Which leads me on to this further negativity of collective negation of a scenario that doesn't exist. The want of a player.

Striker talk

Look at Manchester United and many other clubs. They have less strikers. The idea of Kanu's passport is a stupid excuse basically. I love it how you ignore a lot of what I say and then just throw around criticism and indirected insults to justify your cause. What also surprises me JGooner is how you also try create a us vs them ideal (for you) saying "i concur with lewdikris". The problem with this is you don't have your own train of thought. As you have done before you want to create a negative atmosphere and basically hurl abuse indirectly and unsettle members. Sorry but it's blatantly obvious. A shame around christmas as well you have nothing better to do than hurl abuse and have this type of mind :roll:

Modern teams

Teams are built from the midfield out. Strikers are no longer the new idols of the game but midfield players are because all teams build their teams from midfield out and push oppositions further upfield. Our recent transfer rumours have revolved around buying a new midfield player.

JGooner said:
I concur with lewdikris. This is a blindingly simple issue, and it doesn’t need to be complicated by a bunch of pretentious gobbledegook from someone who thinks verbosity equals insight.

Pretentious? Gobbledegook?

Why? Since I see things in the team you don't see? Since I am more realistic on our team situation?

You say gobbledegook yet you still understand what I am saying?

Sorry mate, I can't live up to your inability to comprehend English and insulting your betters for your own failings. Get a life.

If it is a simple issue why are you fussing about wanting a new "striker". That's all you keep saying over and over again. You not only complicate an issue but you also make it vague, confusing and lacking substance. What exactly do youwant? If you read my posts I state directly the type of player we need and why. You on the other hand would like to just make up an argument (that no longer exists), put words in peoples mouths (which they no longer say) and just cause problems.

I said we need a player but not exactly need him fully. You fail to see I am simplifying matters, your complicating them without any accurate reasoning.

I have counter argued everything you have said previously. Come back to me when you can counter argue me.

JGooner said:
Bergkamp is 34, has been in decline for years and scores once every few months. Kanu is almost always ineffectual and has a similarly bad strike rate. Wilturd just isn’t good enough and lacks commitment. All three of these are out of contract in 2004. It would be insane for the club to give new contracts to all three of these declining thirty-somethings (Kanu’s official age is a joke – Nigerian birth certificates are generally not worth the paper they are printed on), so you’d have to assume that some, and possibly all, of them will go. Beyond that, what’s left in the way of strike partners for Henry? Jeffers, who is not good enough. And various kids (Bentley, Aliadiere, Papadopolous, Karbassiyoon) at various stages of development.

So what if Bergkamp scored once every few months? What does that matter. If you fail to see his impact on the team you fail to see a lot of things.

We have the second highest goals in the premiership. If you want to pee your pants just because a striker isn't scoring them go ahead.

It's better if you acknowledge the great team Wenger plays and not throw around stupid insubstantial statements like "we need a striker" when he have such a massive goal level.

Yes Henry scores them but you have no proof and you will never have any to state nobody will be there to score them if he wasn't around. The reason being, he plays for Arsenal, he is doing his job and panic stricken imaginings are just that with shoddy statements. No analysis.

Oh please - kanu's passport is dodgy. For gods sake - the conspiracy theories site is that way ------>

Ali is a great player. The last time we checked we still have FIVE strikers at the club and many youth strikers who can IF needed do the job. When the situation is different we will look somewhere else.

JGooner said:
If you can look at this situation and conclude that we don’t need to sign another striker, you’re having a laugh.

No one has said this. My point is you will be compensating our current state of play if you were to buy a new striker THAT is why Wenger (better manger than you are even with a few user ID's at the site) doesn't indulge in this and sticks 4-4-1-1 and 4-5-1.

Counter argue this. Most of my posts (even the ones made to jc8gooner, your alter ego) highlight us losing our grip on competition if we are to change this.

If it aint broke don't fix it. First you love Wenger and then you say he is wrong for this?

Please stop trying to "complicate" matters. The simplicity of it is - football is a tough game and you have a manager to solve matters. When a great manager is winning trophies try and realise why instead of saying "I love 4-4-2 and we need a striker".

JGooner said:
There is a persistent habit among some gooners to exaggerate our merits. Yes, we are doing incredibly well and have done so for the past part of a decade. But this doesn’t mean that we can just keep telling ourselves how great we are, and ignore the fact that – like all teams – we have weaknesses that need to be addressed. This is competitive sport, and we are in competition with Chelsea and Man Utd. I don’t want to ruin the party, but can I remind you that we didn’t actually win the league last year? It’s not as if we are an all-conquering monolith – we are a brilliant team that wins a domestic title every few years and generally flops at European level. Now we are aiming to move beyond that, and that can only be achieved by keeping up with our competitors.

Exaggerate merits? Are you trying to justify your own misery as perfect when others see reality.

Teams WILL beat us. That is the nature of football. If you know of a team that has gone endlessly winning games tell me. Look at our position. Look at our situation in Europe. Look at us from youth to senior level. But OH NO we must be in a dire depression of events at the minute because in your MIND we need a striker. We have 4, very good players and working as strikers.

Our competitors have what exactly? Ruud Van Nistelrooy? Barely win games after overloading with strikers? Come on - realistically. Don't just throw around statements expecting people to suck up to everything you say. This politician jibber jabber may work for yourself but you again lack realism.

Let's look at our "competitors and who we have. If you measure strikers - striker to striker - we have some very good strikers at the club. Maybe not in your eyes but your used to depressing and negating everything aren't you JGooner. Bye bye competition.

European competition? Like I said - teams make teams not players.

Work on the defence - and...

Dynamo Kiev? Bye - Locomotiv Moscow? Bye - Inter Milan? 5-1 - Ciao!

JGooner said:
Don’t misunderstand what I’m saying. This is not a criticism of Dein, Wenger of AFC in general. If the money isn’t there, there’s nothing that can be done. My quarrel is not with them but with some ultra-optimistic fans who think we are perfect as we are and don’t need to worry about such grubby activities as signing new players.

Now this is where your quarrel IS with Arsenal.

Your saying your perception of events are realistic while other fans are saying there's are.

The simplicity of it is you want to attack and insult peopel who don't agree with you. God forbid you could enter a sound conversation about this instead of attacking people for having a DIFFERENT opinion on events.

Look at our team. It's bloody brilliant. No we don't win all games but which team does win all their games? Does any?

OH NO we're not winning in Europe. I am sure that divine right to do so isn't working, BUT look at us now? Not doing so bad right? Did we buy this new striker? Nope - maybe Kanu's dodgy passport helped here eh? :wink:

What annoys me about these messageboards is, especially around this time of the year, people still want to find a fight. This discussion had become laid back and eased off as we had reached a point.

Then on christmas eve of all days someone has to throw a spanner in the works. Why? Only he knows as he has done before.

When the timing becomes critical, YES, let's get another striker BUT only if required. A lot of our wins have been bron from this 4-4-1-1 or 4-5-1. I say stick to it and supplement it with a right sided attacking midfield striker type of player who could help Henry.

Pennant didn't look too great against City? And?? I am sure Pennant has made a strong enough mark in MOST games to show how great a player he is.

To end with, the use of the word arrogant. If you think this is a competition to see who is the best on this board I am sorry to say you are in the wrong place. I thought we were here to discuss ideas on a better arsenal not feel upset when someone doesn't think like you.

Merry Christmas.

reggiepaul

...oh yeah sorry if I'm optimistic but :

a) We have a whole host of the greatest players at the club

b) We are moving to a bigger stadium

c) We have just been battering strong European competition and playing them off the park

d) We have strong plans to build with a great youth team

e) Wenger has found a GREAT formation to play by WHICH most European competition play as

f) Our style of play is commended as the best in the world and people think we (as fans) are spoilt.

g) Our players are happy at our club, even our best and WANT to hang around for as long as possible.

...Point being supplement what you have as a team and a formation.

4-4-2 is a victorian sentiment. We learned from the continent and now it's time to understand EXACTLY how Arsenal play and exactly how to supplement it.

jc8gooner

To end with, the use of the word arrogant. If you think this is a competition to see who is the best on this board I am sorry to say you are in the wrong place. I thought we were here to discuss ideas on a better arsenal not feel upset when someone doesn't think like you.

I was merely referring to the fact that you said:

"Andrew states, as I had to state over many posts to jc8gooner (but by the grace of god did), a striker is not the immediate answer to our problems."

I saw this as arrogant.
I do not see the board as a competition in any way.
I am not upset that you don't think like me, as I am sure you are not too upset that I don't agree with you.

No one is criticising you for being optimistic.

First you love Wenger and then you say he is wrong for this?

Too many fans take this view- You cannot say Wenger is wrong yet love him and appreciate all he has done for the club. This, in my honest opinion, is where some of our fans go wrong. Wenger can be criticised-

1)He was wrong to say we could go unbeaten last season
2)He is wrong, I think, to pick Gilberto for every game
3)He was wrong to buy Stepanovs

Just because I can see that Wenger makes mistakes, although they are few and far between, does not mean I do not 'love' Wenger.

many youth strikers who can IF needed do the job.

How do you know that these many youth strikers could do the job? They are all untried and untested at Premiership & European level.

see things in the team you don't see

It is comments such as this which make you appear arrogant.

A

Anonymous

wenger said it again, no one comming in January

major major mistake again from wenger. We definitely need a striker!!!!!

We are now definitely seeing Wengers limitations or should i say stupid stubborness in improving the area where we lack.

While Chelsea and United will add additions we get **** all.

This would be his downfall.

thegame24

Established Member
TBH this post is making me laugh.

there were similar discussions like this in the summer.

half the people here were saying we are doomed if we dont sign anybody blah blah blah.

now look we are second through to the cl 2nd round and unbeaten domestically, like i said it would be back in the summer.

we are still the best team in england and i reckon we may win the cl this year. we DONT need signings, yes they would be very very helpfull BUT WE DONT NEED ANY.

reggiepaul

jc8gooner said:

I was merely referring to the fact that you said:

"Andrew states, as I had to state over many posts to jc8gooner (but by the grace of god did), a striker is not the immediate answer to our problems."

I saw this as arrogant.
I do not see the board as a competition in any way.
I am not upset that you don't think like me, as I am sure you are not too upset that I don't agree with you.

No one is criticising you for being optimistic.

Merely? Claiming someone to be arrogant without any reasoning is hardly mere in anyone's book. The idea of the competition comes from the definition of arrogance. Arrogance being you relating to someone who thinks they know a lot or someone who has a high opinion of themselves. The whole accusation of arrogance goes against the whole point of having messageboards and discussions. I hope you understand what I mean here but if you don't I will explain. I hope you don't see that as arrogant.

So since you use the word arrogance you must immediately see some form of competition here for betters and lessers amongst us. If not, it's an incorrect word to use.

Unlike the majority of posters on discussion boards I take every point an individual would make and counter argue it. This I assume would remove any idea of arrogance or egotism. Why? Since most people only see their own point and keep beating a drum to exercise it (regardless of counter arguments or paying attention to other posters ideas and concepts and trying to address the situation further in a "discussive" manner) I otherwise seek to look at a scenario and place my opinion across based upon the further opinions given.

So, since I counter argue so have respect for others opinions and address my further posts in regards to this and other opinions, any idea of arrogance or egotism isn't there.

As for optimism yes, there is a massive criticism of optimism because the realistic scenario (if we look at the bigger picture of arsenal) is Arsenal are at the highest level of the world game. That's not optimism but realistic, the ideas of optimism are self evident because our realistic situation is so prosperous. So notes of aggressiveness or negation (and disregard) towards realistic ideas are directly a criticism of optimism.

Come on. What are statements worth without reasoning?

jc8gooner said:
First you love Wenger and then you say he is wrong for this?

Too many fans take this view- You cannot say Wenger is wrong yet love him and appreciate all he has done for the club. This, in my honest opinion, is where some of our fans go wrong. Wenger can be criticised-

1)He was wrong to say we could go unbeaten last season
2)He is wrong, I think, to pick Gilberto for every game
3)He was wrong to buy Stepanovs

Just because I can see that Wenger makes mistakes, although they are few and far between, does not mean I do not 'love' Wenger.

Anyone can be criticised. What you fail to miss is that many fans don't seem to see why anyone could justify wanting to criticise him. Look what he has done. Glass is always full.

We all might see Wenger making mistakes. Just because we don't highlight them doesn't mean we don't see something. The reason many fans are optimistic with Wenger is for the track record. We're all happy with the situation at the moment and that's just plain down to the fact we're at such a high level of the game.

He never said we would go beaten all season.

The simplistics in the Wenger scenario I feel can be concluded upon how a person views football and SO what they aim to get from the game. While many fans would enjoy the way things are progressing and not waste precious moments in criticism and negativity - other's can only feel better if they are finding faults.

Yes, problems outline solutions but that is his job and that is what he has been doing for a few years. The other factor I realise here is do these fans think they are better than Wenger. I can "indirectly" state that is arrogance. This man is a footballing genius and some choice people (genetic rejects. joke) are saying look at him for his faults and criticisms and let's throw around negativity. Why?

Sorry I don't understand that. Neither does it make the game more interesting because our team do that very nicely.

Your given 11 players and your called a football supporter. To support. I won't explain that any further for fear of being called "verbose".

jc8gooner said:
many youth strikers who can IF needed do the job.

How do you know that these many youth strikers could do the job? They are all untried and untested at Premiership & European level.

That's the difference in support and what we both define as "the job".

jc8gooner said:
see things in the team you don't see

It is comments such as this which make you appear arrogant.

I thought this whole forum was designed for opinions and express things that others may not have seen? Sorry - you said we needed a striker, I claimed as reasonably and in length my own view of this situation. Am I arrogant for doing that? If that is the case, so are you because you without being reasonable and counter arguing are making statements with no foundation (in textual form anyway).

As much as we can throw around all these statements, insults and petty chracter analysis let's say - the truth will remain that this is about discussion but discussion only expands if different opinions arise. Opinions based upon something that isn't said and expressed by different posters. That isn't arrogance, that's discussion.

JazzG

Established Member
reggiepaul, you really need to go into more details in your posts. They are so short and brief :wink:

Top Bottom