• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger still unwilling to gamble on youth

http://blogfc.com/theblog/index.php?p=222

I tend to agree with this post. If Justin Hoyte is a prospect for the future, why sign Trabelsi, no matter how brilliant he is? the Almunia situation is even worse. It leaves both Taylor & Stack virtually out of the team. and for who? for some unknown Spaniard who played only one season in La Liga and never got into Celta's squad? I don't mean to disrespect the guy, but signing him wasn't necessary. Stuart & Graham both deserved more chances, especially Stack. meanwhile we're losing both players, and next season we will be forced to sign another keeper.

I don't know about Van Persie, it seems he's not exactly a right-winger but more of a forward, but it looks like Pennant will spend most of the time on the bench, and eventually he'll leave.

johe

Leave Wenger alone on this whole gamble on youth thing. If they're good enough, like Ash, Clichy, Ali etc. they're gonna get their chance sooner or later. It seems alot of people think they are finished footballers at the age of 19?? I mean, they could well be 22 or even 23 before they break into the first team. I mean look at our team, it's definetly world class. The only team you see throwin their youngsters about is Manure, but this year they've failed miserably every time they tried.

Gooner83

i am always astranged to wengers dealings, but at the end of the day it all works out fine... he knows what hes doing.

Sigun

just on sky sports

Bob wilson dissipointed/upset that Taylor and Stack will not get a chance to prosper with the recent signing of Alumnia.

He also said that Jens Lehmann was the best goalkeeper in the Premership last season....by a long chalk!! :idea:

(those who dont know...Bob Wilson is Arsenals Goalkeeper coach)

lewdikris

Established Member
Complete toss. Part of the reason Parlour can leave at all is that Pennant's ready to step in to his position as no.2 right midfielder - a vote of confidence if ever i saw one. Taylor and Amulnia will compete for the no.2 spot - and competition makes decent players better.

Lauren will probably not be offered a new contract when Trabelsi arrives and Hoyte - still only 19 and EXTREMELY young for a defender can properly challenge from next year.

nnaife

I disagree strongly with the article.

Lets wait and see what actually happens I think Hoyte is seen more as defensive cover along with Senderos for the central midfield duo while Trabelsi and Lauren well contest the RB position.

We needed another experienced defender despite the young talent coming through cause its a very long drawn out campagin that will take its toll on the squad.

Wenger would not want to be caught out with a lack of experienced resources in the defensive as that could severely hamper our ability to challenge effectively this season.

A

Anonymous

lewdikris said:
Lauren will probably not be offered a new contract when Trabelsi arrives and Hoyte - still only 19 and EXTREMELY young for a defender can properly challenge from next year.

What makes you think that? Lauren was one of our most consistent players last season and would be madness to let him go on a free.

I have been very impressed with Hoyte everytime I have seen him. He is good enough for our first team now imo. That is why I dont see the need for Trabelsi, especailly with the form of Ralph.

Interesting to see Hoyte now being looked at as a possible CB. That makes sense to me. He has grown a hell of a lot in the last year, and is very very quick.

However there is no doubt that Trabelsi is a better player than Hoyte, and if the opportunity comes up to sign a world class defender it would be a mistake to turn it down. Hoyte may turn out not to be good enough.

I am really looking forward to seeing Pennant in some games next year, and I hope Wenger gives him his chance. There is no way Freddie is going to play 50 odd games and I pray Wenger sticks Pennant in and not move Gilberto to the right, or even push Lauren up if we get Trabelsi.

It is make for break for JP next season, as it is for Ali. With no Kanu and Wiltord he should get more of a chance.

Also there is Cesc, Senderos, Clichy, Garry, Smith and Svard who should all get a run out next season, if only in the league cup.

kronik

I think we'll see whether or not Hoyte will be part of Wenger's plans when squad numbers are announced. Surely he'll be given a better number then 45.

nnaife

Sigun said:
just on sky sports

Bob wilson dissipointed/upset that Taylor and Stack will not get a chance to prosper with the recent signing of Alumnia.

He also said that Jens Lehmann was the best goalkeeper in the Premership last season....by a long chalk!! :idea:

(those who dont know...Bob Wilson is Arsenals Goalkeeper coach)

I really do believe Alumina is just a fill in for Stack as he builds up vital match experience at Millwall, Wenger is definitely keeping the door wide open for his young keepers.

He just wants his best young keeper playing matches until the right moment to use him.

KingReyes

Established Member
I disagree with the fact of Wenger not giving youth a chance. Clichy anybody? Only 17 when he made his debut, Vieira in the first team 19/20. The only downpoint from those two names is that they were purchases instead of being brought up from the academy. But my point was that if you are good enough Wenger will give you your chance whatever the age. I feel we will see youth this season, hopefully Pennant,Senderos,Ali and Hoyte will get games. And lets not forget Wenger's trust in playing youngsters like Van Persie, Reyes etc. If Wenger didn't believe in their talent he wouldn't have bought them and the same now goes with Flamini.

beanz

I wonder if Arsène's thinking is this; with regard to Trabelsi, we have some exciting young players who hopefully will be keen to get into the box, so we need someone to provide the crosses from the byeline, which have been missing in the last few years.
Bit of a change in tactics, but perhaps that's what we need to progress further in th CL. :mrgreen:

AFCG7

Established Member
Still , i cannot understand then why he let Moritz Volz go.
We all thought that Moritz was allowed to leave because of Hoyte's emergence... now all of a sudden we are going through for Trabelsi..he is a good player but Volz was one of the best RB in the EPL last season.. so if not HOyte why let Volz go??

patrick42uk

Established Member
if the youngsters are really good enough, accusing Arsène of prejudice against them is accusing him of not having the interests of the club at heart. i dont believe that for one second. wenger has a eye for bargain signings. what better bargain than to introduce a player from your own backyard who effectively costs you nothing? those that have failed are simply not good enough or not ready for the challenge of first team football.

johe

AFCG7 said:
Still , i cannot understand then why he let Moritz Volz go.
We all thought that Moritz was allowed to leave because of Hoyte's emergence... now all of a sudden we are going through for Trabelsi..he is a good player but Volz was one of the best RB in the EPL last season.. so if not HOyte why let Volz go??

Maybe he didn't want to stay and fight for his place, and chose instead to get guaranteed first team football. Or maybe he simply didn't have the determination Wenger likes to see in his young players. Perhaps he wasn't talented enough.

Wenger does many strange things, but it somehow works out nearly every time. Trust him is all I can say.

TB*Gooner*

I feel a lot of youngsters have done enough to get a chance in the first team. Stuart Taylor probably deserves it the most. However it is a fact that AW is a brilliant man and he knows what he's doing. Who can really question his man handling or the starting eleven or him not giving youth a chance when he just lead the club unbeaten trough last season..?

Jose_Reyes_2005

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Our job is not to tell Arsène what to do with his.

We'r not the onez who see the youngsters play everyday in training - he is.

towelie

kronik said:
I think we'll see whether or not Hoyte will be part of Wenger's plans when squad numbers are announced. Surely he'll be given a better number then 45.

when are squad numbers announced?

shaz

the thing about keepers is that alot of the mature when theyre a bit older. there are some exceptions, but even then they are BRILLIANT keepers, casillas at madrid, whilst i think is a decent keeper, isnt world class (hey dont cuss me its my opinion :mrgreen: ).

im sure when the time comes for the youth players to be in the first team, stack and taylor would have ripened by then and will definately be there.

ill be willing to bet, that wenger would have loaned out out taylor as well to make sure he gets experience, but he cant just have two keepers, and perhaps the reason why stack when is because he has more pontential. someone mentioned this in another thread, and i agree.

also, agree with some of my fellow gunnerz, that it seems some people are making it out as if theyve reached thier peak at 19, they havent, and they probably wont for at least another 2, 3 years. so relax and enjoy the upcoming season. :angel

Top Bottom