Wengers biggest mistake not signing a right player..

Discussion in 'Arsenal Talk' started by Anonymous, Sep 1, 2004.

1. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Wenger will live to regret not being able to sign either angulo or trasbei this week as this decison could have serve implications on our season,especailly at the climax when we shud hopefully be challenging for all honurs,both domestically and in europe.

The lack of potential quality cover a right sided player(rb or rm) could have given us wont be felt untill about march april time.But by then it will be too late,as our lack in squad depth(esp on the right) will cost us(as it did last year and the year b4) success.I just hope he buys them in january,as i think we can cope untill then.If he doesnt then we will suffer,and wont be able to compete with the big clubs at the later part of the season where it counts.Pennant and hoyte are not champions league material.Look at ac milans,juventus,chelsea back up and look at ours....

we shud have signed shawn wright phillips,as it wud be hitting two birds with one stone(rm and rb wud be sorted as he can play in both).anyway like i said hopefully in jan he can sign some right players or else...were doomed

2. lewdikris

lewdikris New Member Elite

Ok, so who exactly are AC Milan's back up on the right wing or right back? Nothing special.

Chelsea don't EVEN HAVE a right winger, and if you think Geremi's better than Freddie and JP, you're nuts.

As for their right backs. Maybe (maybe) Ferreira is better than Lauren, but I wouldn't say Glen Johnson's much ahead of Hoyte - he's not exactly experienced.

Facts. Straight. Get. Your.

3. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

glen johnson has played for england,where hoyte has jus barely played for arsenal.Ac milan dont play 4-4-2 so a need for right hand cover is not need as much as us.Plus they have the best right back in the world anyway(cafu).Trust me arsenal lack in squad depth will cost them.MARK MY WORDS.

4. AFCG7

AFCG7 New Member Elite

We will need luck.. an incredible amount of luck to make it through until the January window relatively unscathed and still in contention in EUrope.
    As of now we have no reliable defensive cover at CB or RB.. Hoyte is one for the future but i dont know how well he will cope.

I am hoping that Toure doesnt get hurt ..otherwise we are fcuked.

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

have you never heard of the Janurary transfer window? its obvious Wenger was looking at the right side however after the Angulo snub there was no time to line up a replacement

6. Ratinho

Ratinho New Member

Why exactly??

Lauren, Hoyte, Pennant, Ljungberg, and at a strech Kolo Toure and Pires.

Name me the clubs that have such exceptional cover on the right hand side, that we face before January, that will not have equal or worse problems there than us.

This is a strange thread.

7. Arsenal316

Arsenal316 New Member Elite

If the squad stays healthy, and Wenger carefully rotates his line-up at the back end, I think we can manage. Hoyte, Cygan, and Clichy will just have to hold the fort.

Besides, we have about 10 days before we travel to Fulham. Campbell should be back for the match either against Bolton or against Man. C. We've already gone four games without our best defender AND midfielder. Vieira will probably be back for our next match, and Campbell won't be that far behind. I think we can manage. Wenger has faith in his players, and so should we.

8. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

YEA WENGER HAS so much faith he tried to sign angulo

9. ethanen

ethanen New Member

In January it will only be half way through the first group stage...
    If you think we will be out of europe by then, you don't think very highly of Arsenal or Arsène.

this is all bullshit

10. Soler

Soler New Member Elite

Group stages conclude in December.

11. AFCG7

AFCG7 New Member Elite

Lauren, Hoyte, Pennant, Ljungberg, and at a strech Kolo Toure and Pires

You're not getting my point.

We wont be able to move Toure because we'll need him at CB, Cygan is unreliable, Campbell is crocked, Lauren looks poor, HOyte is inexperienced , Pennant FReddie and Pires cant play RB.

I dont have a problem with our RM positions.. its the back line i am worried about. We didnt sign a defender when we had the chance.. i hope we arent made to pay for it..we got away last year but we cannot expect the same luck injury-wise this season.

12. AFCG7

AFCG7 New Member Elite

Uhh.. bullshit you say.. tell me how we will cope if Toure gets injured and has to miss 4 weeks...with Lauren not looking solid and Cygan not inspring confidence.. Campbell will still take a while to get match fit.
    THere are no weak teams in the CL.. on the days when or attack doesnt click we will need a solid experienced defense.

Thats why i said we'll need LUCK.
    Because we are seriously light at the back and before and in between those CL games we face premiership opposition too. Those are a lot of games to play until January having to rely on a first choice back four all the time.

13. ethanen

ethanen New Member

oh my bad sorry
    yes and we have 2 players for every position, one of them is young, a talented prospect who wants to prove himself and doesnt have a problem not playing all the time.
    I think thats the best formula...

14. ethanen

ethanen New Member

If toure gets injured for 4 weeks, we will cope just like we coped when campbell was (is) out for about the same period.
    and lets not get into another "Cygan is not good enough" discussion

15. kNiteMare

kNiteMare New Member

There is the January transfer window, but it takes time for player to settle in. Look at Reyes. I dont think you can blame Wenger though for the deal the fall thru. Angulo did a Vieira on us and you cannot really blame him. Dunno the exact detail of Trabelsi deal but it's definitly not problems on our side as far as i can understand.

But I think we will have a problem and need to ride our luck.
    Pennant still isnt proven at the top level, and i think maybe in a few years time he will become even better, but we need experience this year. Hoyte is just inexperienced. That leaves Kolo as the only backup, Cygan as only central backup, and considering Kolo is first choice Cb, the back is really thin.
    I agree i am not so much worried about midfield as Pires can cover the right and we still have Reyes and hopefully Flamini and RvP will settle by then.

16. Feis-al

Feis-al New Member

And what is your user name again! "Reyes OF LIGHT". If he gives those "Reyes", believe me we wont have much words to Mark my fellow Gunner

17. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

and Trabelsi

18. Arsenal316

Well, assuming a full line-up, I think Hoyte and Cygan are "reliable." I mean, we haven't lost yet with them in the line-up....so they must be doing something right.

Remember, in times of injury, somebody has always managed to step up and prove themselves. That's how Cole got his job. To an extent, that's how Toure got his job (With the help of Wenger converting him to defender).

Wenger said he wouldn't mind adding a defensive player. If he were that desperate, he would have found somebody. Since he isn't making such a big deal about it, I think he's willing to give his young players a shot this year. Fabregas has already made a positive impression this year. Pennant, Hoyte, and Clichy will have their roles to play in our team this year.

If Wenger wanted to find superior cover for every position on our team, then Cole, Toure, Pennant, and all our young players are just wasting their time. He knows he has a wealth of talent that are young and just begging to show off their talent. Last year we had Clichy and Toure as reserves that came out of nowhere to make a name for themselves.

This year, Justin Hoyte. You heard it from me first...... :)

19. ethanen

ethanen New Member

I don't understand.
    If Pennant and Hoyte are "inexperienced" and "unproven", and because of that shouldn't play,
    how do you expect them to be "experienced" and "proven" if we'll buy someone who will bring them further down the pecking order.

20. Arsenal316

It's kind of unfair, really. If you want to play, you need experience. But if you want experience, you have to play.

You can't have it both ways.