• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wengers biggest mistake not signing a right player..

• Thread starter Anonymous
  • Start date
  • Replies 99
  • Views 3,381

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
reyesoflight said:
Wenger will live to regret not being able to sign either angulo or trasbei this week as this decison could have serve implications on our season,especailly at the climax when we shud hopefully be challenging for all honurs,both domestically and in europe.

The lack of potential quality cover a right sided player(rb or rm) could have given us wont be felt untill about march april time.But by then it will be too late,as our lack in squad depth(esp on the right) will cost us(as it did last year and the year b4) success.I just hope he buys them in january,as i think we can cope untill then.If he doesnt then we will suffer,and wont be able to compete with the big clubs at the later part of the season where it counts.Pennant and hoyte are not champions league material.Look at ac milans,juventus,chelsea back up and look at ours....

we shud have signed shawn wright phillips,as it wud be hitting two birds with one stone(rm and rb wud be sorted as he can play in both).anyway like i said hopefully in jan he can sign some right players or else...were doomed

Are you Martin Lipton? :lol:

Has it not ocurred to you that maybe Wenger knows what he's doing? :roll:

Feis-al

How come people don't mention Senderos, Wasn't he supposed to be a young Tony Adams, I'm sure Le Boss knows.

tbbosa

And Sendoros can always cover for Toure...why worry.
Cygan covers well for Sol.

We are very O.K really. Luren and Freedie will hold the right side. Hoyte and Pennant can be brought into the mix. Pires can play on the right, so can DB10.
We have the depth!!

KingReyes

Established Member
AFCG7 said:
We wont be able to move Toure because we'll need him at CB, Cygan is unreliable, Campbell is crocked, Lauren looks poor, HOyte is inexperienced ,

I dont have a problem with our RM positions.. its the back line i am worried about. We didnt sign a defender when we had the chance.. i hope we arent made to pay for it..we got away last year but we cannot expect the same luck injury-wise this season.

AFCG7, i understand you're concern. Its the same comcern I had last season when a certain 17/18 year old was back for Ashley Cole. That was Gael Clichy and look at well he has done. I'm pretty sure he lacked match experience in the big games but when he's come on he did a fantastic job.

Cant we say that Justin Hoyte can do the same this year? Emerge as a capable backup for Lauren. He is highly rated to make it so he could do the job at RB like young Clichy did at LB last year.

Arsenal316

Believe it or not, if for some reason Senderos, Cygan, or Hoyte couldn't replace an injured Campbell or Toure, I think Wenger would consider using Edu in defense. After all, when Edu was signed, he was playing central defense at the time.

IF Wenger were extremely desperate to put some experience at RB if Hoyte weren't available to replace Lauren, I honestly would put Pires at that spot. Only because he can play on the right side of the field, and I think has some underrated defensive qualities.

In the next few days, Wenger will state his reasons why he didn't get an RB. For all we know, he did try, but things didn't work out. You'll also probably hear him say the youth are going to get a chance to prove themselves, and that the youth so far have done a great job.

Gunner Ossie

I think it is riduculous to cite kolo as a possible right back, bearing in mind how disruptive his moving would be to the centre back partnership. You dont create a stronger team by playing musical chairs with several key players.

If we all accept that wenger knows best and sees these players in training every day, we must also accept that his attemps to strenghten the right side means that he himself feels there is something missing from it, with regards to either cover or ability.

If hoyte is good enough why go after trabelsi?

RocktheCasbah

Established Member
Because Hoyte is a gamble particularly at CL level. He might be good enough, he might not be. But we won't know until he plays, and I think he will do well.

nnaife

reyesoflight said:
Wenger will live to regret not being able to sign either angulo or trasbei this week as this decison could have serve implications on our season,especailly at the climax when we shud hopefully be challenging for all honurs,both domestically and in europe.

The lack of potential quality cover a right sided player(rb or rm) could have given us wont be felt untill about march april time.But by then it will be too late,as our lack in squad depth(esp on the right) will cost us(as it did last year and the year b4) success.I just hope he buys them in january,as i think we can cope untill then.If he doesnt then we will suffer,and wont be able to compete with the big clubs at the later part of the season where it counts.Pennant and hoyte are not champions league material.Look at ac milans,juventus,chelsea back up and look at ours....

we shud have signed shawn wright phillips,as it wud be hitting two birds with one stone(rm and rb wud be sorted as he can play in both).anyway like i said hopefully in jan he can sign some right players or else...were doomed

I disagree he'll wait and sign a better player at christmas no need to rush things to meet some ridiculus deadline, Its the second half of the season thats crucial.

Gunner Ossie

I Honestly dont think wenger sees hoytes future as a right back because he would be third choice had we signed trebelsi.

KingReyes

Established Member
Gunner Ossie said:
I Honestly dont think wenger sees hoytes future as a right back because he would be third choice had we signed trebelsi.

From what we saw against Norwich and what I heard in pre season you could be right. He seems to be playing more at CB rather than RB. But it looks like he could have to play at RB if Lauren gets injured.

A

Anonymous

Wenger wanted Trabelsi, he even admitted it. So let's not be so quick to ascribe the usual tag of "le boss know wat he's doing...". I'm sure Arsène has a backup plan, I'm sure he's hoping Sol comes back and we stay relatively injury free at the back. However, it is obvious that Wenger did not get what he wanted: Angelo and Trabelsi. He may be willing to trust the kids to step up on the big ocassion, and to make exponential leaps forward, but he's not willing to bet our CL future on it.
Still, as is, we shall therefore have to adapt and hope that the kids become as good as Toure and Ash. Even then, I still think Angulo would have been a tremenddous asset to the club, and to an even greater extent, Trabelsi whom I fear will get signed by an Italian team.

kel varnsen

Established Member
i have to say, not buying a right back might be a big mistake. if arsenal sign a rb in january, he'll probably be cup tied. so that leaves us with lauren and hoyte at rb. lauren is quality, but hoyte?!? let's say we go up against real madrid, barcelona or milan and lauren is suspended or inured. our right side will get KILLED!

i'm extremely disappointed; arsenal needed a new right back.

Arnie

I've always accepted we don't have a right midfield,

our group stage will be easy then we can go buy some guy who isn't cup tied in january to play rb cos i'm also concerned about that position!!

A

Anonymous

kel varnsen said:
i have to say, not buying a right back might be a big mistake. if arsenal sign a rb in january, he'll probably be cup tied. so that leaves us with lauren and hoyte at rb. lauren is quality, but hoyte?!? let's say we go up against real madrid, barcelona or milan and lauren is suspended or inured. our right side will get KILLED!

i'm extremely disappointed; arsenal needed a new right back.

I agree.Imagine if the real madrid team played arsenal and b4 kick off they looked at the arsenal back line(assuming the worst scenario with a few injuries) they wud laugh at the prospect of playing agsaint cygan and hoyte(and quite possibly hotye wud **** himself)Figo wud destroy hotye even with a blindfold on.Wenger has serioulst screwed up here.He shud have got a rb.This decison has cost us the chance of winning the cl.bad wenger

A

Anonymous

We need a right back, but not really that badly.

Lauren will continue to do a job, but his last performance has dented my confidence in him.

After him we have Hoyte and Kolo. Now Hoyte is a great young player - but I think AW sees him as a centre half going by pre season and Norwich. He has also been on the bench ahead of one of the supposed best young centre backs in the world.
This either says Hoyte is a great CB, or more likely Senderos is not a good as we thought.

Then there is Kolo, who did a great job there last season. But moving him would mean Cygan would play at CB. No thanks.

Trabelsi, Fathi and the guy from Beveren shows AW is aware of this problem and I expect we will sign someone in January.

gunnertilldeath

Established Member
i think we will be fine TBH. on the right side of the midfield, there is freddie, pennant and pires( many of you seem to forget that he plays on the right for france and has done so for us many times, even as recently as the boro game). at rightback, i think hoyte is a bit weak but given experience, he will be very solid. we all know he can play there and is full of potential. kolo could be moved there as well as a last resort. there. each position covered by three quality players. RB does give me a little worry but i really dont believe in this doom's day nonsense that we will rue not signing them come april. if Arsène feels the need to get someone, they will arrive at christmas. do not fret. Arsène knows...

A

Anonymous

wenger is known for altering the way palyers play(changing henry from a winger to a striker,toure from midelfielder to cb) so why cant he make one of the midfielders we have(i,.e gliberto) into a right back?..this may sound stupid,but then again who the hell could have predicted henry wud be a world class striker and toure a sensational centre back.stranger things have happened.

what about Stuart taylor as right back?...nah,thats one step to far.lol

Top Bottom