• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Transfer Targets: Summer 2017

Will we make another signing(s) this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

ArtetaCognition

Granit Xhaka Enthusiast

Some of the **** I'm reading in the media today, man.

Crossy is crediting us for not selling Alexis Sanchez, despite us agreeing to do exactly that. The only thing stopping us being that Lemar didn't want to join this absolute circus and thus, by default, we had to keep Alexis.

Now, it seems that the narrative has again changed (as it so often does) to being that much of Wenger's tactical failings are a result of lack of investment from Kroenke or the absence of David Dein.

Indeed, it is nothing to do with the tactical modernisation of the ever-changing game. The last time we won the league, the majority of Europe couldn't even tell you what a false nine was. The majority of English football fans had never ever seen a back five in the Premier League.. pressing as a team was a rarely deployed strategy. These are now the staples of modern football - a world which has left Wenger behind at the elite level.

It's embarrassing to me that such lazy narratives can be thrown out and labelled as sports journalism, or that such antiquated individuals can continue to make money out of spouting this tripe.

Like I said before City didn't want him enough. If they got him then great they had brilliant attacker, but if they didn't get him they still have the best attack in league and have upset a big player at another club.

YeahBee

Terrible hot takes
Alexis Sánchez to stay after Arsenal run out of time to sign Thomas Lemar

Arsenal met Monaco’s £92m price for forward Thomas Lemar

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2017/aug/31/alexis-sanchez-manchester-city-arsenal-improved-bid

Monaco’s Thomas Lemar was the one they wanted and, incredibly, they met the Ligue 1 champions’ €100m (£92m) asking price. City, meanwhile, put forward a second cash offer for Sánchez, which was worth £55m plus £5m in add-ons. Arsenal were inclined to accept it.

But with Lemar playing for France against Holland in a World Cup qualifier – he scored twice in a 4-0 victory on Thursday night – Arsenal said they ran out of time to conclude what would have been a complicated financial package – not to mention put Lemar through a medical. And so, to the disappointment of Sánchez, who had pushed for the move, he found the path to the Etihad Stadium was blocked.

The fervent hope at the club is that Sánchez will demonstrate his innate fighting spirit and reapply himself when he returns from the international break. But against that is the feeling in some areas of the squad Arsenal might have been better off to cut their losses on a player who no longer wants to be there.

Certain players have had their fill of the Sánchez situation and everything that has gone with it. After the Wenger contract saga of last season, they are conscious that Sánchez promises to be this season’s distraction.

I say good

Lemar would have a too great pressure on him with that kind of price tag
Especially in our shambles team

One Love

How are we going to buy two wingers, an attacking mid, centre back, goalkeeper, and center mid all in one window next summer? #Shambles

Özil and Alexis are 100% gone and it'll take well over £100 million to replace them.

We needed at least one of Lemar/Draxler now, and you can't convince me otherwise.

{reed}

Poundland GDeep
How are we going to buy two wingers, an attacking mid, centre back, goalkeeper, and center mid all in one window next summer? #Shambles

Özil and Alexis are 100% gone and it'll take well over £100 million to replace them.
We are not buying two wingers, an attacking mid, centre back, goalkeeper, and center mid all in one window next summer.
#ITKDebut

One Love

We are not buying two wingers, an attacking mid, centre back, goalkeeper, and center mid all in one window next summer.
#ITKDebut
Exactly my point. Walcott, Welbeck, Elneny, Coquelin, Holding......all possible starters in 2018-2019. Scary thought.

We have to Hope and pray that Reiss is the next superstar teenager.

Rimaal

Mesmerised By Raccoons
Trusted ⭐
I really don't mind not getting Lemar. What I can NOT believe is that we went through this window without signing a CDM or a CB. :mad::mad::mad: Any news on Kos' injury from yesterday?

And that Debuchy might be our backup for Bellerin :lol: or is it Chambers?

Last edited:

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐

We needed at least one of Lemar/Draxler now, and you can't convince me otherwise.

My fear isn't being able to rebuild, it's that the rebuilding will fall to Wenger. We need a new manager to undertake the rebuilding and move the club forward.

Rebuilding a team on a limited budget isn't a difficult task if you have a clear plan and you sell while you buy. You need the right system in place and a manager that attracts players.

sub_sub

Just read the Ornmeister's comments, the idea of saving money for next two transfer windows when we will end up losing more players who will want to jump a sinking ship, so will end up having to spend more money to buy a new squad???? Bonkers

blaze_of_glory

My guess is we were so dependent on getting the right amount of money from City to go big for Lemar that by the time they actually offered what we felt we needed there was not enough time, possibly due to Lemar himself not being completely sold on the idea.

Very odd situation and dealings by both clubs. Both apparently really want a player but neither make any concrete moves until the death of the window. Why not just work it out between themselves even a day earlier?

grim_tales1

The transfer not going through is City's fault too as well as ours I think. All summer they were sniffing around saying they wanted Sanchez but they waited until the last day of the window to make a bid FFS.
We did the opposite, always saying we werent going to sell and then finally saying "OK, but we need a replacement". We even suggested Sterling.
We didn't get it, so no Sanchez for them.

blaze_of_glory

It does not seem to make any sense simply because it simply does not make any sense. To believe that with a few hrs to go in the mercato, Arsenal would make a 100 M (a club record by a mile) offer to Monaco, while hoping to sell Sanchez to City, with the two players in action the same night for their country, is to really be in defiance of reality.
In any case, two of the most reliable french journos said yesterday that there was no Arsenal offers. I would rather believe them than these clowns at the mail or the Guardian.
Yeah it's very hard to figure out which is correct. Guardian is a solid news source, but not amazing for football. Still, looking more like an offer of some sort was made, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts+

Top Bottom