• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Wenger's Transfer Targets: Summer 2017

Will we make another signing(s) this summer?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beast Incarnate

Some of the **** I'm reading in the media today, man.

Crossy is crediting us for not selling Alexis Sanchez, despite us agreeing to do exactly that. The only thing stopping us being that Lemar didn't want to join this absolute circus and thus, by default, we had to keep Alexis.

Now, it seems that the narrative has again changed (as it so often does) to being that much of Wenger's tactical failings are a result of lack of investment from Kroenke or the absence of David Dein.

Indeed, it is nothing to do with the tactical modernisation of the ever-changing game. The last time we won the league, the majority of Europe couldn't even tell you what a false nine was. The majority of English football fans had never ever seen a back five in the Premier League.. pressing as a team was a rarely deployed strategy. These are now the staples of modern football - a world which has left Wenger behind at the elite level.

It's embarrassing to me that such lazy narratives can be thrown out and labelled as sports journalism, or that such antiquated individuals can continue to make money out of spouting this tripe.

The_Playmaker

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
You can rebuild a squad with clever purchases. You save your big money moves for certain positions.

Players with expiring contracts 2018

Jose Gimenez CB 22
Stefan de Vrij CB 25
Leon Goretzka CM 22
Ross Barkley AM 23
Daley Blind utility 27
Marcos Llorente DM 22
Max Meyer AM 21
Luan SS 24

Players with expiring contracts 2019

Julian Brandt AM 21
Rabiot DM 22
Manolas CB 26

Mertesacker and Mustafi for De Vrij and Gimenez.
Goretzka for Elneny.
Barkley for Walcott.
Blind for Coquelin.

And that would cost you a grand total of nothing in transfer fees. It's just an example. However, we need a new manager who is not afraid of disrupting continuity and who is happy to just come in and clear out 10 players and replace them with another 10.

Gursha

Never heard such BS in my life, this club is done.

"Optimistic about this transfer window"

Thats absurd. only a miracle will make us win the league, if Nelson actually got Messi like talent...

carlito'sway

Established Member
Yeah it's very hard to figure out which is correct. Guardian is a solid news source, but not amazing for football. Still, looking more like an offer of some sort was made, isn't it?

I have browsed french medias and even the most connected journos could not confirm the offer, some have flatly denied it. We will know soon enough, the Monaco honchos will be asked about it. They usually pretty open with those stories.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
How are we going to buy two wingers, an attacking mid, centre back, goalkeeper, and center mid all in one window next summer? #Shambles

Özil and Alexis are 100% gone and it'll take well over £100 million to replace them.

We needed at least one of Lemar/Draxler now, and you can't convince me otherwise.

Well, I'm not sure where you're getting that Özil is "100% gone." I've thought all along he was the most likely among he, Alexis and Ox to sign a new contract and that still may happen. We'll see.

But even assuming he does move on, that frees up another £140k per week in wages. If Alexis, Jack, Per, Santi, Jenkinson and Macey come off the books, that's another £440k per week, which brings us to £580k in spare wages plus the 7m increase allowed on top of this year's wage total. That's enough to bring in four or five really good players while still staying within the rules. And if somehow they can manage to move Debuchy on, that would be yet another £70k. So, including about £134k in allowable salary increase, Arsenal could have £780,000 per week in available wages for new signings.

So Arsenal could have a summer similar to what City did with its clear out this summer. Of course City didn't lose players the caliber of Sanchez and Özil, but by clearing out their deadwood it allowed them to buy heavily and pay big salaries to new players. That's something the club couldn't do this summer because they were having too much trouble getting rid of overpaid players. Now, of course you're free to believe Arsenal won't do that or some conspiracy theory about Kroenke taking the money to buy a ranch of build a stadium for the Rams, but regardless of what you think Arsenal will have the opportunity to make big changes next summer.

(Edited to correct mistake pointed out by @Gooner Zig . Thanks!)

Last edited:

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Can somebody please explain to me why the transfer window closes a day later in Spain and more importantly, why somebody thinks this is a good thing!!

Within reason, each association can set its own transfer window. The Premier League is talking about moving its up to before the season starts. Spain probably thinks closing a day later is a good idea because they can still try to bring in players.

Gooner Zig

AM's Resident Accountant
Trusted ⭐

£7M per year @Slartibartfast not %

Also I believe reduction in wages from your base year (which is every prior year in most cases) counts when calculating the scope for wage increase allowance. So if we go -£7M this season, then next season we have +£14M wiggle room, though I haven't been able to 100% confirm this.

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
£7M per year @Slartibartfast not %

Also I believe reduction in wages from your base year (which is every prior year in most cases) counts when calculating the scope for wage increase allowance. So if we go -£7M this season, then next season we have +£14M wiggle room, though I haven't been able to 100% confirm this.

Ah, sorry about that. Don't know what i was thinking. That would be £134k per week, not £153 (not including any maneuvering). So it would be about £780k per week they'd have to put toward new salaries. Thanks for reminding me!

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Vidal: Sanchez to Manchester City reports were made up

Reports in Britain had suggested Sanchez had signed a contract with City on transfer deadline day on Thursday, with Arsenal moving for Monaco winger Thomas Lemar as his replacement, only for both deals to fall through.

But Bayern Munich midfielder Vidal suggested that was not the case and he also denied claims Sanchez had informed his international colleagues of an impending move.

"To whom? No, no, to nobody," Vidal told reporters after the match. "Not to me. I don't think so.

"I think it was all made up because he was very focused on today's game."

https://www.fourfourtwo.com/news/vidal-sanchez-manchester-city-reports-were-made

Slartibartfast

CIES Loyalist
Weren't there reports earlier that he was eager to join?

There were. But even if that was the case, once the whole deal seemed dead in the water he would have resigned himself to staying at Monaco for this year. Then having it sprung on him again at the very last minute just hours before a World Cup qualifier, it might have been hard for him to say yes without giving it more thought. Hopefully Arsenal can get him next summer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Top Bottom