• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

| West Bromwich Albion v Arsenal | 15:00 19 March 2011 |

Mastadon

Established Member
cuban said:
fabo said:
:lol:....you can't be serious. This is the same guy who kicked the ball out of our GK's hands in a CC final to lose the trophy for us.

Squillaci should never let the ball bounce, that's clear. But he's a ***** French CB who is not suited to English football - experienced CB who is shaky in every game, what a joke. He must be chopped this Summer.

Koscielny is potentially very good but has been nothing but average this season. Cost us tons of goals, red cards.......the lot. He might be better than Terry in a parallel universe where CB's are rated on touch, distribution......in reality you need good decision-making, ability in the air, strength on the ball, keep errors to a minimum.

List the goals we've conceded and who was at fault for each one - Koscielny will feature heavily.

kick the ball out of GKs hand? thats not how it happened, is it...I´m sure you remember it like that though...

Koscielny has this stupid habit of making costly errors, but he actually improved on that front but it doesn´t really matter because it will prevent you to look at his actuall performances during the games...

Terry is just pure MOTD lionheart hype, if Ferdinand wasn´t a crock he wouldn´t even get into starting 11 for England, let alone be captain again...

Yet overall performances will surely be affected by errors in which you concede goals surely you must see Fabo`s logic in this? Terry is a great no nonsense defender who puts his body and head where it hurts which allowed Diaby his finest moment in an Arsenal shirt. I would f**king love it if we had a pure MOTD lionheart type in our team.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Bossa said:
Koscielny played good because of Djourou. They play well with eachother. Him and Squillaci are a disaster.

Djourou has easily been one top 3 CB this season, with Smalling and Vidic.
Although I'm not convinced by the long term validity of these results, there is actually some explanation for this. Djourou is more of stay-at-home defender who remains within the vicinity of the box (both vertically and, importantly, horizontally), while Koscielny and Squid stretch those parametres more. The problem with Squid staying back is that he's not great in the air/with balls played over the top. Plus, he's not great with the offsides trap.

I beginning to think that if we get enough people back, that Wenger should at Song for CB and that's something I never really wanted to see.

Bossa

Established Member
In the EPL you need to have at least one starting CB who is big and strong. Two could also work out.

If you play two rather ''small'' defenders who arent very physical than you will ALWAYS be in trouble.

Look at the best centre backs in the league. They are all physical monsters. Its because 80% of all the EPL clubs have a big striker up front, and 80% of the teams like to play with high balls.

Spork

Established Member
I'm beginning to think that we should not be playing the offside trap, especially not with such a poor defense as we currently have, I see no reason why we should persist with something which most opposing teams at least acknowledge is a way to get past us.

With any combination of TV, Djourou and Kos, I am sure it would or at least could work out, however more often than not an opposing attacker gets through our back line and at least causes a lot more trouble than should be caused.

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Bossa said:
In the EPL you need to have at least one starting CB who is big and strong. Two could also work out.

If you play two rather ''small'' defenders who arent very physical than you will ALWAYS be in trouble.

Look at the best centre backs in the league. They are all physical monsters. Its because 80% of all the EPL clubs have a big striker up front, and 80% of the teams like to play with high balls.
It can help, but it's not necessary. I'd be very happy with a Kos/Vermaelen partnership.

Bossa

Established Member
AnthonyG said:
Bossa said:

It can help, but it's not necessary. I'd be very happy with a Kos/Vermaelen partnership.

Thats a good partnership who could do well in Europe. But it will give us trouble against a lot of opposition in the EPL.

Djourou is a must. TV is good in the air thanks to his leap.

Sell Squillaci for Samba so that we have 2 bigs.

1 big and three small CB's will give us trouble as soon as Djourou doesnt play.

ricky1985

Established Member
Bossa said:
Koscielny played good because of Djourou. They play well with eachother. Him and Squillaci are a disaster.

Djourou has easily been one top 3 CB this season, with Smalling and Vidic.
:lol:

Are Man United your second team, Bossa?

Bossa

Established Member
entropy13 said:
fabo said:
Koscielny and Squillaci wouldn't get a game for Sp**s, that's pretty telling.

They would. Neither of them is named Ledley King or Johnathan Woodgate. :lol:

Gallas and Dawson are better, it hurts but its the truth.

I wish we kept Gallas instead of signing Squillaci.

Spork

Established Member
This is true, Gallas is better than Squill. Kos is good though. I'd take him over both of Gallas and that other bloke.

This could just be the media blowing the incident up even more, however perhaps Nasri would not have been so good in the first half of the season if Willy was still in the team.

dyeruz

Established Member
The galling thing is Kompany for available for a long time, probably Wenger didnt see him as "value" at £6 million, we paid £8 for Kos, but it's all relative I guess..excuse me while I throw up :)

AnthonyG

Arse Emeritus
Bossa said:
Djourou is a must. TV is good in the air thanks to his leap.

Sell Squillaci for Samba so that we have 2 bigs.

1 big and three small CB's will give us trouble as soon as Djourou doesnt play.
Been closing your eyes when Koscielny jumps? Wouldn't necessarily be against Samba, but he's not as good as some seem to think he is. Still pretty young in CB-years though.

DanDare

Emoji Merchant and Believer-In-Chief
Trusted ⭐

Player:Saliba
AnthonyG said:

I don't think you have seen enough of them together to make that statement.

TheCMT

Established Member
Have you guys seen Capello Index its a player rating system which rates payers in terms of interception, passing tackles, foul committed, foul won etc. The Avarage rating till our Barca game for some defenders.

61.889 - Kos
61.557 - Dj
61.3225 - Gallas
57.342 - Dawson
62.225 - Terry
59.508 - Kompany
62.365 - Vidic

SA Gunner

Hates Tierney And Wants Him Sold Immediately

Player:Nketiah
dyeruz said:
The galling thing is Kompany for available for a long time, probably Wenger didnt see him as "value" at £6 million, we paid £8 for Kos, but it's all relative I guess..excuse me while I throw up :)

Sickening if true. Wenger not being able to see the value of a player who is aclimatised to the PL as well as being able to play in midfield as well.

What disturbs me most though, is the comments the boss made in midweek about "always knowing" Vermaelen would be out for the season. Shocking stuff knowing the need for reinforcement in January. A pity Im not a journalist.

TheCMT

Established Member
<a class="postlink" href="http://www.capelloindex.com/en/infopage.aspx?id=%28how_it_works%29" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.capelloindex.com/en/infopage ... t_works%29</a>

I found it quite interesting

Top Bottom