• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

celestis

Arsenal-Mania Veteran

He's obviously being baited on twitter and he's the silly type to respond--and he's responding with a bit of hyperbole for effect. But you don't want to hear about that...

Him saying he'd be better at Man Utd is his opinion. Nobody knows. So there's no right or wrong there...

Also, I've not seen any hard evidence of Özil having turned down Man Utd, PSG etc... It may well be true, and I wouldn't be surprised, but unless you're just conveniently running with a Mirror story because it makes Wright..wrong... then I think that's lame. I'm all ears or eyes though. Where's the proof?

You're looking a 0/3 at the moment. Can you almost salvage this with proof that Özil was wanted by those three clubs? :lol:

That's what I think too . Wrighty's always rated Özil , he's even said you don't buy a player like Özil to track back in defence of him . When he get's baited on twitter though all that goes out the window :lol:. It's not really about Özil more about wanting to have the last word .

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
Make no mistake about it, stats may not show but he was still pulling the strings yesterday. I’ve watched him between 20-25 times since he’s joined us, and I’ve never ever seen him being this much vocal and give directions to the players as much as he did yesterday.

I don’t know if you guys managed to see it on tv, but he was constantly telling both Iwobi and Mikhi where to go and which position to take.

I watched him when PEA missed that amazing and inch perfect pass that he gave him just to see his reaction...he mouthed something to him and clapped for him.

The best part (at least for me) was when he was about to take the corner that led to Kos’s goal at the away section, and for a reason I don’t know few Everton fans booed him...the whole stadium gave him a hand and started singing his name.

What a player.

Last edited:

SomGooner

Prolific Liker
How long will it be before he given the captaincy? With him seemingly settled and in it for the long haul, it could happen very soon. It'd be a typical Wenger move.

He was the captain of the ship yesterday. He was constantly on the players’ ears.

He had a lot to do with Iwobi’s positioning, and he kept on feeding him which I’m sure boosted his confidence.

GunnerBP

Established Member
Trusted ⭐
Following Özil signing a contract extension and the result against Everton, it hit me that currently, we have a team built around Özil and few teams have a player of such quality that it makes sense to do so.

Certainly, tons of teams have top, top players, but normally the puzzle is about figuring out how these two or three world class players can play together without getting in each other's way. We had that situation with Özil and Alexis, and for years the dilemma was trying to find a third world class player to play with them.

However, with Alexis leaving and PEA and Mkhi coming in, it is obvious that these guys want to play with Özil and it is becoming clear that Arsenal is Özil's team. I think this is a remarkable turn of events that could change everything about this team over the next couple of years.

Clearly, the team needs to improve a lot and get back into the champions league, but Barcelona is really the only team I can think of that is obviously based around one player.

Messi is the best player in the world, he also raises the level of those around him. He creates and finishes, and this makes him an attraction for world class players. They know that they won't be the best player on the team, but are positive that they will become better players due to playing with Messi. Xavi and Iniesta were already at Barca when Messi came through, but it is fascinating how Messi rather quickly became the undisputed best player on the best team, and Xavi and Iniesta became better players too.

Özil isn't on Messi's level, but he does have a similar influence on the game. He creates and finishes chances, likes passing with his teammates, and isn't a selfish player. Mkhi, PEA, Ramsey, Jack and Xhaka can become better players in a team based around Özil.

Ramsey's first goal might be the best example of this. Özil spots PEA at the top of the box, PEA passes to Mkhi, and Mkhi passes to Ramsey running into the box for an easy tap-in. That type of goal wouldn't have happened with Alexis. He would have taken a touch and tried to create a scoring opportunity for himself.

Anyways, we might be at the beginning of a new Özil centered era for Arsenal, and this could be very exciting.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
That's what I think too . Wrighty's always rated Özil , he's even said you don't buy a player like Özil to track back in defence of him . When he get's baited on twitter though all that goes out the window :lol:. It's not really about Özil more about wanting to have the last word .
Exactly. If you bait someone enough about something, the response you get is usually designed to annoy you, which doesn't give a true reflection of their stance on an issue. It gets lost, but that's what the agitators want in order to claim some sort of victory. Don't I ****ing know it!

Longy

Özil >>>>>> Wenger.
Top players want to play with top players, he is our draw card, not someone who is about to be moved on.

My view is Özil re signed because he knows what is coming and who is coming.

pacstud

Özil >>>>>> Wenger.
Top players want to play with top players, he is our draw card, not someone who is about to be moved on.

My view is Özil re signed because he knows what is coming and who is coming.
Beyond respectfully disagree.

He resigned for a "max" contract on a top club that seems intent on giving him tools.

Some go to clubs to win, others bring the winning to the club.

Clearly, Özil is the latter.

Longy

I agree.

I'd much rather personally leave a legacy at a club of a real clubman than chase a couple of trophies.

But with all the conjecture of Wenger going or not going, you'd be asking questions before committing your last big contract.

pacstud

I agree.

I'd much rather personally leave a legacy at a club of a real clubman than chase a couple of trophies.

But with all the conjecture of Wenger going or not going, you'd be asking questions before committing your last big contract.
I think that transitioning a Wenger departure and wanting a brass ring aren't inherently separate.

One last hurrah with the maestro and a pre-built squad for the heir.

Longy

I think that transitioning a Wenger departure and wanting a brass ring aren't inherently separate.

One last hurrah with the maestro and a pre-built squad for the heir.
I've heard the one last hurrahs to many times....

I think Gazidis is stacking him team and Wenger does not survive.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Following Özil signing a contract extension and the result against Everton, it hit me that currently, we have a team built around Özil and few teams have a player of such quality that it makes sense to do so.
It's that old argument again... I don't think the team is built around him at all--it's just very reliant on him. I don't believe any team is intentionally built around any player. The notion doesn't even make sense imo.

pacstud

I've heard the one last hurrahs to many times....

I think Gazidis is stacking him team and Wenger does not survive.
I thought he should have been gone last year. But I also don't blame him for our ails. I think we'll see that the roster improvement will lead to Wenger magically regaining his knowledge of the game. Just my thought.

If he survives this contract and somehow re-signs...no, I'd disagree with that.

Earlier? For who?

Longy

I thought he should have been gone last year. But I also don't blame him for our ails. I think we'll see that the roster improvement will lead to Wenger magically regaining his knowledge of the game. Just my thought.

If he survives this contract and somehow re-signs...no, I'd disagree with that.

Earlier? For who?

Wenger is the common denominator for our failings, especially in the last 2 seasons.
I think this last month has shown that there are others now holding the power and he will be let go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom