• ! ! ! IMPORTANT MESSAGE ! ! !

Discussions about police investigations

In light of recent developments about a player from Premier League being arrested and until there is an official announcement, ALL users should refrain from discussing or speculating about situations around personal off-pitch matters related to any Arsenal player. This is to protect you and the forum.

Users who disregard this reminder will be issued warnings and their posts will get deleted from public.

Mesut Özil: Time to Move Ön?

Do you want Özil sold this summer?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Fabergas era was different our team was young back then and play attractive football just like Sp**s but mentally we were poor and won nothing
It was a stronger era with much better teams finishing above us. That's all it was. You really think we were any weaker or disorganised back then than we are now? The only thing that makes people think we're any better than we were back then is a few wins in cup competitions.

Did we ever finish 16 points off 4th place? That is so ****ing bad that I still can't process it, and doubt I ever will. Everybody loses the right to **** on that Fabregas era because of now.

Oh but Özil plays for us, so we must be better now... Gimme a break ffs. One man never made us back then the same as now. Snap out of it, fannies.

I'm astonished that people **** on that era, as if we've actually improved since. Incredible.

Last edited:

blaze_of_glory

It was a stronger era with much better teams finishing above us. That's all it was. You really think we were any weaker or disorganised back then than we are now? The only thing that makes people think we're any better than we were back then is a few wins in cup competitions.

Did we ever finish 16 points off 4th place? That is so ****ing bad that I still can't process it, and doubt I ever will. Everybody loses the right to **** on that Fabregas era because of now.

Oh but Özil plays for us, so we must be better now... Gimme a break ffs. One man never made us back then the same as now. Snap out of it, fannies.

I'm astonished that people **** on that era, as if we've actually improved since. Incredible.
Not sure it matters which team was better, or if they are mostly the same. I'd take this iteration with the cup trophies over the Cesc years every time. Those seasons were heart-wrenching and ended in disaster.

Zaza

We were terrible defensively during the project youth era. I think we got better defensively from 2012/13 to like last season. People don't realize that Wenger isn't as gung ho as before. What makes it sad is he's also confused. Can't play peak Wengerball anymore, can't also be solid at the back. It's just crazy.

Mark Tobias

Mr. Agreeable

The teams winning it these days have had massive money spent on every single position..... we haven't improved but the rest of the league is stronger

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
Not sure it matters which team was better, or if they are mostly the same. I'd take this iteration with the cup trophies over the Cesc years every time. Those seasons were heart-wrenching and ended in disaster.
This is it really, both failures in their own ways. It’s nice to end a season on a high, which we have done recently, and I’d obviously take the cup triumphs over the baron years in hindsight. However it wouldn’t and shouldn’t be indicative of what squad was better. There’s a strong argument to be made for that era of failure having the better team and results on the whole.

Jury

A-M's drunk uncle
The teams winning it these days have had massive money spent on every single position..... we haven't improved but the rest of the league is stronger
I’d argue that despite the money spent, the league is weaker now, overall.

I wouldn’t want to hear anyone using that (sq** c*st) to excuse us being so far off 4th *coughmakingtrax*, when we’ve currently got just about the worst defence I can ever remember us having.

blaze_of_glory

This is it really, both failures in their own ways. It’s nice to end a season on a high, which we have done recently, and I’d obviously take the cup triumphs over the baron years in hindsight. However it wouldn’t and shouldn’t be indicative of what squad was better. There’s a strong argument to be made for that era of failure having the better team and results on the whole.
Hard to know tbh. Both "eras" had more than one team as well. Could argue we're in a different phase now than we were in 2013/14 with Arteta and Mert still playing big roles and the team being a lot more solid defensively than it is now. Cesc years had some horrendous defending but then had the 2007-8 team that was overall excellent.

On balance, if we could have a NA-style best of seven I'd probably take the best of the Cesc era over the best of the Özil one, but if it were a one-off or that series somehow came down to the seventh and deciding game I'd think the more recent team would win.

Gooner n Proud

a.k.a. nasri_8 and Voice of Flamini
The current team are way ahead of the failures during the Cesc era. Bottling a cup against Birmingham Focking City is utterly & totally pathetic.

Bunch of halfwit losers the lot of that team apart from Rosicky.

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares
The current team are way ahead of the failures during the Cesc era. Bottling a cup against Birmingham Focking City is utterly & totally pathetic.

We would've bottled a final vs Hull City if it wasn't for Santi. I dunno if you can call them bottlers when both the current and previous teams had the same problem it's just that we have better players now.

Overall, the "Cesc years" were more stable. They may not have won anything, but overall, the seasons could be seen as more successful. The "Özil years" have generally been a mess. I'd say the "Özil years" have been a true transitional period. But since Janaury 2018, the mess is no more. We are heading into our most successful years since "The King" left.

Apex

Overall, the "Cesc years" were more stable. They may not have won anything, but overall, the seasons could be seen as more successful. The "Özil years" have generally been a mess. I'd say the "Özil years" have been a true transitional period. But since Janaury 2018, the mess is no more. We are heading into our most successful years since "The King" left.
I hope so, but it’s not looking well. We’re sitting outside the top 4 in epl, will probably lose against Atletico in Europa if we face them, half of our starters are trash, our manager is no longer fit to manage and Özil is the highest paid player in the league.

avalonhse

I hope so, but it’s not looking well. We’re sitting outside the top 4 in epl, will probably lose against Atletico in Europa if we face them, half of our starters are trash, our manager is no longer fit to manage and Özil is the highest paid player in the league.

No matter we win or lose EL, Özil is not the highest paid player in the league. And KDN, Hazard, Pogba, Salah... will definitely have higher wages than Özil when they sign new contracts.

Jojoba

They lost 4-1 and 4-2 to Liverpool, 4-0 to United, 5-1 to Sp**s in the space of 2 seasons. Same with the 4-1 and 3-0 losses to Chelsea the Emirates.

Man City, Liverpool and Sp**s are also much stronger now than they were in Fabregas' era.
The EPL was much stronger back then. When was the last time an EPL club made the CL final in the last 5 years? Back then the likes of United, Arsenal, Chelsea and Liverpool were regular Semi finalist and Finalists in the CL. In this EPL era, Liverpool, Chelsea, United and Arsenal have all finished outside the Top 4 and the likes of Leicester have won the EPL. How can you say that teams are more stronger now? It is the other way around. The league has gotten closer due to Clubs like Arsenal and other Top clubs regressing. Arsenal have been stagnant and finally became a poor team. You can’t tell me EPL is much stronger today.. No way. The stats don’t back you up..

Trilly

Hates A-M, Saka, Arteta and You
Trusted ⭐

Did we ever finish 16 points off 4th place?
You better be talking about some hypothetical world because there's no way we're this bad.

Bloody hell we are, wow oh wow. Accepted that we weren't getting fourth so early that I just stopped looking at the table, that's actually disgusting/pathetic/you name it. Quite funny too as there's no doubt that one of Wenger's targets was to get back in the top four.:lol:

BigPoppaPump

Reeling from Laca & Kos nightmares

Why do people always go on about Rosicky? He was lightweight and injured all the time. Pointless player.

And no one's mentioning Arsène never took domestic trophies seriously back int he Cesc era, he'd play youth teams and **** guys instead of our best players.

Kobi

I Know Who You Are
The team which beat Sp**s ten years ago
Arsenal: Almunia, Sagna, Toure, Silva, Clichy, Hleb (Song Billong 90), Fabregas, Diaby (Rosicky 56), Flamini, Adebayor, Van Persie (Denilson 85).
Subs Not Used: Fabianski, Walcott.

is streets ahead of anything we have produced recently, pace, power and technical ability, plus most of them were still young.
A combination of greed, oil money and injuries stopped that team from being great.
It was only really lacking a competent goalkeeper, compared to this team which lacks a goalkeeper, a defence, a midfield and a decent winger (and before January a striker).

They also played fast exciting football as opposed to slowly and lethargically passing from side to side hoping the opposition get bored and lose concentration.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom